The "We Need A New Outdoor Venue" Thread

grilled_cheese

**  UPDATE  **

There was a HUGE difference with the noise level at tonight's concert !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The patio at Pinewood Social was full of people (which was empty during past concerts) and the noise from the concert was at a level that was not distracting. Later, taking a quick walk up to Rolling Mill Hill (overlook), the noise level was very acceptable.

The difference from before is almost unbelievable. I would love to know what difference in decimal levels are from before and now. Hope they stick to this level

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**  UPDATE  **

There was a HUGE difference with the noise level at tonight's concert !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The patio at Pinewood Social was full of people (which was empty during past concerts) and the noise from the concert was at a level that was not distracting. Later, taking a quick walk up to Rolling Mill Hill (overlook), the noise level was very acceptable.

The difference from before is almost unbelievable. I would love to know what difference in decimal levels are from before and now. Hope they stick to this level

Could it have just been the act that was performing...the wind...and the weather?

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Btw...by "bad acts"...I was referring more to bad acts for that venue and size venue...not that the acts had bad music.

I think this is all it is.  Many of the acts that were on the schedule would probably be more likely to be found in one of Chicago's many 1-2K capacity concert halls if playing a show here. 

Selling 68% capacity for a full slate of shows packed into just a 3 month window is considered a success for any outdoor facility.  As someone mentioned earlier, some of these acts were not the type to draw 6,800 (sellout) size crowds…for instance, Peter Frampton/Cheap Trick are Ryman-worthy in their attraction (2,200).  Live Nation was just trying to fill up as many shows as they could knowing they only had 3 months to generate a full season's worth of scheduling.  With a much more flexible 7 months of calendar to work with next year, I'm sure there will be fewer shows booked on weeknights with 2-3,000 potential draw.  But there isn't necessarily anything wrong with having some acts not be sellout potential.  It's more about revenue generation and keeping the facility active on some bookings.  Just ask Bridgestone/Predators' management…once of the reasons the arena has become so successful is that they are always looking at keeping the building "lit" by booking any array of shows…some of which are only worthy of about 5,000 attendance. But by scaling the house configuration, they can still feel pretty good in their ambience.  They might generate only 1/3 what the big acts can, but they help keep the overhead from ballooning from too many "dark" nights.  

I was at Ascend for a couple shows last summer, and I found the traffic flow and parking to be quite easy.  Parking on the other side of the river and walking over the pedestrian bridge was inexpensive and entry/egress was a breeze.  And the facility, performances, and backdrop were A+. 

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Selling 68% capacity for a full slate of shows packed into just a 3 month window is considered a success for any outdoor facility.  As someone mentioned earlier, some of these acts were not the type to draw 6,800 (sellout) size crowds…for instance, Peter Frampton/Cheap Trick are Ryman-worthy in their attraction (2,200).  Live Nation was just trying to fill up as many shows as they could knowing they only had 3 months to generate a full season's worth of scheduling.  With a much more flexible 7 months of calendar to work with next year, I'm sure there will be fewer shows booked on weeknights with 2-3,000 potential draw.  But there isn't necessarily anything wrong with having some acts not be sellout potential.  It's more about revenue generation and keeping the facility active on some bookings.  Just ask Bridgestone/Predators' management…once of the reasons the arena has become so successful is that they are always looking at keeping the building "lit" by booking any array of shows…some of which are only worthy of about 5,000 attendance. But by scaling the house configuration, they can still feel pretty good in their ambience.  They might generate only 1/3 what the big acts can, but they help keep the overhead from ballooning from too many "dark" nights.  

I was at Ascend for a couple shows last summer, and I found the traffic flow and parking to be quite easy.  Parking on the other side of the river and walking over the pedestrian bridge was inexpensive and entry/egress was a breeze.  And the facility, performances, and backdrop were A+. 

Good to know.  Thanks for that info.

On December 4, 2015 at 10:42:11 PM, MLBrumby said:

Or overpriced their shows... which brings up the question how did the tix compare to other big shows? 

I thought they were comparably priced. Just much easier to get. I'm not sure if Live Nation has somehow beat the scalper bot that plagues Ticket Master or what, but it was much less frustrating. Example;

Ascend/LN- I bought My Morning Jacket Tickets the moment they went on sale. No big fuss, and I got 3rd row, dead center tix for about $70 each. 

Bridgestone/TM- I attempted to get Tool/Primus tix the moment they went on sale. 2 seconds after the sale had begun, it was "sold out" of all seats. They would have been about the same $70.

I just don't get it. First off, it's tool/Primus. Not exactly the Stones, or T. Swift.  Also, it's a venue 3 times the size. How does this happen?! I'm so sick and tired of Ticket Master.  

I will ill say that concessions at Ascend are ludicrous. $14 for a beer?! No thank you. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

Absolutely disgusting, this makes me sick.  What number do I call to complain to tell them to turn it up?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2016/01/13/metro-parks-live-nation-limit-noise-level-ascend/78754910/

Agree that they should have waited to see if the spreading out of the concerts over a full year - rather than a few months - would have alleviated the concerns of some before resorting to the cap.

It's all part of figuring out how to "live together."  There are certain "givens" when it comes to living in a downtown urban environment...but having some rules for residents regarding open-air concert sound levels seems appropriate, as long as it doesn't kill the concert experience for fans.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Per Ascend's site, they already have 23 booked concerts.  April - September.  And last year they went into October.  I am excited for the first show to see if there are any improvements or changes.

We already have tickets to Ray Lamontagne, Alabama Shakes, Neil Young, and Jimmy Buffett.

Archived