Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

That big, empty building that used to house Electronics Express on West End next door to McDonald's is about to become a Newk's Eatery  (and thankfully not another mattress store).

For some reason I didn't realize it was the big chain that it is. Looks like they have several of them scattered all over the Southeastern US.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2014/06/17/nashville-getting-newks-restaurant/10707883/

Edited by Jamie Hall

Stronger words on the judge. Not to get it too off topic, but while politics may always be at play when it comes to "public" letters such as these, Anderson is absolutely right here. And I don't blame him. As the police chief, he is tasked with reducing crime, especially that of a violent nature. When judges ignore the cooling off period to such a degree as this, they put victims at risk...and in this case, another violent crime occurred. And while I don't think many are blaming the police for this situation, from a statistical perspective, this will be listed as another aggravated assault on the books...so I can completely understand the frustration when the police feel that they can't do their job (reduce violent crime) when the courts act in such a manner.

Reeling this back into the development realm, there hasn't been any word (that we know of) from Branson/Virgin's camp (not surprising as of yet), but I wonder what, if any, impact this will have on the branding, since this well-publicized incident is associated with the Virgin name (by no fault of their own). All we have are some vague words from Mark Bloom about how (paraphrasing) "sometimes big projects like this never materialize" (which I suspect is more wishful thinking on his part as he pursues his own high end hotel).

• Like 1

That big, empty building that used to house Electronics Express on West End next door to McDonald's is about to become a Newk's Eatery (and thankfully not another mattress store).

For some reason I didn't realize it was the big chain that it is. Looks like they have several of them scattered all over the Southeastern US.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2014/06/17/nashville-getting-newks-restaurant/10707883/

Newk's is great. I go to the one at the Avenue a lot. These Mississippi based chains (Newks, McAllister's, Soulshine) have really taken off. Edited by satalac

Hooray!  Let's hope that this developer is able to work out the engineering to construct the new building around Studio A.  That would be the best of both worlds:  to get a nice new building and to preserve Studio A.

• Like 1

The land for the 1515 Demonbreun apartment tower project is triangle shaped, and the drawings of the building look like a very long thin rectangle.  How will this fit on the lot exactly?  Also are they digging down below grade or starting the construction on the surface?

From what I can tell, the building will be triangle shaped as well. The 2D renderings don't give a great perspective of that, but the building will be built up to both Demonbreun and Division.

As far as I know, there wasn't much if any digging with this project.

• Like 1

That could be nice if the right materials are used. Unfortunately, using a bar napkin for your rendering isn't a good first step.

Agree the materials will make it.  There's real potential to look like a cheap imitation of a French Quarter building (which used actual iron in their ironwork).   I'm skeptical that current Church St. zoning will allow the columns out at the edge of the sidewalk.     Still, it would be an improvement over the existing structure with its giant plaster bottles.

• Like 1

I was recently in Asheville and enjoyed taprooms that are small and with minimal TV/music elements. The French Landing interior vibe could be a bit too much. As to the the exterior design, I don't like the sound of it — at all. But I wish them well and hope the beer is tasty.

WW

You would like Craft Brewed on 8th in Melrose if you haven't stopped in.   One of many fine growler filling spots.     No tv's, no bands, just a wall of taps, good tunes and darts.