Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

1 minute ago, DDIG said:

I'm not against racing getting a big upgrade there, I think it would be kind of neat for them to co-exist. The big problem is it wasn't considered on the front end. Megan Barry is too much of an elitist to give two craps about racing and probably part of her Fairgrounds vision was to run it out. Cooper obviously now wants it. The problem is I have no faith in Cooper to negotiate in good faith and think he is a bitter dude who wants to stick it to Ingram - so Cooper's fine with racing being a road block that kills soccer there.

That's the problem with the last 3 mayors we've had.  Instead of trying to do what's best for Nashville (like I believe Bredesen, Purcell and Dean did)...Barry, Briley and Cooper came across as more "I need to do what's best for my legacy."  That's not to say that the previous mayors didn't have something to do with our money issues by kicking the can down the road...but these last 3 just seem like unprofessional politicians with no big overview of what's best for the city.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, titanhog said:

That's the problem with the last 3 mayors we've had.  Instead of trying to do what's best for Nashville (like I believe Bredesen, Purcell and Dean did)...Barry, Briley and Cooper came across as more "I need to do what's best for my legacy."  That's not to say that the previous mayors didn't have something to do with our money issues by kicking the can down the road...but these last 3 just seem like unprofessional politicians with no big overview of what's best for the city.

I'll defend Briley some in that I'm not sure if he was worried about his legacy but more about getting elected in a short time frame and keeping what he inherited going. He was definitely weak, but he got dealt a pretty impossible hand.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DDIG said:

The big problem is it wasn't considered on the front end. 

If you don't think it was considered then you never went to any of the planning meetings, where it came up constantly, often, and loudly.

At the time of all this, what now, 2 years ago, no company was interested in the track at all. The tenants at the time where constantly breaking the rules and not paying their bills. So while it was talked about constantly, what was there to consider? Let's bend over backwards for a track that can't take care of itself that nobody is interested in?

SMI comes out of nowhere (not really) because they saw that the MLS got bonds to build the stadium, SO NOW, there is interest in the track. The MLS deal is done and needs to move forward.

SMI needs to negotiate with the city and go through the ENTIRE planning process just like MLS did. That's the fair process that everyone has to follow, if people in general (a lot of Cooper supporters and the SoF people) want to talk about corruption/broken government, what is currently happening is a shining example. 

• Like 4

Just now, PaulChinetti said:

If you don't think it was considered then you never went to any of the planning meetings, where it came up constantly, often, and loudly.

At the time of all this, what now, 2 years ago, no company was interested in the track at all. The tenants at the time where constantly breaking the rules and not paying their bills. So while it was talked about constantly, what was there to consider? Let's bend over backwards for a track that can't take care of itself that nobody is interested in?

SMI comes out of nowhere (not really) because they saw that the MLS got bonds to build the stadium, SO NOW, there is interest in the track. The MLS deal is done and needs to move forward.

SMI needs to negotiate with the city and go through the ENTIRE planning process just like MLS did. That's the fair process that everyone has to follow, if people in general (a lot of Cooper supporters and the SoF people) want to talk about corruption/broken government, what is currently happening is a shining example. 

I don't disagree with most of that. Let me say, yes it was considered / known, but I would guess Mayor Barry probably thought the race track eventually being strangled out was a good thing.  That's not on the soccer folks.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I agree, but I imagine Cooper / SMI said before we can even discuss funding/investment that will be put forth towards council, we need to discuss parcel 8C. 

Edited by nashvylle

3 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

There should've been more effort to work with SMI long ago when the first opportunity came along. As I recall, the Formosas were chosen instead of SMI for reasons that still confound me.

SMI wanted the city to fully fund like $30MM of improvements.

3 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

A massive, professionally operated complex in Nashville that includes an MLS-level stadium, a NASCAR-level short track, and several acres of vendor space has a crazy amount of potential -- a lot of cities would envy our position right now.

Well said.

• Like 2

Nashville SC ownership group responds to key question about stadium talks at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/02/05/mls-team-owners-respond-to-key-questions-around.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Another interview with Ian Ayer, CEO of Nashville SC, regarding progress of ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, employees, etc. at NBJ:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/02/05/nashville-sc-ceo-were-going-to-make-history-in.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 2

metro's request to have the SOF case dismissed has been denied by chancery court, and the case will go to full trial (I'm hearing May or June). Not good for leverage with Cooper. 

https://www.wsmv.com/news/nashville-fairgrounds-lawsuit-going-to-trial/article_e2f940e4-4865-11ea-8d13-0758487181bc.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by nashvylle

7 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Can anyone break down what are the points of this case for us lay people?

There are two cases going on- one of if the contracts for the stadium have a conflict of interest, and the second is if the 10 acres is permitted by the metro charter. 

The latter is what is going to trial (again). If Metro wins in trial, SOF will appeal as a delay of time tactic. 

I am not sure if the bonds can be issued with an ongoing lawsuit. 

Nashville SC- buy the TA trucking site (13 acres) next to Nissan Stadium and you can have the best location in the country with all the parking and access you want, plus room for Mixed-Use development!!

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

There are two cases going on- one of if the contracts for the stadium have a conflict of interest, and the second is if the 10 acres is permitted by the metro charter. 

The latter is what is going to trial (again). If Metro wins in trial, SOF will appeal as a delay of time tactic. 

I am not sure if the bonds can be issued with an ongoing lawsuit. 

Honestly, if the bonds can’t be issued due to the ongoing lawsuits the city should just purchase land on the east bank of the river near Nissan and build the stadium and mixed use component there, and let the fairgrounds rot. SOF will appeal and drag this on for eternity. 

• Like 1

So... what happens if the TN State Fair states they have found a new site before the trial date, then all metro has to do is prove the flea market can survive? Unless Cooper convinces the state fair to not leave.

“The Tennessee State Fair and Exposition Commission (Commission) is exploring potential sites for a proposed new location for the Tennessee State Fair. The Commission has determined that the current site lacks adequate facilities and is not a viable long-term home for the Tennessee State Fair. Consequently, the Commission is exploring sites that allow for future growth and event sustainability.

Expected requirements for a new Tennessee State Fair site include:
• Centrally-located within the state
• Easily accessible via Interstate
• Necessary infrastructure either in place or to be made available

The Commission is requesting Expressions of Interest from local governments, public-private partnerships, landowners or other interested parties for potential sites that would accommodate the construction and/or lease and operation of the Tennessee State Fair.

Interested parties wishing to make an Expression of Interest may do so in writing by April 3, 2020.”

• Thanks 1

The decision rejects the vast majority of SOF's arguments and bends over backwards to say that it is not judging anything on the merits and reiterates that it has not issued any injunction to stop construction.  And an injunction issues when, among other things ,the party asking for it has a substantial likelihood of prevailing.  So this can't really be spun as any sort of victory for SOF, though SOF will try.  The Court seems to be giving SOF all of the chances to make any possible argument they can make up now so they can't argue new things when they go back to the Court of Appeals again after losing.