NC Civil Rights

southslider

5 hours ago, kermit said:

Would the last event to leave NCover HB2 please turn out the lights....

No more NCAAchampionship events for NC while HB2 exists: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article101464492.html#storylink=mainstage

interestingly Cary takes the biggest hit from this.

The article also quotes John Swofford who says he will move ACC events (but not those occuring this year) if HB2 is not changed. He does sound like he really doesn't want to move the football game (he has very limited options based on the poor performance of the game when it was in Florida), but was clear that he will.

Edit: did the NCGOP hire a nine year old to be their spokesperson?

From The New York Times, Sports Tuesday, September 13, 2016  

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/sports/ncaa-moves-championship-events-from-north-carolina.html

SPORTS

N.C.A.A. Moves Championship Events From

North Carolina, Citing Anti-Gay-Rights Law

13NCAA-web2-master768.jpg

From USA Today, September 12, 2016:

The NBA moved its the All-Star game in Charlotte for the same reasons in July and Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski called the law "embarrassing" in an interview with USA TODAY Sports.

The NCAA cited "state laws that limit civil rights protections" and emphasized that its championship events must promote an "inclusive atmosphere for all college athletes, coaches, administrators and fans."

From The Charlotte Observer, Sports, September 12, 2016:

"The Town of Cary was hit especially hard by the NCAA’s decision. Harold Weinbrecht, the Cary mayor, released a statement expressing his frustration that HB2 had cost the town the opportunity to host four NCAA championships.

“I am extremely disappointed with this news,” he said. “We are no longer viewed as a progressive state but a backwards one which is a disservice to the citizens of North Carolina. We will lose millions of dollars in economic benefit locally."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly this could affect all ACC championship/tournament events in NC including ACC championship football in Charlotte. There are even states trying to lure the Bank of America headquarters away from Charlotte because of this stupid bill and if that ever happened it would be a devastating economic blow to Charlotte. Pat McCrory and his fellow Republicans in Raleigh have done so much damage to this state with this bill and if they are not voted out its only going to get worse. I do think Roy Cooper will be our next governor but nothing is going to change unless state legislators in the General Assembly are replaced. The state has taken power away from NC cities including the right to redraw it's own city district lines in some cities. The micromanagement is an attempt to make sure the Republicans hold all the cards.

Looks like One Term Pat is hoping to get off the hook when the courts overturn HB2:

"The issue of redefining gender and basic norms of privacy will be resolved in the near future in the United States court system for not only North Carolina, but the entire nation," said McCrory, referring to the looming litigation set to take place in November. "I strongly encourage all public and private institutions to both respect and allow our nation’s judicial system to proceed without economic threats or political retaliation toward the 22 states that are currently challenging government overreach. Sadly, the NCAA, a multi-billion dollar, tax-exempt monopoly, failed to show this respect at the expense of our student athletes and hard-working men and women."

1 hour ago, teeg said:

Could NCAA events relocate to Greenville?

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/2016/09/13/ncaa-north-carolina-hb2-relocate/90305218/

I hate to see Greensboro suffer (or Cary, etc), but since that ship has sailed, might as well dock in S.C.  

The irony being that Nikki Haley has been much more like the governor that I think most of us expected McCrory to be

28 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

And now the ACC football championship game is gone.

From:  http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/acc-to-relocate-2016-football-championship-from-north-carolina-due-to-hb2-law/

ACC to relocate 2016 football championship from North Carolina due to HB2 law

The ACC announced it would move several neutral-site events, including its football title game

The ACC has now joined the NCAA, NBA and other organizations pulling its official league events out of the state of North Carolina due to concerns over the state's House Bill 2, which is considered by many to be anti-LGBT.

For now, the decision only applies to the 2016-17 academic year but does include the relocation of the 2016 ACC Football Championship Game, scheduled to be held in Charlotte at Bank of America Stadium.

From the ACC Council of Presidents: "As members of the Atlantic Coast Conference, the ACC Council of Presidents reaffirmed our collective commitment to uphold the values of equality, diversity, inclusion and non-discrimination. Every one of our 15 universities is strongly committed to these values and therefore, we will continue to host ACC Championships at campus sites. We believe North Carolina House Bill 2 is inconsistent with these values, and as a result, we will relocate all neutral site championships for the 2016-17 academic year. All locations will be announced in the future from the conference office."

From commissioner John Swofford: "The ACC Council of Presidents made it clear that the core values of this league are of the utmost importance, and the opposition to any form of discrimination is paramount. Today's decision is one of principle, and while this decision is the right one, we recognize there will be individuals and communities that are supportive of our values as well as our championship sites that will be negatively affected. Hopefully, there will be opportunities beyond 2016-17 for North Carolina neutral sites to be awarded championships."

6 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Belk Bowl? Will ACC team play here? And what if a state team from elsewhere is required to pass on the invitation, regardless of the conference arrangements? Oh, my head hurts.

From The New York Times, September 14, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/15/sports/acc-championships-north-carolina-hb2.html

SPORTS

A.C.C. Pulls League Championships Out of North Carolina

By MARC TRACY and ALAN BLINDERSEPT. 14, 2016

Continue reading the main storyShare This Page

Photo

15ACCweb1-master768.jpg

The A.C.C.’s football championship was scheduled to be played in Charlotte, N.C., on Dec. 3. Clemson defeated North Carolina, 45-37, in the 2015 title game. CreditGrant Halverson/Getty Images

"The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Wednesday that it would move neutral site                          championships for this academic year, including the football title game and the women’s                      basketball tournament, out of North Carolina in reaction to a state law that curbed anti-                      discrimination protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people."

“The A.C.C. Council of Presidents made it clear that the core values of this league are of the utmost importance, and the opposition to any form of discrimination is paramount,” Commissioner John Swofford said in a statement. “Today’s decision is one of principle.”

Just now, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Me voting for Roy Cooper like

pressing-all-the-buttons-in-elevator_115

Found it! I found the voter fraud!

10 minutes ago, grodney said:

As I'm reading about the first Republican in the ncleg to call for repeal, I have the horrible thought of WHAT IF Pat actually calls a special session and they repeal it?  And that garners him enough votes to win the election.  Ugh.

I'm usually loathe to invest much emotion in polls, but I won't lie, this makes me feel good: 

rcp.png

12 minutes ago, grodney said:

As I'm reading about the first Republican in the ncleg to call for repeal, I have the horrible thought of WHAT IF Pat actually calls a special session and they repeal it?  And that garners him enough votes to win the election.  Ugh.

Potty McCrory is too smart to fall for that.  He knows that every vote he picked up would be offset by 10 that he would lose.  Dug that latrine a little to deep to climb out of now.  

8 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I think McCrory is done, but that's not going to change one thing for NC unless some seats in the legislature change as well.

Yup, Dems have to break the super major in AT LEAST one of the 2 (house/senate). Which is not entirely impossible. Last thing I read was they have something like 10 winnable (current) republican seats in the house. They need half that

NBC NEWS -- Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Will NCAA, ACC Pullout of North Carolina Be Final Straw for HB2 Bathroom Law?

by EMMA MARGOLIN

Exerpt from:  http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/will-ncaa-pullout-north-carolina-be-final-straw-hb2-bathroom-n647661

"College sports has been the biggest thing in North Carolina going back 70 years," said Dr. Thad Williamson, an associate professor of leadership studies at the University of Richmond and author of the book, "More Than a Game: Why North Carolina Basketball Means So Much to So Many."

"For most people, it's the thing that bonds families together. Seats get passed down to grandkids. It's a huge part of everyday life in North Carolina," Williamson said. "I think [the NCAA's decision] is going to get a lot of people speaking about HB2 and realizing that nationwide revulsion against this law is not going away anytime soon."

"The loss of the games will undoubtedly add to the financial toll HB2 has already taken on the state."

"In addition to the $100 million tourism experts believe the NBA All-Star game would have brought to North Carolina, the Charlotte Chamber has estimated an economic blow of $285 million and a loss of as many as 1,300 jobs in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg region as a result of HB2. The Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau, meanwhile, has projected the law could cost Raleigh as much as $40 million in convention business."

Archived