Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

7 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I toured the renovated fire station, The Station, next to the old Walmart Grocery on Saturday.  Excellent renovation and should be a great little space for small offices or shops.  Will complement the new retail going in next door nicely.

Is it going to multipurpose?  I thought it was going to be a coffee shop?

Roxy Theater sold for $1.3 milli

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/09/20/east-nashvilles-historic-roxy-theater-sold-13-million/90731282/

It should turn into a Belcourt East type of place and not a restaurant.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Roxy Theater sold for $1.3 milli

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/09/20/east-nashvilles-historic-roxy-theater-sold-13-million/90731282/

It should turn into a Belcourt East type of place and not a restaurant.

I like that idea, but I fear the neighborhood is not ready for such a thing. As it is, the area is only just barely ready to support restaurants or bars that are anywhere except on the main thoroughfare of nearby Dickerson pike. I imagine that once the Ray of Hope property is redeveloped, that this site will be much more likely to see some action, but I'm afraid we're going to see it sit vacant for a while longer until the time is right.

(For context, I live less than a mile up Meridian Street, so I spend a lot of time around here.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

^

I agree, that neighborhood saw the laundromat/bar/cafe end pretty quickly.  I hope it works out either by them waiting until the concept works or opening now and furthering development.

That place is in the process of reopening under the same name (Madeline's), but different ownership. Any day now. 

http://theeastnashvillian.com/blog/ENblogs/east-nashville-news-transit-triathlon-pop-up-theater-free-five-points-pizza-the-return-of-madeline-and-more

• Like 1

All of these buildings are technically in McFerrin Park. Although, people generally refer to McFerrin Park, Cleveland Park and Highland Heights as "Cleveland Park", because that's the name the media has latched onto. Yes, this is a hot part of town. In fact, it saw the most property value gains in all of Davidson County in the last assessment (as a result, our taxes will skyrocket). It's a really nice area, but VERY different from the 5 Points area of East. Almost strictly residential, sandwiched between Ellington and Dickerson. It's a nice collection of neighborhoods with advantages and hinderances. Advantages being proximity and (formerly) price. Hinderances are the lack of a central commercial hub (like 5 points) the complete lack of investment on Dickerson Rd, the isolation provided by Ellington/24/65, and a do-nothing councilman.  McFerrin Park has some glorious old homes, and a huge swath of Section 8. Cleveland Park proper, has a large stock of historic homes, all pretty well protected by a strong homeowners group. Highland Heights, due to some funny technicalities with old city lot lines (and a council determined to ensure profit) is faced with wholesale demolition of the housing stock, replaced by "tall skinny's", which are nice, but create quite a contrast between brand new skinnies and post-war suburban style homes. 

These particular developments (Roxy, Jack Ward) are on a small stretch of street which has more potential than anything I've seen. More historical, but even more run down than 12th south was years back. If developed properly, they could become the commercial hub the area needs. It could be a "little 5 points". 

Anyways, MLBrumby, I hope gives you a little insight into the area. It's a charming area, which just needs some commercial investment (which these developments may provide), some good leadership, and time. Things are happening. New brewery on Trinity, Lischey Corners development in the works. Hopefully BRT on Dickersonin the near future. It's rough around the edges, but it's a place you can own a home with a decent sized yard, uber to downtown for $5, but not pay the $600-700k it takes to live on the other side of Gallatin. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Hunter's Automotive site at 5 Points changes hands again.  This time it's Fresh Hospitality buying it for $4.2 million.  Full story behind the NBJ paywall.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/09/23/nashville-restaurant-giant-paying-4-2m-for-five.html

I thought they were the original purchaser earlier this year.

15 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

--snip--

Hinderances are the lack of a central commercial hub (like 5 points) the complete lack of investment on Dickerson Rd, the isolation provided by Ellington/24/65, and a do-nothing councilman.

--snip--

Anyways, MLBrumby, I hope gives you a little insight into the area. It's a charming area, which just needs some commercial investment (which these developments may provide), some good leadership, and time. Things are happening. New brewery on Trinity, Lischey Corners development in the works. Hopefully BRT on Dickersonin the near future. It's rough around the edges, but it's a place you can own a home with a decent sized yard, uber to downtown for $5, but not pay the $600-700k it takes to live on the other side of Gallatin. 

I'm really astounded by the prices of some homes going up just over on the other side of Dickerson Pike... Granted, the views from what is known as "Katie Hill" are pretty stellar, but I had no idea they would allow a developer to charge a half a million bucks for one side of a duplex.

enZ51G.jpg

FeDo75.jpg

I hope that the new residents will help drive some improvements to the Dickerson corridor as a result. These lots are surrounded by what are basically slums.

• Like 2

As I mentioned in the Eakin/Hensler/Trolley Barns site thread a few days ago, I had an hour meeting with Joe Cain, the Director of MDHA on Monday, Sept. 19th.  About 25 minutes of the conversation was about the Envision Cayce project and insights he has about public housing concepts in Nashville for the future.

1)   The Envision Cayce project is a massive undertaking. Not only incorporating the existing apartments taking up the 12 square blocks (approx.) of the current Cayce Homes, but also adding in approximately 9 more square blocks.

2)   The addition on the east side is running up through Kirkpatrick Park with 9th Street as the border, up to the alley that runs east/west between Sylvan and Shelby Avenue.

3)   And the addition on the west side, starts at 6th  Street, running westward along Shelby Avenue to 4th Street, then south all the way through what is currently Davidson County Sheriff’s Office and Davidson County Public Works HQ.

4)   As of now, as many of you are aware, the new Summer Place Apartments along 5th Avenue South have topped-out at 4 stories w/ 72 units.  This is the first step in the whole plan, and should be open the by early next year.

5)   The next stage is being prepped right now, and will be approximately 5 apartment buildings of 2 stories and around 20 apartments each that will be blended in with the other new housing on the NW corner of Sylvan and 9th Street.

6)   Joe thinks that the entire complex will be rolled out in about 12-15 segments over the next 15-20 years. This is due to the challenges of creating new spaces for the existing 3,000+ residents without displacing them in the process.

7)   All in all, the new Envision Cayce will have around 2,400 apartment units for upwards of 7,500 no-income, low-income, and medium income residents.

8)   The 5th Street Corridor will serve as the primary areas for retail, restaurants, and offices.  The hope is for a full-service grocery store as well.

9)   There will be some scattered office space and small retail in some of the apartment structures in other areas of the complex as well.

10)  There will be a new 3 block-long park running west to east through the center of the complex and tying-in with the existing Kirkpatrick Park. This will serve as the primary area for public gathering and recreation.

11)   The cost per unit is approximately $150,000 when you factor in land value, construction, parking spaces per tenant, etc.  That works out to $360 million that would be paid incrementally with each rollout phase.  Of course rents, which will be from about $700 on the low end, $1000 on the high end, will create about $25 million per year, and will be cover the bulk of the costs and upkeep over time.

12)   Much of the funding is in place, but some of the federal support is unclear in how/when it will be distributed at this time, and could alter depending on the upcoming election.

13)    There are key national government agencies looking at how this progresses.  If it is as effective as is hoped, then there will be more funding forthcoming to begin similar projects for other existing low income housing areas.  Probably the next one to be undertaken would be Napier Place just on the other side of the innerbelt along Lafayette Avenue on the SE side of downtown.

• Like 3

From today's Nashville Post:

Local developers March Egerton and Dan Heller have landed a permit related to their mixed-use building under construction on Woodland Street in East Nashville. The permit, valued at $4.87 million, will allow for construction of the shell of what will be called The Wabash. Nashville-based Hardaway Construction is handling the work.

Targeted for a spring 2017 completion, The Wabash will be located at 901 Woodland St. It will span about 41,200 square feet and rise four stories from an adjacent alley and three stories from Woodland.

Wabash render, East Nashville.jpg

Here is the site as of yesterday, looking south from the back deck of The Basement East:

Wabash,_East_Nashville,_Wept.JPG

• Like 4

Cloud IX Hookah Bar and Lounge is 'coming soon' to the Inglewood neighborhood.  Not sure about this one and I can't find much online but it does have a physical sign hanging out front and there appears to be murals painted on the side of the building.  It's located North of the Post Office and just a cross the street from the BoA.

8 minutes ago, markhollin said:

From today's Nashville Post:

Local developers March Egerton and Dan Heller have landed a permit related to their mixed-use building under construction on Woodland Street in East Nashville. The permit, valued at $4.87 million, will allow for construction of the shell of what will be called The Wabash. Nashville-based Hardaway Construction is handling the work.

Targeted for a spring 2017 completion, The Wabash will be located at 901 Woodland St. It will span about 41,200 square feet and rise four stories from an adjacent alley and three stories from Woodland.

Here is the site as of yesterday, looking south from the back deck of The Basement East:

If it activates the street well with plenty retail this would be awesome