Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

21 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

It’s way more then just this MLS deal, Cooper is going to derail so much more. Don’t you think anyone and everyone that are looking to invest in Nashville , is paying close attention to the way that he is . Is there anyway to remove him from office before his term is up? If not , this might become the end of Nashville’s glory days. 

Impeach him! lol

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

It’s both funny and alarming to read comments from readers at the Tennessean site. Their article yesterday about mls and Nashville sc getting frustrated with cooper. 

The social media comment section of the Tennessean is the absolute bottom of the barrel. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SumnerCountian said:

but don't kill the goose that is laying the golden eggs.

… with the word "golden eggs" being translated as "nearly bankrupt metro budget".

38 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Other cities they are considering include Atlanta, Charlotte, and the DC metropolitan area.  

Ha!  We have nothing to worry about there.  All of those locations have a state income tax.  If your buddy said they were  considering Austin or Orlando, then we would have something to worry about.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Armacing said:

… with the word "golden eggs" being translated as "nearly bankrupt metro budget".

Nashville has budget problems*, but we aren't close to nearly bankrupt.

* budget problems that are easily solvable with a modest property tax increase that would entail roughly a $32 a month increase paid through escrow for most homeowners.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

IMO...I wish the city would give a longterm lease to SMI for the race track...then SMI and Ingram get together and hammer out a plan for the track, stadium and mixed use buildings and make it all fit appropriately and split the cost of infrastructure.

100%!! Both SMI and Ingram have enough money to collaborate on a real solution. I understand the argument of honoring the deal that was struck, but the deal that was struck is clearly not going to work, in that there was nothing in there about what happens for infrastructure costs go though the roof. If someone can point to language that talks to that I’ll get off the soapbox, but until then I will harp on that the developers should find a way cover the overages. 

29 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Nashville has budget problems*, but we aren't close to nearly bankrupt.

* budget problems that are easily solvable with a modest property tax increase that would entail roughly a $32 a month increase paid through escrow for most homeowners.

While we aren’t bankrupt, we need to stop kicking the can down the road. The boom Nashville is experiencing is obviously a byproduct of spending money on downtown (Bridgestone), but just like the market sees an adjustment, the public sector spending needs to have an ebb and flow to allow for recovery and spending.

We rely on politicians to help work those ebb and flows into our cities economy while continuing on a productive path. I agree that a property tax increase is going to be necessary, but we should be able to use that money for Barnes Fund, Teachers Pay and infrastructure improvements in established areas (Not all infrastructure money can be dedicated to shiney new buildings). The council did approve $50 million for infrastructure, but they didn’t approve a blank check because everything costs more than expected. The previous administration clearly couldn’t price things accurately enough or couldn’t monitor costs well enough

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DMilner said:

Ingram laying all the cards on the table. Not a good look for Cooper at all. 

http://www.mendesfornashville.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Letter-to-Mayor-1.31.20.pdf

Lol if that is not good enough of a deal for Cooper nothing on earth is and nothing will ever get done in this administration. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Wow, NashvilleSC offered $19MM for infrastructure PLUS releasing metro of potential $35MM in stadium debt service ($54MM total) and Cooper rejected. It's clearly the stadium location and the fairgrounds in my opinion... For $19MM just buy the TA trucking site next to Nissan Stadium (14 acres) and never deal with fairgrounds at all plus use Titans parking. 

Pure insanity. No a single big time developer will trust Nashville to follow through on its word. Why would they go through all the committee's, planning commissions,  public talks, and Council votes if the Mayor can just say NOPE, won't follow through on a signed deal. 

16 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Wow, NashvilleSC offered $19MM for infrastructure PLUS releasing metro of potential $35MM in stadium debt service ($54MM total) and Cooper rejected. It's clearly the stadium location and the fairgrounds in my opinion... For $19MM just buy the TA trucking site next to Nissan Stadium (14 acres) and never deal with fairgrounds at all plus use Titans parking. 

I agree with this.  Go buy some land and do this yourself instead of having the city be a weight around your neck.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I agree with this.  Go buy some land and do this yourself instead of having the city be a weight around your neck.

Problem is all the additional costs and time that will take at this point. Find the new land. Close on the new land. Figure out the infrastructure necessary to put a stadium there. Go back through planning and the council to get the plan approved. Completely redesign the stadium's mechanics. Probably looking at another year at best before you can move dirt (plus all the sunk costs in design work at Fairgrounds site) vs. this plan where every thing is in place except the asshole in city hall.

Edited by DDIG
  • Thanks 1

Am I completely off on this?

Isn't the budget situation almost entirely the result of the property tax re-assessment that was supposed to be budget neutral?  And then there was a rebuttal period that property owners could have their property reappraised if they thought the valuation was too high.  But when a massive amount of commercial properties were reappraised for far less, there was no balancing mechanism in place to make sure the re-appraisal was budget neutral.  It ended up collecting far less in revenue at the current property tax rate.

Am I missing something?

Why doesn't more blame go to the property assessor?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, musiczealot said:

Am I completely off on this?

Isn't the budget situation almost entirely the result of the property tax re-assessment that was supposed to be budget neutral?  And then there was a rebuttal period that property owners could have their property reappraised if they thought the valuation was too high.  But when a massive amount of commercial properties were reappraised for far less, there was no balancing mechanism in place to make sure the re-appraisal was budget neutral.  It ended up collecting far less in revenue at the current property tax rate.

Am I missing something?

Why doesn't more blame go to the property assessor?

Yup. And then we had two mayors refuse to raise the property tax rate for political reasons and instead kicked the can down the road over and over and over again. 

• Like 3