The "We Need A New Outdoor Venue" Thread

grilled_cheese

I told someone that I still occasionally buy a cd the other day and they looked at me like I was an alien. 

I know the feeling. I buy cd's whenever I can, and people think it's ridiculous. But, I like to physically own the music I buy (instead of leasing it) and the sound quality of cd is so much better than any compressed format. 

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here. In fact, I think it's silly to pay $10 for an iTunes album when I can get the CD off Amazon with two day delivery for $7. And then I can add it to my collection and have higher quality music. In addition, purchasing albums helps encourage artists and producers to continue the slowly dying art of album composition instead of just one off songs. 

Same here. In fact, I think it's silly to pay $10 for an iTunes album when I can get the CD off Amazon with two day delivery for $7. And then I can add it to my collection and have higher quality music. In addition, purchasing albums helps encourage artists and producers to continue the slowly dying art of album composition instead of just one off songs. 

Buy at local record shops or direct from the artist via their website or at one of their shows.

Buy at local record shops or direct from the artist via their website or at one of their shows.

I definitely shop at the local record store, especially if I'm looking for vinyl or something out of the ordinary, or going for used stuff. It's hard to give up paying Amazon prices though, especially for mass market stuff. 

And it's rare for me to come out of a show without some swag. :D

I went to my first concert last night at Ascend, Idina Menzel, and was really impressed by the entire facility.  Great sound and visuals with the city skyline and the Korean Vets bridge lit.  Idina mentioned how cool the bridge was several times.  The BIG negative is the ridiculous prices for drinks, way beyond Bridgestone and Nissan Stadium which are high enough.  

• 1 month later...

File under the "Well, Duh" category.  Once again, this is all part of living in a big city with a thriving downtown.  People who lived out near Starwood Amphitheater used to complain as well.  I live near the Fairgrounds and need to tolerate the stock-car races on weekends.  It's all part of the deal.  Now--if it went on beyond 11 PM, I could see the complaints being more reasonable.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2015/10/07/ascend-amphitheater-hears-noise-complaints/73375574/

File under the "Well, Duh" category.  Once again, this is all part of living in a big city with a thriving downtown.  People who lived out near Starwood Amphitheater used to complain as well.  I live near the Fairgrounds and need to tolerate the stock-car races on weekends.  It's all part of the deal.  Now--if it went on beyond 11 PM, I could see the complaints being more reasonable.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2015/10/07/ascend-amphitheater-hears-noise-complaints/73375574/

Since I don't live near the Fairgrounds per se, I can say that I actually enjoy that Good-ol'-boy drone, from my outside on weekends, admittedly because I'm not right on top of it, and because it reminds me Old-Skool from hearing it during the '60s.  I know I can get sucker-punched for saying this, but just sayin',  I actually feel the same about those damn promotional searchlights that frequently surge up and oscillate into the darkness from my neck of the woods (within a half mile as the crow flies). I'm sure they look cool from afar, but not from my bedroom.

But I do have to wonder why Ascend concession prices have to be so high as the market will allow (just answered my own query?), compared to other established comparable venues around.

-==-

Wow...there's no way it's *that* much louder than the already raucous Broadway, or a Titans game or other event at the stadium. People need to learn to deal with it.

On a side note, there was this jewel from the comments section:

What did the apartment dwellers expect when they moved downtown? Let me clue in anyone thinking about downtown living. You will be mugged, knocked out by criminals and harassed bydrunks and bums. You will not have a grocery store within walking distance. You will not have a neighborhood school. You will not be able to see the stars at night. You will not be able to hear birds sing and crickets chirp. It will be noisy, crowed, dangerous and dirty. The people who used to live downtown knew this and moved to the suburbs. Can't wait for these urbanist to start riding the bus. Then they'll be suprised that they have to wait in the rain, cold and heat for it to arrive.

I guess he's not been downtown in the last 20 years.

My post from Aug. 1--I'm really surprised the noise complaints took this long to surface!

Posted 1 August (edited) · 

I was walking by the City View apartment building on Rolling Mill Hill during the EW&F performance. Sounded pretty great (and plenty loud) up there. I wonder how the folks who hated the bridge lighting are enjoying the concerts? "Nights Of Patio Peace Past. Pity!" (Newspaper headline suggestion)

If these people are looking for everlasting quiet and tranquility, they are more than welcome to move out to Cheatham County.  Nobody is forcing them to stay where they are.  But if you're someone who is adverse to distant noise, particularly the sounds of other people having a good time, then perhaps you shouldn't have moved into the dead center of a large, bustling city, mere blocks away from one of the most famous nightlife districts on Earth.  I would understand the complaints if the noise was happening at 1AM, or if they were over a house party next door, but you don't get to dictate what other people do just because you moved somewhere that doesn't completely line up with your needs.

The most relevant factoid from the article is:

Under Live Nation's contract with Metro Parks, Ascend Amphitheater can hold up to 30 events each year. However, because the venue did not open until August during its ongoing inaugural season, Ascend Amphitheater has had a compressed schedule to maximize the venue. It has brought more activity — and more frequent noise — than what will be the norm. The typical season in the future will start in April and run through late October.

30 nights a year with an 11pm curfew is very reasonable - especially considering that apparently the overwhelming majority of complaints came from 3 shows per the article.  These complainers will be the same ones loving the fact they can walk to a show when *their* favorite act is playing.  

I suppose these are the same type of people as the ones who once complained to my parents when I was growing up because we were shooting one afternoon in the hollow behind the house. They had just moved in from some northeast city and were totally freaked out about it, couldn't fathom the idea that we would shoot on our property! Sorry folks, that's something you have to get used to when you move to rural Tennessee. 

Wow...there's no way it's *that* much louder than the already raucous Broadway, or a Titans game or other event at the stadium. People need to learn to deal with it.

If these people are looking for everlasting quiet and tranquility, they are more than welcome to move out to Cheatham County.  Nobody is forcing them to stay where they are.  But if you're someone who is adverse to distant noise, particularly the sounds of other people having a good time, then perhaps you shouldn't have moved into the dead center of a large, bustling city, mere blocks away from one of the most famous nightlife districts on Earth.  I would understand the complaints if the noise was happening at 1AM, or if they were over a house party next door, but you don't get to dictate what other people do just because you moved somewhere that doesn't completely line up with your needs.

You should not judge until you experience this firsthand. I was SHOCKED how loud the noise level was at Pinewood Social and up on Rolling Mill Hill. These noise levels are not acceptable. Standing outside at Rolling Mill Hill, you have to almost yell to speak because the noise is so loud. All other businesses, private parties, etc. must not exceed maximum decibel levels defined by Metro ordinances. Of course, Metro and the
amphitheater is exempt to all noise ordinances. I was downtown during 3 concerts - the Janet Jackson concert was far above a "reasonable" noise level

Noise is expected, but the noise level is currently more ridiculous than the concession prices

You should not judge until you experience this firsthand. I was SHOCKED how loud the noise level was at Pinewood Social and up on Rolling Mill Hill. These noise levels are not acceptable.

Sitting in construction traffic at KVB and First Avenue one day, I remember thinking that the Ryman Lofts, Victorian and Art Deco all had to have a direct sightline into the bowl, though I had free concerts in mind more than that the sound system would be pointed directly at them.

Since MDHA is accepting proposals for the lots around the trolley barns, it looks like RMH residents will get a reprieve from the sound in the next few years, though at the expense of losing their downtown view. Of course, that's just moving the problem to someone else. Maybe the new developments will all be primarily office, as the proposed LifeWay tower, and therefore unoccupied when the amphitheater is in use.

You should not judge until you experience this firsthand. I was SHOCKED how loud the noise level was at Pinewood Social and up on Rolling Mill Hill. These noise levels are not acceptable. Standing outside at Rolling Mill Hill, you have to almost yell to speak because the noise is so loud. All other businesses, private parties, etc. must not exceed maximum decibel levels defined by Metro ordinances. Of course, Metro and the amphitheater is exempt to all noise ordinances. I was downtown during 3 concerts - the Janet Jackson concert was far above a "reasonable" noise level

Noise is expected, but the noise level is currently more ridiculous than the concession prices

Thank you for determining what constitutes a "reasonable" and "acceptable" noise level for everyone.  Im glad we have that settled. 

Here's an idea.  If the noise level during concerts is an issue for you, perhaps instead of limiting the concerts in our shiny new venue to smooth jazz only, maybe you just dont stand outdoors near the venue during the two hours a month there is a show there.  Just a thought.

I noticed a resident was being interviewed on News Channel 5 and was saying it's so bad that he and his wife have to go get a hotel room somewhere else so they can sleep.  He was really laying it on thick.

I guess it's possible they have an early morning job and have to go to bed really early...but 11pm seems like a reasonable time to allow loud music downtown.  People have to understand living downtown isn't going to be like living out in the country.  Heck...I live in Smyrna and hear the noise from the football games at Lavergne High School now and then.  I also hear the band practicing every day.  Guess what?  I accept that that is part of living close to a high school.

I can see residents that bought a condo before they decided to build an outdoor music venue right across the street I can understand the complaints, maybe they wouldn't have bought it if the had known they would have rock concerts blasting them until 11.  Once or twice a month shouldn't  be a big deal but if it's happening more than once a week I could see it being a real issue for people that have to be up really early in the morning. If you moved down there after it was built well then tough

Just watching WKRN and they interviewed a guy who was pretty reasonable who lives in Market Street Apartments.  He said, "yeah...during soundcheck and during the concert, my windows rattle and you can actually feel the music by touching your walls."  He wasn't against the music...was just answering a question from the reporter.

If it's loud enough to shake your windows for an entire concert, that would probably get a little disconcerting.

Lets say that the concert season is six months long, May - Oct, 30 Events per year would only be five per month.  I'd say that's not too bad.

It doesn't surprise me that a 100+ year old re-purposed warehouse has some oddities when introducing 21st century sound equipment that blasts rock and roll less than a block away.  Atleast they're only rentals. 

Archived