The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

This may repeat the same thing in the article that Paul posted.

Despite high hopes, self-driving cars are ‘way in the future’

From the NYT via the NBJ

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/07/18/despite-high-hopes-self-driving-cars-are-way-in.html

From the NYT via the NBJ

“Malek said she believed it would take years and perhaps even a decade or more to develop driverless cars that could travel anywhere, any time.”

• Thanks 1

An $18 million transit center is being planned for the SE corner of Clarksville Pike and 26th Ave. North.

A federal grant application was submitted by WeGo Public Transit on Friday. The city's transit agency is asking for a $10.7 million BUILD Transportation grant, which is a specialized grant administered by the U.S. Department of Transportation. WeGo would tap $1.8 million in local capital dollars and $5.4 million in state funds to pay for the project's additional $7.3 million in costs, the application states.

According to the city's application, the proposed transit center would include an enclosed, climate-controlled passenger waiting center, additional sidewalk infrastructure and space to more easily access other transportation options, such as bike sharing or park-and-ride lots. Furthermore, officials intend to funnel additional routes through North Nashville, expand operating hours and introduce two rapid-bus routes if the center is funded

My question is why is a transit center even needed at this location or any other in the city. This is just wasting money again and you have a mayor that is actually cutting service and funding and then they do this.

• Like 2

This isnt wasteful spending. This is trying to improve a system that is hurting and if we can get the feds to cough up majority of the dough then go for it. I would make the argument that this area of the city needs the equalizing impact of transit more than many other area. We beotch and moan about the city rejecting the transit referendum, then beotch about when they go for federal money to improve the transit system. No winning?

• Like 2

Just now, Bos2Nash said:

This isnt wasteful spending. This is trying to improve a system that is hurting and if we can get the feds to cough up majority of the dough then go for it. I would make the argument that this area of the city needs the equalizing impact of transit more than many other area. We beotch and moan about the city rejecting the transit referendum, then beotch about when they go for federal money to improve the transit system. No winning?

I agree that residents in this part of town are likely using the transit system and could use this facility.  However, I wish this was presented as part of step-by-step plan to address our transit problems, rather than a multi-million dollar project that is presented as "Someone had a cool idea and got the Feds to pay for it!"

Trust me, this project will get a lot of ridicule.

Its not even in a walkable area. Most people have cars in this area of town and that section of town probably has one of the lower ridership's of any area of town. The Gallatin Road corridor has a lot more riders, then its either Dickerson or Nolensville. Why this area? Me thinks it is a political stunt! 

• Thanks 1

Metros actions normally confuse everyone. They will waste so much money doing studies that never go anywhere it maddening. Its not just Metro, as a lot of cities study something to death and never do anything. They see federal money available and try find a way to spend it, even if its on useless projects.

Sort of like all the money and time spent on Nashville Next.

• Like 1

I was in Atlanta this past weekend and saw this, on the sidewalks, in several spots in the midtown area. (approx. 18" in diameter) Good idea, if largely ignored.

Many scooters, fewer tourists riding, mostly locals - you can tell, but still mostly on sidewalks and no helmets. The Uber drivers all complained about them, without prompting from me.....

Atlanta.jpg

• Like 3

Meh. To me that would just be wasted taxpayer money. Nobody would pay attention to those.

Just throw some random "speed bumps" that are hard to see onto the sidewalks. That will solve the problem much faster than a sticker.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 1

Advanced issues found

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

Meh. To me that would just be wasted taxpayer money. Nobody would pay attention to those.

Just throw some random "speed bumps" that are hard to see onto the sidewalks. That will solve the problem much faster than a sticker.

The speed bump idea sounds tempting. Maybe a little devious, but still tempting.

As for the sign stuck to the asphalt: If it also stated something to the effect of "Subject to fines or arrest," that might get the point across even better.

• Like 3

On 7/30/2019 at 1:05 PM, bigeasy said:

Yeah, every time a scooter zips by me on a sidewalk I think about speed bumps, or maybe random trenches, or even those reverse spike thingies like at car rental agencies.     But then I think about all the pedestrians who would trip and fall over these solutions, and a bus goes by with Bart Durham on the side and I’m back to, we already have laws about this,  just enforce the ones we have, dammit.   

• Like 2