Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

On 12/17/2023 at 5:52 PM, go_vertical said:

I'm glad you grabbed that first picture because I've been wondering what was up with those five windows.  Does anyone know what happened here?  Thos clearly aren't the original panes of glass and this building is too new to have mismatched windows.

It's likely that those panes of curtain wall glazing arrived broken. They installed temporary panels until replacements are ordered and arrive. This is common. Nothing to worry about. Happens on nearly every project.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Johno Harris the top exec with Lincoln (they just rebranded) speaking to Biz Journal about new 600 South Tryon tower.  I did not know of these amenities and they seem to have some prospects.  The flight to quality new office space continues. 

""Legacy Union 6Hundred, a 24-story, 415,000-square-foot tower is under construction and expected to deliver later this year.

"We’re topped off and going to complete it by the end of Q3," Johno Harris said. "What’s really interesting, in the positive, is we’re still seeing a significant amount of activity around leasing. We’ve got a lot more tours, talking to a lot more (potential tenants), and we hope to have some announcements in the not-too-distant future."

Johno Harris said the project includes an amenity floor "like no other" that will have an indoor/outdoor pickleball court, as well as studio space for webcasting or podcasting. Charlotte Business Journal reported in May 2022 that one of the city's largest law firms, Robinson Bradshaw, signed a 15-year lease for 102,000 square feet on the building's top four floors. The building is 25% pre-leased, Ingle said.""

Lincoln Harris, Lincoln Property Co. roll out full company rebrand - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Legacy Union - Lincoln Property Company (lpc.com)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rumphy said:

OT, I know….Speaking of amenity floors, One South (BofA Plaza) has/is renovating the 3rd floor with a terrace over Eddie V’s. The Athletic Club will be refreshed with…wait for it…pickleball! Overall, it looks nice, but do you really need to leave your office suite and venture down to what is essentially a co-working space + a bar.

Link: https://onesouthclt.com/amenities/

IMG_1510.webp

This shot right here is really quite a lovely urban shot for Charlotte.  Nice buildings, lovely green space, hard-scaped plaza.

• Like 3

That’s the floor I work on. Someone shot a bullet from the street into a few windows. Thankfully it was the weekend and no one was here. It’s been months so idk why it hasn’t been replaced yet. They’re using the same windows in all the buildings in LU but I assume it’s an insurance hangup. 

17 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Can someone explain what’s going on here, in the circled areas? 

IMG_8013.jpeg

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 4

35 minutes ago, BJKM said:

That’s the floor I work on. Someone shot a bullet from the street into a few windows. Thankfully it was the weekend and no one was here. It’s been months so idk why it hasn’t been replaced yet. They’re using the same windows in all the buildings in LU but I assume it’s an insurance hangup. 

SMH

• Like 1

The linked article below, which primarily focuses on recent rezoning requests for signage at Uptown buildings, includes comments from Johno Harris about the plans for Legacy Union's fifth parcel.  He says that the project will be mixed-use with some sort of residential component, as well as perhaps office or hotel.  He goes on to state that the timeline will depend on the financing environment, and that environment is "just not there" yet.  About the fifth parcel components, he further states that the "leasing is there, but the capital markets isn't."

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/01/17/wells-fargo-legacy-union-signs-uptown-buildings.html

I don’t understand why no one spoke out against the proposed Signage for the old Duke Energy Building.  Wishing I had signed up…

I think Charlotte should have an Iconic Buildings Ordinance preventing signage atop of these three (3) iconic Buildings: Bank of America Corporate Center, Truist Tower and Duke (Suitcase) Tower.  It’s like adding signage to the old World Trade Center or the Empire State Building.  This sucks.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Lincoln Property Group is the reason Uptown is on life support. They could have built a robust mixed-use urban community that didn't cannibalize tentants, they could have built residential, and retail and hotel, instead they built 3M sq feet of office that just made multiple large buildings defunct. 

I have to take issue with this take.  Don't stake Uptown's misfortunes on a single development that happens to be the home of Charlotte's latest Fortune 500 Global HQ.  Could it have been better designed, sure, most things in Charlotte could have been better designed.  Will restaurants & retail at ground follow once the development is no longer a perennial dirt & construction zone?  Perhaps.  Are county & city inaction on Uptown and misplaced bets in flawed public-private partnerships also potentially to blame for the center city malaise:  Yes.  Could the city be more aggressive in combating the growing perception that Uptown is dangerous and really only a gathering spot for urbanist pioneers/adventure-seekers instead of the population at large (excepting special events w/prearranged parking), and might such combat actions do more to grow Uptown's appeal than some design enhancements by Lincoln Harris?  Absolutely.   

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1