Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I really hope that one gets built.  I don't know if I've ever been this excited about a low rise office building!  It's just the type of unique design that the city needs to set itself apart.

Yes, I'm on board with this one as well. There are a few cool designs here or there that have been proposed...but I just love this one. The office part looks like a human aquarium. It looks like there's sort of an open air plaza underneath the office portion level with Demonbreun, and it looks like the southern end of the building along 11th could support retail. It just seems like it would be a very cool project.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think that building looks awful. While I do like the look of the upper floors, I'm not so crazy about the stilts. More importantly, the fact that the Demonbreun St. Elevation is nothing more than a parking garage is severely disappointing. I think its great for a building to tie into an existing bridge, but not with a parking garage. Maybe the 11th st. elevation has some human scaled elements to it, but it's impossible to tell from this rendering. Even if there is retain on 11th, I'm guessing that it will be setback enough, and behind big support columns, that it will not be very inviting.

I do think the upper floors are a nice design, but this is a likely case of the difference in rendering vs. reality. The floor to ceiling glass looks great in a rendering, but in reality all you will see is 5 floors of hanging blinds.

I personally think this is a very 1970's design. Not looking forward to it.

Edited by nashvillwill

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think that building looks awful. While I do like the look of the upper floors, I'm not so crazy about the stilts. More importantly, the fact that the Demonbreun St. Elevation is nothing more than a parking garage is severely disappointing. I think its great for a building to tie into an existing bridge, but not with a parking garage. Maybe the 11th st. elevation has some human scaled elements to it, but it's impossible to tell from this rendering. Even if there is retain on 11th, I'm guessing that it will be setback enough, and behind big support columns, that it will not be very inviting.

I do think the upper floors are a nice design, but this is a likely case of the difference in rendering vs. reality. The floor to ceiling glass looks great in a rendering, but in reality all you will see is 5 floors of hanging blinds.

I personally think this is a very 1970's design. Not looking forward to it.

Yeah, I think you're in the minority.  I really like this design.  With every project there's this question of how it addresses the street, which often comes down to small details you can't be sure about until it's built.  I would hope this structure would truly tie the two levels together, providing another pedestrian connection between the two road levels. 

I've seen better looking stilts, though:Toronto_zps6ed643ea.jpg

I found these images on Baker Barrios's website http://www.bakerbarrios.com/#portfoliodetail=175=1 but I didn't find any further explanation.  This must be the new apt. building slated to start in March at RMH, I wonder how current these plans are.  Early word was there would be Art Deco touches but they obviously went Industrial instead.

RMH_images_3_zps2e359d89.jpgRMH_images_2_zps68d0ada2.jpgRMH_main_zps0e09d17e.jpgRMH_images_1_zpsf1ca15fa.jpg

One of the 3 images doesn't show the smokestack, as though they aren't sure they'll be able to stabilize it? It definitely makes a great feature right at the entrance.  I think this will be a great addition to RMH, which is already very cool despite its very incomplete, unfinished atmosphere and the surface parking to the north.

Edited by Neigeville
  • Like 3

I took a walk Saturday after meeting WW at the new coffee shop
in Germantown called
the Red Bicycle. Great addition to Germantown
and the coffee is kicking.

Here are a few shots for you.

Older apartment building being renovated. This is on 4th.
Not a fan but better than nothing.

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013033.j

Last building going up at the 5th & Garfield project.

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013028.j

6th and Garfield

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013026.j

Evergreen Project at 8th and Hume

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013015.j

Demolition work at Werthan for the new apartments there

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013010.j

Sign for Luxus @ 5th and Monroe

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013005.j

New construction behind 4th and Monroe. A 2nd phase

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013004.j

The square @ 4th and Madison

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013001.j

• Like 1

This should be starting very soon. I have known there was to be a rendering coming but was hoping WW could have gotten it first for the Post. He has been in contact with them. Looking forward to this one as well. We are going to have a lot of cranes up in the very near future all over town.

• Like 1

Just looking at it again, it appears this one will have the first floor geared toward either restaurant or retail, which will really help solidify RMH as a true mixed use development.

Which makes me wonder...what is the parking situation here? It appears they have internal parking. I wonder if any of that will be reserved for retail visitors.

If they don't...I think metro needs to seriously consider a large below ground public garage (at least a few hundred spaces) if they want there to be enough parking to support new retail in the area.

I don't think street parking will cut it with that many residential units planned (in the overall development).

There is so much momentum in this area. It will have a great neighborhood feel. I really like everything happening here, and we don't talk about it much on this board.

We've discussed it a few times at the forum meets. It may be the quietest hot area in town. So much flies under the radar...if it weren't for the folks here digging some of this info out of the internet abyss...or just taking a walk or drive through the area, you'd never know much of this is happening. The 10ACN doesn't seem to pay much attention to it.

There are still a number of properties to develop...but eventually I think this will be one of Nashville's most complete and most lively urban neighborhoods.

WOW!  I know I certainly had no idea that so much was going on here!  I love the scale of the development going on in Germantown, and what's even better is that it all seems to be high quality development, built right up to the street and and taking advantage of every square foot of each lot.  This is going to be a dynamite neighborhood in no time!

Yeah, I think you're in the minority.  I really like this design.  With every project there's this question of how it addresses the street, which often comes down to small details you can't be sure about until it's built.  I would hope this structure would truly tie the two levels together, providing another pedestrian connection between the two road levels. 

I've seen better looking stilts, though:Toronto_zps6ed643ea.jpg

I have been to this building, and it is stunning in person. As I recall this is an art college and the piles, or support columns represent either pencils or crayons.

The art deco details inside the Sevier building are similar to those in the lobby of the Frist.   The building is a work of art.  As is, the Cordel Hull building is uninviting, but that could be addressed if redeveloped.   I'm curious what scenarios will emerge.   It would be sad to lose any of these buildings around the capitol.  However, this area has seen major redevelopment many times over the years.  Back in the day, huge Victorian homes lined the same streets.

The Hull building would not be as big of an architectural loss, but a loss nonetheless. Unfortunately, it may prove to be too costly for a private developer to save it.

The Sevier building...destroying that would be downright criminal. We don't have a ton of Art Deco architecture to begin with. Losing this would be awful. Hopefully, since there's nothing suggesting that it is on the chopping block (yet), then perhaps the state sees the value in keeping that one.

If the state plans to vacate the Hull building, then they should just sell the property as is. That would at least leave the opportunity for some sort of reuse...or possibly a worthwhile redevelopment (it's location next to the Municipal Auditorium and bus terminal at least makes it an attractive property).

However, knowing our wonderfully shortsighted state officials, it would not shock me at all if they tore it down and plopped a surface parking lot there for state employees. If they tear it down, they should at least be obligated to replace it with a modern, tasteful government building. I'm just not optimistic about that.

How can they consider tearing down a building like Cordell Hull when the Andrew Jackson Building is just sitting right in front of them??

Not sure this is the correct thread....

I spoke with PPG/Porter Paints on Charlotte today and they said their lease is up in October and they will be moving. I asked what was being developed and they have heard (as we have) IKEA, Target, Condos, Movie Theater. THey also heard of new interstate ingress/egress.