NC Civil Rights

southslider

^ I think much changes in the next 10 years, the current presidential election simply being the start, we'll also be retiring an older generation (no offense intended to those who are older) whose ways of thinking are more rooted in past views of the world.  Mainly I mean a combination of world events coming to a head but really the current generation of children coming of age and reacting to that.  It will be a new era of the internet allowing those voices, who have known nothing but the internet, using it to speak, in a way that will be a bit of a shock, imagine millions of voters aligning because of a simple campaign started on social media, and able to organize powerfully in weeks, not years.  And I think this generation is more accepting of differences, being born and raised in NC wont matter as much as San Francisco to contrast an obvious (if not somewhat superficial) example.  Anyway, point is I think McC, HB2 and many other issues will be a thing of the past, we just have to weather things a bit longer.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte schools announced a new regulation that follows the ruling of the 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals, and starting this fall "transgender students will be called by the name and pronoun they choose. That chosen gender identity will be honored in restrooms, locker rooms, yearbooks and graduation ceremonies".

This is excellent, and although not a response to HB2, it is sure to twist the knickers of McCrory, the NCGA GOP, and all of those that support HB2.

As the article closes: "Until you really take some time to understand what it is to be transgender, you’re just going to miss some things"

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/education/article84889307.html

This alleged legislation to allegedly walk back some of hb2 to allegedly appease the nba is ridiculous and insulting.  Trans certificates issued post surgery with a notarized letter from a doctor? Puh lease. Nevermind all the other crappy pieces of hb2.

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Now that we have lived with HB2 for more than three months I gotta ask, is there any evidence from anywhere in the state that shows HB2 has made North Carolinian's any safer?

HB2 is a dumb idea overall and I oppose it.  I absolutely agree that true transgendered individuals posed little if any danger to bathroom goers (I still think the GA should have addressed locker rooms and left it at that).  That said, at least in Charlotte, HB2 was passed to keep the bathroom bill from taking effect.  Therefore, there doesn't need to be proof that people are safer...is there proof that people are less safe (I understand why some may actually be less safe but using the same standard...)?  Your question would be more meaningful if the Charlotte ordinance had been in effect prior to the adoption of HB2.    

Can I ask a question that is bound to pi$$ some people off? Why is the T associated with LGB anyway? It seems like a totally different thing to me.

And I say it's bound to pi$$ people off not because it's intended to in any way. I just know some people are waiting at all hours to be offended...

39 minutes ago, jednc said:

Can I ask a question that is bound to pi$$ some people off? Why is the T associated with LGB anyway? It seems like a totally different thing to me.

And I say it's bound to pi$$ people off not because it's intended to in any way. I just know some people are waiting at all hours to be offended...

I'm gay and i dunno why also. 

^Case in point why both should be protected.  Both are contributing citizens, but often discriminated based on irrational yet sadly still fairly common beliefs like the prior post.

Race, gender, and disabilities are lumped together for the same rationale.  All have some history of irrational yet common discrimination.

LGBT is typically grouped together as the predominant non-heterosexual (cis) orientations. While each group - and others like asexual - is ultimately unique and often has grey boundaries, it's basically just the easiest way of describing everyone not straight.

On 7/1/2016 at 7:43 AM, tozmervo said:

LGBT is typically grouped together as the predominant non-heterosexual (cis) orientations. While each group - and others like asexual - is ultimately unique and often has grey boundaries, it's basically just the easiest way of describing everyone not straight.

I guess the reason it doesn't really equate for me is I see transgender people as straight (except for the ones who aren't of course). If a guy really feels like they are a girl (except genitally) and she likes guys...that sounds straight to me.

No idea what Southslider is saying in the above post.

Looks like all women will now be forced to be card carrying "I have a vagina" members of society. I am laughing so hard my side aches.

I do love that CMS has taken matters into it's  own hands and has done the right thing by insuring all Transgender students are allowed to use the bathroom of the gender of which they identify with. 

I did't comment after my initial comment regarding being transgender myself a few months ago simply because I didn't really think anyone would have much to say about it. I was a bit surprised to see it sparked about 3 pages of discussion. 

Im glad it sparked discussion. It's interesting to see the thoughts and ideas of people, especially people who are born into a country that guarantees so much to those who are born straight, and not a minority. The absolutes of being born straight and non-minority in the US is mind boggling. I can still be fired in NC because I identify as Transgender, in fact if I identified as gay I could be fired. Luckily I have always been employed with companies that have zero tolerance for any type of discrimination. Religious, sexual orientation, etc

Once gay marriage became legal nationwide I was fairly certain that the Transgender community would be the next group targeted.

Sadly 41% of transgender individuals say they have attempted suicide. 

On the good news front the US military will now cover the cost of GRS (Gender Reassignment Surgery) , given proper documentation is in order,.

Its amazing how quickly the US Military has progressed compared to the states. 

Love and Light to you all,

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DMann said:

There's my good ol' hometown " The measure was introduced in 2013", sounds about right to get something from introduction to law in that city.  I kid, I kid... 

Archived