NC Civil Rights

southslider

7 minutes ago, ES Charlotte said:

So technically this is not stated in the bill. BUT striking down local governments ability to change law does in affect enact federal law that does.. Which bodes the question... If there's such an uproar over NC, where is the backlash on the federal government?

You mean why aren't people complaining that sexual orientation and gender identity aren't protected at the federal level?  Well, I am.  And I'm sure others are.  But that's a huge deal to get changed.  It can start at the local level.  Charlotte tried.  Many other cities in the U.S. have already added those protections.

The "uproar" in NC is that the legislature took a willful step to remove a protection.  No such thing has happened the federal level.  No, those protections don't exist, but they weren't willfully removed.  Plus the additional uproar over the other things thrown into HB2.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Neo featured and unfeatured this topic
1 hour ago, grodney said:

Oh my holy facepalm, not civil rights related, per se, but good ol' NCGOP:

IMG_20160728_103308_zpstnmaawiz.jpg

Yea, that statement by our representatives was so reflexively mean-sprited that my jaw dropped.  Their criticize-first mentality is quite telling of their mind-set.

1 hour ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Nope, no problem with that at all!

Okay sweet, I'll send this birth-certificate-female into the locker or bathroom with your wife/daughter or woman/girl you care about (assuming there are any). (Or with you, if you're a female.)  "No problem with that at all!".  

JP-Sheffield.jpg

Oh Pat, oh NC Leg......I think you all might get grounded over this one:

http://chapelboro.com/featured/4th-circuit-court-of-appeals-strikes-down-north-carolina-voter-id-law

"

4th Circuit Court of Appeals Strikes Down North Carolina Voter ID Law

We can only conclude that the North Carolina General Assembly enacted the challenged provisions of the law with discriminatory intent.

"

This is huge, I think.  It not only strikes down the Voter ID portion, but also other changes they made (early voting, same-day registration etc.) to disenfranchise voters who tend to vote democrat.

I mean they said "intent".  It's one thing to say "racially discriminatory effect", but "intent"?  Ouch.

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Oh Pat, oh NC Leg......I think you all might get grounded over this one:

http://chapelboro.com/featured/4th-circuit-court-of-appeals-strikes-down-north-carolina-voter-id-law

"

4th Circuit Court of Appeals Strikes Down North Carolina Voter ID Law

We can only conclude that the North Carolina General Assembly enacted the challenged provisions of the law with discriminatory intent.

"

This is huge, I think.  It not only strikes down the Voter ID portion, but also other changes they made (early voting, same-day registration etc.) to disenfranchise voters who tend to vote democrat.

I mean they said "intent".  It's one thing to say "racially discriminatory effect", but "intent"?  Ouch.

Now remember yall!!

Go out and vote in November! 

Oof, the ruling is much more damning that I was expecting. Based on what I'm seeing shared online, I'm a little surprised this wasn't struck down before hitting the circuit court. 

Edit: upon further reading, apparently the circuit court was just as surprised. they basically call out the lower court for "missing the forest for the trees." 

Archived