Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

4 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

A little off topic... but still worth mentioning IMO. While most of us know a little bit of the back story on the slab and the former school that used to exist on this site (thanks to JFW and spencer), I discovered a bit more about the other half of the property while doing some research a while ago. Sadly someone was murdered on the Eastern portion of that site nearly 20 ago. Figure I'd bring it up before development really takes off.

If you can recall, the original site previously consisted of 2 separate lots divided down the center by a public right of way which was abandoned and deeded to the developer by the City in order to merge both properties into the large triangle that we have now. The Eastern portion of the site was owned by Orlando architect (and former Lieutenant in the Navy),  James E. Windham III who worked out the cute little retro/mod building [Gmap] that was recently demolished. He continued to work from his office well into his 70's and according to the OS and he was courteous and charitable with panhandlers in the area. He was found slain in his office, with no real leads or motives to give his family closure at the time. A few years later, a former drug addict and career criminal received 2 life sentences for Windham's murder and the slaying of a downtown bartender.

On their own, both lots were too small for any major redevelopment, but I don't bring this up to be insensitive. Just interesting to note the series of events that led to Radius being built. Who knows how things would have turned out in another timeline. Just wanted tell other half of history of the site as a tribute to Windham.

Awesome (and tragic) story, nite owl. Great job digging that up. The history of Orlando is fascinating when we take the time to find it and gives so much texture to the sandy spit of land we call home..

• 2 weeks later...

How far will this thing come over the treeline? I was comparing it to the height of Skyhouse during the 4th of July celebrations and was disappointed at the height and impact it would have at the lake.  At least it will do something to fill that gap. 

7 hours ago, codypet said:

Most of that block is owned by Highland right?  For the EPC garage and lot?

Correct and you’ll never see the roof level of EPCs garage with any cars.  In other words, that lot could go away tomorrow and they’d be fine.

• Like 1

I approached them about doing simply wrap style 7 story on the site (which we would have bookshelved to look like several buildings) but the Highland team insisted that the need that parking for their southern tower.  Said they could at most spare 84 spaces.  I would love to look at it for a 1 story podium Kasita project.

Based on Geotest there is definitely some cleanup required around DryCleaner.

• Like 1