Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

On 4/9/2023 at 10:49 AM, markhollin said:

Sinatra Bar + Grille is now open in the Southern Turf Building (circa 1895, 3 stories, at 222 4th Ave. North).  It looks like Bill Miller has done another excelsior job.

Sinatra's website:

https://www.sinatranashville.com/

History of Southern Turf Building and neighborhood here:

https://keithdotson.com/blogs/news/southern-turf-the-story-of-nashvilles-notorious-gentlemens-quarter-and-its-remaining-architecture

222 4th Ave North, Southern Turf Buidling, March, 2022.png

222 4th Ave North, Southern Turf, Sinatra Bar + Grille, April 9, 2023, 1 x.jpeg

222 4th Ave North, Southern Turf, Sinatra Bar + Grille, April 9, 2023, 2 x.jpeg

222 4th Ave North, Southern Turf, Sinatra Bar + Grille, April 9, 2023, 3 x.png

222 4th Ave North, Southern Turf, Sinatra Bar + Grille, April 9, 2023, 4 x.jpeg

222 4th Ave North, Southern Turf, Sinatra Bar + Grille, April 9, 2023, 5 x.jpeg

Beautifully done!  It is a joy to see the ole gal get treated with the respect she deserves!

• Like 2

The warehouse at 34 Rutledge Street covers 27,000 sq. ft. and was built in 1978. 

It is being converted into “The Hill Marketplace & Community Arts Center (The Hill).”    art and culture are in full focus throughout the space, as the walls of the space feature a gallery of over a dozen original murals painted by local artists, including several installations by talented local muralist, Eric “Mobe” Bass. The space will be divided into a mix of uses which include will feature a boutique farmer’s market, retail marketplace, as well as a live performance stage. The Hill will also house several food trucks inside the space by widening the the entrance of the former loading dock. Other planned uses include the addition of a coffee house and cocktail bar. It will also incorporate both podcast and music studios which is expected to serve as an incubator for up-and-coming artists. 

More at CityNowNext here:

https://citynownext.com/2023/04/18/developer-launches-proving-ground-for-culinary-community-arts-in-southbank-nashville/#more-29953

Photos courtesy of Robert Looper III:

Hill, April 18, 2023,  1.png

Hill, April 18, 2023,  1 a.png

Hill, April 18, 2023,  2.png

Hill, April 18, 2023,  3.png

Hill, April 18, 2023,  4.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The Union Station Hotel was bought by Southwest Value Partners, the same company that is doing Nashville Yards.

Union Station Hotel does remain a part of the Autograph Collection, from the Marriott family of hotel properties. I hope that their ownership under SWVP will mean that the connection across Broadway will be enhanced once the viaduct rebuild is complete. What a great entry to the core of the city!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

That could be really cool to have a passage under Broadway to link the hotel to the "front yard" of NY.  That will be a whole new entertainment district. 

I seem to remember that being a possibility. Can’t recall if there was an actual proposal or plan. Does anyone have anything on this? (Or I could have dreamt it…wishful dreaming?)

• Like 2

611 9th Ave. South in The Gulch covers 4,140 sq. ft. over its singe floor and was built in 1971 as an auto repair shop.  It will be the new home for Craig's Nashville, an American cuisine restaurant. A 4,230 sq. ft. 2nd floor addition will be part of the complete renovation costing $3.5 million. Pfeffer Torode is the architect in charge.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall. here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/metro-to-vote-on-gulch-east-side-projects/article_75047a8e-e2e2-11ed-8608-4faedd9b7883.html

611 9th Ave. South, Craig's Restaurant, April 25, 2023, render 1.png

611 9th Ave. South, Craig's Restaurant, April 25, 2023, render 2.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

648 Fogg St. covers 13,200 sq. ft. over its 2 floors and was built in 1964.  Part of the site has been occupied by Bad Axe Throwing for several years, and now the owners will add a sister attraction to be known as Fogg Street Lawn Club, which will be a British-style bowling lawn and pub.

The Fogg Street Lawn Club will span about 8,000 square feet of outdoor rooftop space (with a bar), while a ground-level pub of about 2,500 square feet will offer a soccer and rugby theme and British-inspired food and drink menu. Both spaces have been designed by Nashville-based Daniels & Chandler Architects. In addition, Katalyst Restaurant Concepts is designing the kitchen/bars. Eshelman Construction will serve as general contractor.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/work-to-start-on-british-style-bowling-pub-concept/article_8ed68512-e51f-11ed-a778-8bc1e8c86264.html

648 Fogg St, Fogg Street Lawn Club, April 28, 2023, render 1 x.png

648 Fogg St, Fogg Street Lawn Club, April 28, 2023, render 4 x.png

Looks like they will lose a lot of balls into the alley with that fence.  I see from the map, they will also have zero parking after the build out.  I am interested in hoe they intend to support a rooftop soccer area when the existing roof is sloped and the interior trusses are not designed for live loads..  I would have nuked the original building and started from scratch.

19 hours ago, FrankNash said:

^^^I suggested two years ago that the stores at Green Hills Mall should open in the Gulch and 12South due to the changing demographics.  The Green Hills Mall would make a great upscale hospital and assisted  living area.  I know that sounds crazy but I really believe this.  Long run

I think the mall will stick around but I wanted to see some upscale shopping on Broadway between the Gulch and the interstate.  I think the residents of the Gulch and the South Bank would be better served if Whole Foods was on Division in between both areas and not where it is now. Maybe the Voorhees building would work.

Edited by bnacincy
  • Like 2