Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

I "don't hate it" either, it's at least breaking the blue glass and 'stucco' look of the Tryon to Church block... Someone opined back when Honeywell was being developed that s/he liked the extension/integration of the brick aesthetic of South End into downtown, and this consolidates that... With the continued redevelopment of Mint immediately below the Belk overpass, this might actually be a link between two zones, a sort of obverse to the Queensbridge Collective, performing the same function but in the opposite direction. 

The podium parking doesn't bother me so much, either. When walking from Tryon you'll not really be focused to your left, and with the stadium remaining ahead, and hopefully a really cool rehabbing of the old Duke Center to the right, there will be plenty of mitigating factors. Church below Brooklyn Village Way is a lost cause anyhow.  If Lincoln Harris commits to retail on the ground floor for most of the block, that's what you'll mainly see when at street level anyway. 

I say, a win. 

• Like 2

Glad they are adding a residential component. I'll reserve judgement until we see more about the street level. I can't tell if they are planning for more driveways to intersect Brooklyn Village Ave for parking garage access. The amenity deck is nice for residents to get private park access away from the general public, but the street frontage will determine what this adds to the broader community. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Did have a chance to talk to someone on the project, and this is not the final design, I think the scale remains the same, but supposed the design will be "more exciting than this." So we shall see. As much of a critic as I've been of this site, it's design, and it's somewhat negative contribution to the public realm, I have to give Lincoln Harris credit, they are a hell of developer.

I'm guessing not, but any hints as to when we will learn about this "more exciting" design or when they will break ground? 

Before anyone says it I know I am essentially asking the same thing twice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Missed opportunity for the ACC HQ not to put the school flags on the poles this week since the Westin uptown hosted ACC media week. But then again, it’s still fenced off. Either waiting for the turf to grow or fenced bc it’s still a construction zone. One of those are in blue font lol.
]

It'll be swapped out in the next two weeks to ACC flags, the area is fenced off because of construction. Once its topped out I would expect it to open. I'm trying to work with them to organize a big picnic to celebrate it's opening!

• Like 3