The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

50 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

The renderings show streetlights. I cannot imagine that they won’t be installed. Looks like they wanted to get the lanes of traffic open, even if details remained on the “to do” list.

The renderings show the light poles mounted about six inches from passing cars.   We all know how that will end for the light poles.   Why in the world would you not mount them on the outside of the bridge railing?   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

The renderings show that the rather boring  poles are elevated on a concrete planter about 30" high.  While this will provide separation of vehicular and pedestrian paths, I don't see any curbing or such to keep the automobiles from damaging the planter wall.  I hope there are provisions planned that just don't show up on the renderings.  I really don't want to see a failure like the bollards on the Division streey overpass... massively poor design IMO.    They didn't last a SINGLE DAY without damage.

Hmm, you may be right.  Based on the blurb @donNdonelson2posted saying the sidewalk space “allowed for concrete planters to be placed separating traffic from pedestrians”, I was reading it to say the planters were not a wall and not part of the bridge design.  Thought they were saying the design leaves room for someone else, Metro, to have the option to install, or not, a line of individual concrete boxes (aka trash receptacles) in between the sidewalk mounted light poles.  But haven’t seen it in person and curious if the bridge as of now even includes wiring for lighting or if that is up to Metro to drill, wire and install later.   Like most, I’m underwhelmed by the finished product.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CenterHill said:

The renderings show the light poles mounted about six inches from passing cars.   We all know how that will end for the light poles.   Why in the world would you not mount them on the outside of the bridge railing?   

Looks like street lamp posts are located near the street along the sidewalk at other stretches of Broadway. 
(image from Google street view)

IMG_9401.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I think Skyscrapergeeks kid could do a better job at design than the ding dongs that designed this one. No offence Pete, but TDOT is just hiring HS grads these days it looks. The State in all of its glorious wisdom spending the bare bones minimum into the gateway of Nashville to show off the premier city of the state. 

Metro will probably do no better by not enforcing the speed limit either. All they need to do is sit there between 8 and 10 and write tickets. I will bet they will catch cyclist going over the speed limit. I saw Metro for the first time in a long-time writing tickets on Labor Day but the problem was there was not a lot of traffic out.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, nashvillain_too said:

I don't know when you were in high school, but times have changed. Lots of kids these days aren't even getting their drivers' licenses.

And lots of kids today who don’t want to drive depend on Uber and Uber Eats for their transportation related wants and needs. So they don’t want the bother of driving, but they still want the benefits of somebody driving.

• Like 1