Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

21 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

The last thing Hillsboro Village needs is more parking, especially surface lots. Granted I only get down there a half dozen times a year, but when I do, I don't have any trouble parking. Then again I don't mind walking a couple blocks.

Walking a couple blocks is something Nashvillians aren't used to, but I think that will change as Nashville infills; people will be able to walk to places where they would have had to drive in the past. Either they moved to somewhere near the city core, or they already lived there, but now shopping and other things are a walk's distance.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

The last thing Hillsboro Village needs is more parking, especially surface lots. Granted I only get down there a half dozen times a year, but when I do, I don't have any trouble parking. Then again I don't mind walking a couple blocks.

I disagree. I go there a lot…attend events at Belcourt Theater 20 times a year, frequent Bongo Java, Pancake Pantry, etc. dozens of times per year.  Granted, since Bosco's, Sam's, and Sunset Grille have recently closed, things have been a bit slower, but those properties are going to reopen as other restaurants, and the new development being built on the Regions Bank lot at corner of Wedgewood and 21st will generate even more traffic. The reason I suggested the parking garage concept to the Belcourt Theater management was that they could make three times as much revenue from parking if they added several levels, and also rent generated if they opened a couple of storefront spaces that would help activate that frontage along Belcourt Avenue.

• Like 1

Looking at the One C1ty construction cam (28th/31st Connector camera) aimed at Vandy/West End, I notice what appears to be a new crane in the area just to the left (east) of Aertson.  Doing a quick glance at "triangulating" a map, it appears to be the site of M Residence (or somewhere along Music Row).  Can anyone verify.  It could be another crane that had been there already and was just raised.  Whatever the case, it's tall now. 

https://oxblue.com/open/Cambridge/onec1tynashville

From today's Nashville Post:

A Dallas-based developer currently undertaking a large-scale apartment building in Midtown is hoping to acquire properties located within the 1900 block of Church Street.

According to a source with information about the effort and who asked to go unnamed, Phoenix Property Group wants to buy the properties (see here courtesy of Google Maps) for a mixed-use building.

Phoenix is developing The Cadence, which is fully under construction and fronts McGavock Street and 16th and 17th avenues.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2016 at 0:25 PM, markhollin said:

More detail on Belcourt Theater's renovation.  Includes nice historical slideshow:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/2016/01/06/belcourt-theatre-revival-part-changing-nashville/77455028/

The article states that this is a donor funded $5 million renovation, and yet, to me, that looks like WAY more than $5 million worth of renovations in the rendering of the finished product.  What am I missing here?

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

The article states that this is a donor funded $5 million renovation, and yet, to me, that looks like WAY more than $5 million worth of renovations in the rendering of the finished product.  What am I missing here?

According to the projections, it will be $5 million in renovations.  Basically the lobby and restrooms are being expanded (the back end "balcony" of the 1966  theater being replaced with these new elements), larger offices on the second floor, and a 45-person mini-theater added on the upper level. Also reinforcements of walls, plumbing/electrical upgrades, etc.  The theaters themselves will be virtually the same (new seats were already installed several years ago).

2 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

I don't have any info on this, but I personally will be devestated if it is demolished. While I wouldn't classify The Mayfair as an architectural masterpiece, it's certainly a "period" piece that cannot be replaced. The recently demolished building next door (which is now a parking lot!) was a much greater loss, but this would be a tragedy all the same. The Rock Block is becoming too pretty for my taste. 

I'm with you and would hate to lose yet another midtown residential building.   Can't point to anything specific, but I have a bad feeling about this one.   Ambiguous purchaser, no announced plans, no interest in redevelopment.    Sounds like the business plan is to hold and flip to a developer. 

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

According to the projections, it will be $5 million in renovations.  Basically the lobby and restrooms are being expanded (the back end "balcony" of the 1966  theater being replaced with these new elements), larger offices on the second floor, and a 45-person mini-theater added on the upper level. Also reinforcements of walls, plumbing/electrical upgrades, etc.  The theaters themselves will be virtually the same (new seats were already installed several years ago).

Well, I'm saying this while not actually seeing the Belcourt Theater in person for several years, but to me the exterior in the rendering is much different than it did last I knew.  All the glass, and lighting, and the new sign...how will that be covered with $5 million? 

^ ^ ^  Don't know what to tell you…I'm a Belcourt Member, and have seen all the diagrams, budget, and renderings.  They say it will all be done for that price tag.  Perhaps they are getting some things donated or at a discount rate from folks who love the theater.  

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^  Don't know what to tell you…I'm a Belcourt Member, and have seen all the diagrams, budget, and renderings.  They say it will all be done for that price tag.  Perhaps they are getting some things donated or at a disc out rate from folks who love the theater.  

Hmm, interesting.  I suppose we shall see.  I appreciate the info.  I wasn't trying to grill you with questions or anything, but you are clearly more in the know about the project than this out-of-towner, so I figured you could help with my quandary, and you have.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Well, I'm saying this while not actually seeing the Belcourt Theater in person for several years, but to me the exterior in the rendering is much different than it did last I knew.  All the glass, and lighting, and the new sign...how will that be covered with $5 million? 

I can't speak to specific details, but the board or advisory group has a number of influential people that I'm pretty sure have donated money and/or their companies services.  I know a well known architect is on the board and many others, especially many that live in the Hillsboro Village/Belmont area.  It will be done right. 

• Like 3

The Metro Planning Department has unveiled the first draft of its proposed land-use policy for Music Row with a top goal of keeping the corridor as a place where music businesses can thrive:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/industries/music/2016/01/13/music-row-design-plan-unveiled/78731812/

Music Row design plan recommendations:

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/MusicRow/Draft%20Recommendations_36x20.pdf

As was discussed at the Meet-Up last Saturday morning, the 18-story Grace project for Elliston Place is in flux for now.  According to Nashville Post this morning, "Work on a large-scale mixed-use building eyed for Elliston Place is on hold, according to multiple sources. Almost one year ago to the day, Nashville-based Grace Development announced it would pursue an 18-story apartment building with ground-level spaces. (Read more here.) Now according to the sources, who asked to go unnamed, the building’s scale is being scaled-back. At least one tenant located in the building currently on site (and to be razed if the project materializes) has signed a lease extension."

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

As was discussed at the Meet-Up last Saturday morning, the 18-story Grace project for Elliston Place is in flux for now.  According to Nashville Post this morning, "Work on a large-scale mixed-use building eyed for Elliston Place is on hold, according to multiple sources. Almost one year ago to the day, Nashville-based Grace Development announced it would pursue an 18-story apartment building with ground-level spaces. (Read more here.) Now according to the sources, who asked to go unnamed, the building’s scale is being scaled-back. At least one tenant located in the building currently on site (and to be razed if the project materializes) has signed a lease extension."

This is disappointing.  This is (was?) a nice project and a great replacement for that strip mall which is inappropriate for the area.

15 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Very bland design, and didn't the Planning Commission demand some changes?  Hopefully, a little bit more decoration... however, the location of this one will be a bit hidden due to its location on a side street.

There isn't a zoning change request so the Planning Commission can't intervene at all. The BZA granted a setback exception but they don't really comment on design features.