Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Hmmmmm…that doesn't seem to work either.  : (

URL Result - Mozilla:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access denied</Message>

</Error>

URL Result - IE:

The website declined to show this webpage

Most likely causes:

• This website requires you to log in

You sure that this is not an authenticated site for subscriber's perhaps?  Bezoar might have browser-session cookies which retain account info for restricted access to wherever this content is hosted.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Wow I can't believe I didn't know about this. I think I'm glad it's gone!

It wasn't that bad. I remember seeing it for the first time in 1988 when we were passing Nashville on our way to Ft. Campbell. We had been stationed in Germany before coming to Tennessee and were driving from my moms family in Charleston, S.C. That building was the first tall building I remember seeing. I think it would look nice now especially since the Batman building lighting scheme is all jacked up.

Seems that the AT&T tower is getting shorter and shorter in focal noticeability, "don't it? "  Pretty soon all we'll be able to see from afar will be the Bat-ears. (oops... I might've pushed a button [or 2])

-==-

How do you mean? Remember how it used to really stand out before it was the At&t tower?

• Like 1

In years gone by companies built there HQ's in the city where they had a major presence and where there history is.  One, that I can think of is PPG tower designed by Philip Johnson, in Pittsburgh.  I don't know if the city had to persuade them to stay in Pittsburgh.  Maybe they were threatening to leave.  Don't know.  But the city got a nice present from the company in the form of a really iconic structure.  To go along with many others.  Both old and new.  The difference from then and now was these companies grew in the same city and built there HQ's when they became more and more successful.  

Now, it's relocations that seems to be what causes a city to get a nice building.  I understand health care can't do this because it would just outrage to many people for them to build a structure that really stands out.  A comment made earlier mentioned the music business.  I don't know why a big music company would not want to have an iconic structure here.  This is Music City USA.  Hell we have our own prime time soap opera.  And I don't mean that it just means country music.  It is a huge draw for musicians, songwriters, singers and all the other folks that make there living off the music scene.  Recording studios, web designers, tour management, etc.  I wonder how many people are working for the music industry in this city.  Oh yeah, TOURISTS. That alone is the envy of so many other cities.  Try as they might, it can't be built, it just happens.  And we are lucky it happened here.  Thank someone for realizing it was important to keep Lower Broad as it is.  Other cities mentioned have large music scenes as well. The difference is, I do not believe it has as big an impact as it does here.

Was the A,T & T building the Corporate HQ for Bell South before it came back to A,T & T?  It is still a very striking building.  I think I have a point amongst all that rambling.  Why not a relocation of a major recording company and a nice iconic structure to go with it?   I think I just gave myself a headache.  One shouldn't be thinking so much so late.  We older folks need our rest.    

• Like 2

^^Part of the reason is that major labels are really downsizing...and they're often part of a larger international conglomerate (ala Sony)...and they continually acquire or they are swallowed up by another.  I've been in the music industry for just over 20 years...and I've had one publishing catalog that has been owned by 6 different companies...all from one company buying another.  The music industry is so unstable that most of these guys are just now starting to realize that renting is the best way to go.  Look at Sony Nashville.  They are selling their building at 17th and Horton and going to lease room in the 1201 Building (Eakins).

I agree it would be nice to see a huge "music-related" tower...but the only way that would happen is if all of the labels decided to join forces to come up with one huge "Music Tower" where all the labels and publishing companies were located...which wouldn't be a bad idea, actually.

Was cruising around these few blocks y'day and saw 8 new "front/back" townhouses under construction, all of them stark white, looked like a condo in Malibu

q0O2T4i.jpg

The lack of ingenuity here is appalling.  Is anything being done at a zoning level about this?  I've seen yard signs saying "Build Here Like You Live Here" and that is positive.

As stated: "the streetscape is nothing to brag about in Buckhead." The obsession on this board with simple triangles at the top of a building or a swoop on a corner makes me barf. No one has even seen a conceptual rendering of this project... Not a single one, and a flurry of total negativity. Why? Because one person stated the building is "only" 10 stories. Do we even know that?

The hight obsession is sickening. Unhealthy. Stupid really. The best city environments on earth are not forests of skyscrapers. No one lauds Dubai for its great urban living conditions. Meanwhile up the street on Rolling Mill Hill they are building a real urban community from 4-6 story buildings.

Paris is a city of six stories. Amazing in every way. The vast majority of London is six to eight stories. Washington DC...

Sorry for the lack of a response.  I just saw this for the first time. 

First of all, I apologize for the lack of clarity there.  That was just kind of a general rant, of sorts, and in no way directed at the Lifeway project.  I hope for something clean and sleek looking, but they are no multi-billion dollar corporation, so I wouldn't expect an architectural masterpiece out of them.

As for your larger point, I agree with most of what you said.  I think it goes without saying (or maybe not?) that developing a positive pedestrian experience at street level and improving the public realm is FAR more important than the appearance of the skyline.  I absolutely agree there.  A skyline is really nothing more than a superficial aesthetic thing.  To those that live and work down there amongst the trees, the skyline may as well not exist at all.  

That being said, and this is the small part where we don't agree here, the skyline is just fun to look at.  I'm passionate about architecture.  What can I say.  I like it.  I like having a nice skyline to brag about.  It's a hobby.  Am I not allowed to have preferences?  Why is it a bad thing that I like buildings with angled roof lines?  I'm not saying it's of vital importance to humanity.  I just think they look interesting.  I mean in my view you might as well be arguing that because a man prefers a double breasted suit, and likes to wear cologne and cuff links when he goes out to dinner, that it means he doesn't care about his overall health and isn't aware that he should be more concerned with his family's history of heart disease than the cologne he's wearing.  I guess I just don't get where you're coming from there.  People can't like architecture and even have strong opinions on it, AND also still understand it's relative position amongst the grand scheme of things?  Because you prefer the works of Monet over some random kid's macaroni art, am I to then assume that you don't care about child slavery in The Congo?  Haha...okay, that's an extreme example, but I think I got my point across.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

This area is actually in Edgehill but is adjacent to the Gulch.

Zoning really has nothing to do with the design features of the houses. The motivating factor for the designs is maximization of the views which are pretty incredible, although some of those views will be destroyed when the Crescent project is complete. This area will undergo a tremendous change in the next couple years. Groundbreaking is imminent for Bill Ruff's development of 19 town homes at 13th and Hawkins which will clear some old single story apartments. The lot adjacent to that toward 12th Ave S will be turned into four detached small lot residences. These will be pretty in demand as they will be within walking distance of Edgehill Village, Music Row, Demonbreun, the Gulch and even Sobro when the bridge is complete.

This area is changing to T4 Neighborhood evolving with Nashville Next so some slightly increased density can be expected. Also keep an eye on the Park Center property at 12th and Hawkins. Lots of rumors swirling about a potential sale.

You are absolutely correct in every way. Thanks for such a well thought out response.

No worries...thanks for understanding.  Basically, if I were to summarize what I my post, it would be simply to say that you and I are in agreement.  haha :)

I have been reading urban planet for years and never posted.  Nashville is at critical junction in terms of growth.  We have a great opportunity now. We are in the spot light nationwide.  What will we do with this opportunity.  Will we throw up (literally) very building that investors want because they see a demand for office buildings, apartments, hotels, and restaurants.  Or will be prudent.  So far a lot of throw up.  Not that aesthetics is everything.  The real issue in fast growth is the big picture BALANCE.  As we throw up mid rises and high rises -crane after crane pop up.  But is this energy, growth all good.  This is the time we should be looking not up at the beauty of high rises but looking down at our streets, sidewalks, traffic, and transit.  Quality of life in nashville and I will add great buildings is not based on scale but on detail.  Great design is not just on that beautiful top to that building (which is important) but in making the building work within the environment it resides in- the street, the people using the building, look up and down, relating to history.  Celebrating being there-not just glass, metal, and concrete.

As Nashville grows at this tremendous pace we should be looking for new answers to solving old and new problems.  These new answers are not being talked about and we get distracted by all the glitter and wrapping of our packages.  I fear we will infill so much that our downtown and mid town will be too conjested and our suburbia will be spread out  to infinity.  

• Like 4