Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Would love to be able to read this, but it's under the paywall.  You know Beaman's been offered some serious $$ for his 10 acres.  Seems like he could easily cut a deal with some developer to not only buy the land...but probably throw in a % of the new development and buy him 20 acres somewhere else to plant his dealership.  One of the most desirable pieces of developable land in the city...if not THE most desirable. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/02/lee-beaman-still-wont-budge-from-broadway-even-in.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Would love to be able to read this, but it's under the paywall.  You know Beaman's been offered some serious $$ for his 10 acres.  Seems like he could easily cut a deal with some developer to not only buy the land...but probably throw in a % of the new development and buy him 20 acres somewhere else to plant his dealership.  One of the most desirable pieces of developable land in the city...if not THE most desirable. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/02/lee-beaman-still-wont-budge-from-broadway-even-in.html

Obviously he has the right to do with his land what he wants, but at this point it just seems like he's just being stubborn and staying put just to spite people that want him to sell.  I mean I know he built his business on that spot and there is probably some sentimental attachment to it, but it would CLEARLY be in his best interest financially to take the massive payday and set up bigger and better operations elsewhere, not to mention better for the city as a whole, but he won't, because he's hard-headed.  Probably. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Obviously he has the right to do with his land what he wants, but at this point it just seems like he's just being stubborn and staying put just to spite people that want him to sell.  I mean I know he built his business on that spot and there is probably some sentimental attachment to it, but it would CLEARLY be in his best interest financially to take the massive payday and set up bigger and better operations elsewhere, not to mention better for the city as a whole, but he won't, because he's hard-headed.  Probably. 

It's either that or he has an outrageous price in his head...like $200 Mil or something.

• Like 1

I know Mr. Beaman is persona non grata here on UP, but I don't blame him. He mentions that he would "take a pencil to" (wouldn't reject outright) $15M/acre (He has 10 at the Broadway site and 6 on Hawkins).  Mentions also that the site had a lot of crime back in the 1970s (thousand dollars of damage for hundreds dollars of tires) and he wanted to go to the suburbs, but they stayed put back then because then (and moreso now) the location provides priceless advertising. 

From the article... 

"On the scale of the business we have, we need at least 16 acres, if not more. If we sold ... I worry that we'd have gone to a lot of trouble and probably not helped ourselves that much," Beaman said.

You also can't deny the impossible-to-miss advertising Beaman gains from his location.

As long as Nashville is a car-centric city, we will have large dealerships taking up swaths of valuable land. Beaman does not need the money. After all, he also as Beaman Bottling Company as well which takes up about 20 acres on Thompson Lane. For what ever reasons one does not like him, and I am in that category, The Beaman family is a Nashville institution and they are not going anywhere. He does donate a lot to charity and although I despise how he helped derailed the AMP, but there is not any place he could take something lat large without going way out in the suburbs.

Edited by Paramount747

With the purchase of Word Records today by Curb Records, Mike Curb said that the Word Building (formerly the Capitol Records HQ on 17th Avenue South) will be preserved. He now owns or has played a hand in preserving 12 Music Row buildings, including RCA Studio A last year. Curb said he was excited to purchase the building as part of the deal. He said it can be added to the growing list of important Music Row buildings that "won't be sold or torn down."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/industries/music/2016/03/02/curb-records-acquires-word-entertainment/81230554/

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 7.04.26 PM.png

• Like 2

The Forestar Project at 17th Ave S and Grand Ave is being put up for sale. Forestar is getting out of the apartment business. This lot it currently a hole in the ground....  I really hope they find a buyer soon because it will really be a scar for Music Row if it turns into another Lake Palmer.  Also of note, there was supposed to be 1750 sq feet of retail in the development based on negotiations with the neighborhood.  However, the final SP passed by Metro Council mistakenly left that language out (the amendment calling for it was never filed), so the SP that was passed technically does not require retail to be present. Forestar was going to honor the wishes of the neighborhood, but I would be concerned that whoever else buys that would not be so open to honoring those wishes. 

I believe it is time for Metro to pass an ordinance that would not allow a property owner to leave a site excavated longer than 6 or 12 months without having any work completed. These holes are hazards and there needs to be some enforcement mechanism to get them filled in.  Lexington, KY, is imminently going to fill in an excavated site in the middle of their downtown because of a development that lost its financing. We should do the same here.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/03/02/music-row-mixed-use-apartment-site-up-sale/81235466/

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

The Forestar Project at 17th Ave S and Grand Ave is being put up for sale. Forestar is getting out of the apartment business. This lot it currently a hole in the ground....  I really hope they find a buyer soon because it will really be a scar for Music Row if it turns into another Lake Palmer.  Also of note, there was supposed to be 1750 sq feet of retail in the development based on negotiations with the neighborhood.  However, the final SP passed by Metro Council mistakenly left that language out (the amendment calling for it was never filed), so the SP that was passed technically does not require retail to be present. Forestar was going to honor the wishes of the neighborhood, but I would be concerned that whoever else buys that would not be so open to honoring those wishes. 

I believe it is time for Metro to pass an ordinance that would not allow a property owner to leave a site excavated longer than 6 or 12 months without having any work completed. These holes are hazards and there needs to be some enforcement mechanism to get them filled in.  Lexington, KY, is imminently going to fill in an excavated site in the middle of their downtown because of a development that lost its financing. We should do the same here.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/03/02/music-row-mixed-use-apartment-site-up-sale/81235466/

Man...that stinks!  At least those little bungalows and the black glass box building looked better than a hole in the ground.

9 hours ago, titanhog said:
9 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

Also of note, there was supposed to be 1750 sq feet of retail in the development based on negotiations with the neighborhood. However, the final SP passed by Metro Council mistakenly left that language out (the amendment calling for it was never filed), so the SP that was passed technically does not require retail to be present. Forestar was going to honor the wishes of the neighborhood, but I would be concerned that whoever else buys that would not be so open to honoring those wishes. 

I believe it is time for Metro to pass an ordinance that would not allow a property owner to leave a site excavated longer than 6 or 12 months without having any work completed.

I believe any new owner would have to get a new SP, unless, maybe, they are building exactly what is approved.  And I agree, we should do something about careless developers who knock down our city and then leave gaping holes in the middle of our neighborhoods.

• Like 1

Some of us have known for sometime that the project at 18th & Chet Atkins was dead, but the NBJ has ran the official report.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/03/prominent-developer-drops-midtown-site-pursues.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2016-03-08&u=CCO9PnMSnO%2F34AcG1r0HfQ04c833a7&t=1457472753&j=71220702

They are going to build on the AT&T site in the North Gulch, so this is loosing two projects on Music Row now. Some of you were wondering when the flies would start to die and this is two in two weeks. From what I understand is they were unable to get financing.

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Some of us have known for sometime that the project at 18th & Chet Atkins was dead, but the NBJ has ran the official report.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/03/prominent-developer-drops-midtown-site-pursues.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2016-03-08&u=CCO9PnMSnO%2F34AcG1r0HfQ04c833a7&t=1457472753&j=71220702

They are going to build on the AT&T site in the North Gulch, so this is loosing two projects on Music Row now. Some of you were wondering when the flies would start to die and this is two in two weeks. From what I understand is they were unable to get financing.

Did they knock down any buildings and leave a mess?

To me, metro should give demolition permits with a caveat that you have to then build within X amount of time...or you have to turn the land into a passive park (grass, bushes, plants, small trees) until it's sold or the developer builds.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Did they knock down any buildings and leave a mess?

To me, metro should give demolition permits with a caveat that you have to then build within X amount of time...or you have to turn the land into a passive park (grass, bushes, plants, small trees) until it's sold or the developer builds.  

No buildings brought down, and sad because these buildings suck and are non historic.

• Like 1

Someone laughed at my post a year and half ago about a property owner suing metro because they wouldn't allow a basic rezoning. That woman has lost hundreds of thousands at this point because she couldn't sell because the music row moratorium.  Think she has a case now?

Edited by samsonh

8 hours ago, samsonh said:

Someone laughed at my post a year and half ago about a property owner suing metro because they wouldn't allow a basic rezoning. That woman has lost hundreds of thousands at this point because she couldn't sell because the music row moratorium.  Think she has a case now?

No, because there never was a legally enforceable "moratorium". It should probably be referred to as a "pause". As proof, a project with widespread support passed Metro Planning and Metro Council proving that the pause was not absolute.  Metro Planning has to hear every rezoning case if the owner brings it forth, but there is nothing in local, state, or federal law that states a landowner has the right to have their property rezoned.