Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

On 2/15/2016 at 9:49 PM, titanhog said:

I wish the owner would have sold that building.  Looks WAY more dumpy now with those new buildings surrounding it.  And...I can't imagine that being a Trump campaign HQ...but who knows?

I imagine it gets picked up by FCA after the elections for 1505 Demonbreun; that building looks designed to take up that parcel with more apartments, or at least a dog run or something.

Or maybe it becomes Trump Tower Nashville? We can dream.

From an article in Nashville Scene in 2003:

At that time, the donor had wanted the sculpture to include a fountain. LeQuire’s original design included jets of water that would shoot over cars from the outside of the roundabout onto the sculpture. “The concept was that the spring is the source of creative inspiration,” LeQuire says. “It was a fantastic design, with the figures all emerging from this white, foamy water.” LeQuire says that Bredesen “had been willing to help with the waterworks—it was a $350,000 to $500,000 contribution and Bredesen said it was in the road budget anyway.” Four days before Bredesen left office, the gift of the sculpture was announced.

Enter Bill Purcell, Bredesen’s successor.

Purcell officials told LeQuire and his wife, Andrée, that they had concerns over the money involved. So the two set out to raise the money themselves, which they did. But the mayor was still nonplussed. The reason, LeQuire explains, is that Purcell wanted a maintenance fund to take care of the fountain in the future. “He told us $1 million in a fund was needed.”

At that point, LeQuire says he had only “a tiny window to raise the million dollars because roadwork was starting.” As time ran short, he and his wife “went back a final time and asked if we could put the water pipes across the street before the roadwork took place so that we could always raise the money later. He said no.” LeQuire was so dejected he tried to find another piece of property on which to place the sculpture, but ultimately abandoned the effort.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FrankNash said:

Per The Tennessean. Corner Pub in Midtown to close in May. I hope Vanderbilt will build a residential hall with retail the full distance of Broadway. It would also be a great location for a hotel with views of the historic side of campus and downtown Nashville. 

I would be astonished.  I don't think Vanderbilt is interested in engaging the urban environment.

I assume the water is shooting over the cars in short bursts, not a continuous stream, but that's just a guess.  Anybody got inside insight or remember the details about the original proposal? 

My main concern is that the fountain boulders will look like miniature golf course rocks, but if they do it right this has potential to be pretty cool.  

Also note the piano key pattern etched/painted on the road.  

Is there no water over the cars at all? I always thought that was an odd and arguably dangerous choice, albeit cool and interesting, but I thought that was part of the plan?  Looking at the rendering now, I don't see it, which is probably for the best.  

Edited by ruraljuror
took another look at the rendering

38 minutes ago, ruraljuror said:

I assume the water is shooting over the cars in short bursts, not a continuous stream, but that's just a guess.  Anybody got inside insight or remember the details about the original proposal? 

My main concern is that the fountain boulders will look like miniature golf course rocks, but if they do it right this has potential to be pretty cool.  

Also note the piano key pattern etched/painted on the road.  

Is there no water over the cars at all? I always thought that was an odd and arguably dangerous choice, albeit cool and interesting, but I thought that was part of the plan?  Looking at the rendering now, I don't see it, which is probably for the best.  

The "piano keys" have been there since the beginning.  (on other words, they're there now).  The piano keys are just different colored bricks.

22 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Cool beans.  Wonder if it will be lit at night like Bellagio?    : )

This video is posted on YouTube as a proposal. The artwork I posted is from a Fountains of Musica website, but it is old artwork, I believe. It will be interesting to see what, exactly, is the actual design presented at the announcement tomorrow. Anxiously awaiting this one!

• Like 2