The Westin Music City - 27 Floors/320', 452 Rooms

Paramount747

24 minutes ago, bhibbs said:

I will always have to agree to disagree on this topic. Its fun, vibrant, and has one hell of an impact as you're driving up on it.
It may not be everyone taste in "art", but, thats the fun part about art...not everyone has to like it.

Agree, bhibbs.    I like the way it turned out.    And I'm fine with people who don't.    

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

The more I see Straws, er, Stix, the more I realize there should be a world-class fountain and majestic statue in that location. That thing really is ridiculous.

I'm ok with Stix, but I agree with you. I would rather have Musica and the proposed fountains at this roundabout and Stix at the Music Row roundabout. I wonder how often Stix will have to be painted? It seems like the paint would fade easily. I hope at least it has some dramatic lighting. 

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Oh I feel your pain.:tw_grimace: It is not near what I thought it would be and just think we can sneak in with a chain saw and start over.

Or a tornado will come along and turn them into giant projectiles:tw_grimace:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

Where do people come up with these names? There must be months of brainstorming to come up with something so unique.

All I can think of with these names is a Mitch Hedberg joke about the Kitchen Appliance Naming Institute. "I wan to get a job as someone who names kitchen appliances. Toster, refrigerator, blender...all you do is say what the $hit does, and add "er". Hey what does that do? It keeps $hit fresh. Well, that's a fresher....I'm going on break"

What to name a building located at 1212 Laurel St.?How about 1212? GENIUS!!!!

God I loved that man. I read that in his voice, and it was still just as funny as the first hundred times I heard it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TNinVB said:

I have a feeling it's claim to highest bar will be short lived once the JW is built. I would like to take a swim in the pool of death though. I hope they use glass that is a few feet thick!:grinning:

I'm thinking a giant slide from the Pool of Death down to a splash pool on the JWM lot somewhere would be a nice attraction for the city.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Oh I feel your pain.:tw_grimace: It is not near what I thought it would be and just think we can sneak in with a chain saw and start over.

You know, if we rent a couple of bucket trucks with some equipment and go in one day and start removing them acting like we're just contractors who are supposed to be doing it, I bet we could get away with it. Probably could get a local MPD officer to do traffic control, too. :D

• Like 1

Just now, shanky said:

I find the comments about stix amusing and am reminded of something that some famous artist once said:  "Art doesn't always come to you; sometimes you have to go to art."

That's a good quote.  I must admit that I am not convinced that I really like it either, though I have yet to see it in person.  That being said though, art, and modern art in particular, can be very polarizing, and isn't intended to be all things to all people.  There are a lot of modern art pieces in this country that seem 'bizarre' on their face, but have grown to become landmarks, such as the giant badminton shuttlecock in Kansas City, or the Free Stamp in Cleveland.  So I feel that with time, Stix will begin to carve out a place in the hearts of more and more Nashvillians as it becomes a fixture and a point of familiarity for them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

There are a lot of modern art pieces in this country that seem 'bizarre' on their face, but have grown to become landmarks, such as the giant badminton shuttlecock in Kansas City, or the Free Stamp in Cleveland. 

The Bean in Chicago is my favorite example

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really confused by the windows. I know the white/silver mullions are being added for the argyle affect but for the life of me I don't get all the different tints of glass going on. And is the concrete in the middle going to be visible? I hope it turns out like the rendering. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2