Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

A guitar shaped building made out of legos. Truly something unique for Nashville.

Well heck we need to bring back some daring architecture to the USA.  

How about a tower like the CN, Tokyo Sky Tree, Las Vegas Stratosphere, or the tower in San Antonio?  Lol I would rather see that instead of a giant guitar! 

Or how about a skyscraper that resembles the WSM tower in Brentwood? Lol it would make for a nice pinnacle to a building.

Hey all.  New to the boards but have been reading for a while.  I work downtown in the Ragland building on 2nd and Korean Vets Blvd and can keep my eyes open on things in the land of SoBro.  I can get some pics out of new Hilton Garden Inn development and everything else going on... especially the guitar shaped buildings made from Legos.  

• Like 2

Hey all.  New to the boards but have been reading for a while.  I work downtown in the Ragland building on 2nd and Korean Vets Blvd and can keep my eyes open on things in the land of SoBro.  I can get some pics out of new Hilton Garden Inn development and everything else going on... especially the guitar shaped buildings made from Legos.

Ha!

Welcome to the boards! Glad you decided to start posting after lurking for a while.

• Like 2

Yes, keep us up to date! Pics are always welcome and a bonus!! Welcome to the boards!

• Like 2

Welcome!!

• Like 1

Welcome! 

• Like 1

Took a walk by the future Hilton Garden Inn site. They are still core drilling. The south building has asbestos too so I'm not sure if that would delay any demolition.

The site is on a spike in elevation so even a moderate 11 story building will look tall from a distance. Especially with no other tall buildings adjacent.

• Like 2

Here is an article from the Ledger about SoBro and the pedestrian Bridge.

http://www.nashvilleledger.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=64274

It's interesting...I always thought the pedestrian bridge would connect with Pine...it would have better access into the middle of the Gulch. But perhaps where they are thinking of putting it, it would help spark growth along the Division side of the Gulch, behind ICON and around Yazoo. I can see how the current pedestrian access (dark low underpass on 8th) would make this a much more appealing bypass.

Speaking of which...that seems like the perfect spot for a bridge mural...something that would welcome you to downtown Nashville.

• Like 1

It's interesting...I always thought the pedestrian bridge would connect with Pine...it would have better access into the middle of the Gulch. But perhaps where they are thinking of putting it, it would help spark growth along the Division side of the Gulch, behind ICON and around Yazoo. I can see how the current pedestrian access (dark low underpass on 8th) would make this a much more appealing bypass.

Speaking of which...that seems like the perfect spot for a bridge mural...something that would welcome you to downtown Nashville.

It looks to me in the map like it's connecting to Pine behind Pine St Flats, Pine has been extended to connect to Gleaves, or maybe it always did and I just didn't know it, and there's a green strip between the road and the RR ROW.   So the bridge comes across the parking lot between Cummins Station and Cannery Row and it has quite a wide area it can hit and lead you to Pine if you go right and Gleaves if you go left, this is just where I'd imagined it.

They really need to add some lighting to that underpass, it's spooky as heck at night and there's usually a few homeless guys lurking around there, probably harmless but not exactly attractive to pedestrians.

For now, Historic Nashville is more concerned about hotel development on Lower Broadway, in particular the corner of Second Avenue and Broadway that has been an on-again, off-again hotel development site for years.

“The proposals that have come up involve putting a hotel in on what is now surface parking, and wrapping it around some existing, two-story historic buildings,” Jones says.

“Yes, they would be restored, but they’d also have a multistory hotel looming over them. We’re just keeping our fingers on the pulse of the whole area, because there’s a lot of good redevelopment going on but everyone needs to be really careful.”

I think those buildings would look great with a multistory hotel looming over them. What do these people want, a museum? A vibrant city means weaving the old and new together.

Well, here is a little carrott for you guys. I have known somethnig may be up but this is part of what I know and confirms what I am hearing. Surveyors were on the SoBro site yesterday. I think Tony G is closer to a start here.

WW has a blog post in the Post this morning.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/2/7/site_work_done_for_proposed_sobro_skyscraper

• Like 3

Thanks Ron.  This would be a nice project to help Tony shake the rep that he is "all hat and no cattle". I think that's unfair, but the Signature proposal was a very high profile one, and when it died, it got a lot of press.  Still wish it were 10-15 floors taller.  I mean if you guys are going to be the "new Austin"... they have that sleek new "tallest" apartment tower and all.  So looking at Nashville's skyline and it's ridiculously flat appearance (as if there were some force in the atmosphere keeping buildings below 500 ft.), I am starting to wonder if there really are either regulatory or cost restrictions on building something over 400 ft.  I mean is it really that much more expensive to go higher, as opposed to say wider?  From the looks of the SoBro proposal, it looks awfully wide.  What if it were more narrow and a bit taler?  Just asking.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

So how would the building be oriented? Widest (curvy) side facing the river?  That would make some sense as the garage is sort of "tacked on" to the back where the original design blocked the Encore windows? The curvy sides would help the apartments on the west side also have a view of the downtown skyline too. Is that the way it will go?

Edited by MLBrumby