Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

1 hour ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

The level of triggering at my even mentioning the word here is pretty self-evident.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anybody even really pressed that topic of conversation until you did bud.  What "triggering" are you referring to, exactly?  

Edited by BnaBreaker

6 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Have you heard of someone being triggered by this building? Or are you just trying to start something?

9 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

It's no surprise your impressions and mine veer in different directions. Some people get "triggered" seeing any reminders of Christianity displayed prominently and are anxious to see them taken down as swiftly as possible, especially "That Cross building."

Yes, I have heard some people say they did not like seeing a building in Nashville with a cross on it. In fact, I recall a post (I'm think it was here) where one person was offended by it and did not like to go downtown because of it

• Like 4

6 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

The level of triggering at my even mentioning the word here is pretty self-evident.

Not sure you know what that word means tbh. Of the group I hang out with, 30-45, still have never heard it called that.   Moving on....

6 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

I've only ever heard it called either "the Lifeway Building" or "the Cross Building." For most people who don't know it as the lifeway hq, probably 90% of the people I've been around have called it by some iteration of "the Cross Building." I've lived in and around Nashville for 20 years and I would estimate that my friends and colleagues are probably 60-40 Christian to something other than Christian, 50-50 conservative to liberal, and 90% attended college with most of them graduating. Just to show that I didn't arrive yesterday and spend my only time here in a Baptist church in Triune ;)

As far as the discussion about whether there are people who would like to see the Draper building torn down because of the cross: while I have never seen picketers demanding the immediate destruction of it, I have come into much contact in my life (both online and in person) with a certain culture of secularists who cannot hold their glee over the destruction of Christian symbols. I do not make this claim about anyone on this board, I wouldn't dare to presume anything like that considering I don't know any of you personally, but these folks do exist and for instance anyone who has been active in pro-life movements that involve interaction with the public can most likely attest to this. So while I don't think anyone has said that they are opposed to the implosion of the Draper Building because of the cross, I can say with confidence that there are folks out there who are happy it is being destroyed because of the cross. 

All that being said, like others have mentioned I have no moral issues about it being demolished. Yeah it was cool having that building but it's their property to do with as they please, and 1991 doesn't really make it an historical treasure. 

Yes I suppose hypothetically a person could be happy it is gone because of the cross. Just happens that no one on this board knows anyone like that. Must not be a widespread notion then, agreed?

• Like 2

Demolishing a building of this size has to be a good sign for the city, right? I would imagine the costs to demolish this are pretty high, so if we have the market to justify doing this, that should be a good thing. Is something like this common across the country? I wouldn't think buildings this large would get demolished very often, even in much larger cities.

2 hours ago, samsonh said:

Not sure you know what that word means tbh. Of the group I hang out with, 30-45, still have never heard it called that.   Moving on....

Yes I suppose hypothetically a person could be happy it is gone because of the cross. Just happens that no one on this board knows anyone like that. Must not be a widespread notion then, agreed?

I agree it's not widespread, but I didn't think that the question was ever about whether a ton of Nashville's population wanted it destroyed because of the cross. If I'm not mistaken, @fieldmarshaldj's original comment stated that he had the impression that some want to see it torn down because of the cross. Which is an impression I agree with, considering the behavior fits with a pattern that I have seen with some I've interacted with.

• Like 2

You never know someone's circumstances which lead to the way they view their surroundings. When I was in the military, some of my colleagues were militantly atheistic to the point where anything you said about faith would get you instantly in a heated argument, just because they resented any sort of belief in God. That caused me to feel for a while like I was some kind of weirdo just because of my beliefs, and paranoid that outward signs like that huge cross would get people all butt-hurt. Obviously people like that are the exception and not the rule, or so I've come to think in the past decade since then. 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2017 at 5:05 PM, bnacincy said:

That gray colored paneling on that hotel behind the demo is downright ugly.

Why anybody uses that color is beyond me. Because of it, the Children's Hospital at Vandy  looks like a prison and the Cumberland bldg. on Church looks no better.

Depressing.

Ironically, that's the new paint scheme.

You have to admit, though: it looks much better in person. At the very least, it's still better than the previous color which was Pepto Bismol Pink.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/4/2017 at 3:01 PM, Vrtigo said:

Ironically, that's the new paint scheme.

You have to admit, though: it looks much better in person. At the very least, it's still better than the previous color which was Pepto Bismol Pink.

If I were the Nashville Yards folks, I would have bought that property and torn down the Hotel in order to put the new hotel there. Then on the property where the new hotel is currently being built, I would put up a space needle with the Flying Saucer (is that still in Union Station?) on top and the Polar Coaster ride built on the frame.

Something fun to have on Broadway.....

• Confused 1