BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

• 1 month later...

It would seem so, as the floor is being leveled now. Looks like there's still a lot of rock to clear out, but looks like the hard part is done. Is the fill being used at the airport? 

Something else I've wondered about. In the 3rd and 4th pics, there is a section that has not been excavated, and results in a portion of rock that juts into the hole. I've noticed on several tower construction sites, that this happens. But I can't imagine why they leave that little bit. Are there utilities under there? Or is that an access point (a pad) for construction equipment to sit on? Why?

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It appears all excavation is complete, with the exception of a few minor needs. Just need to carry the rock away 

The little cutout, next to West End, could be the utilities vault. Just a guess. Or underground garage access. Too many possibilities

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NashRugger said:

Long story short: Nashville itself, sits in the northwest corner of the Nashville Basin (or Central Basin) that is a geologic dome of rock that is more easily eroded than the surrounding bedrock, thus the Highland Rim.

Now if we could just get down to the igneous plume that caused the dome to uplift, that is where they keep the diamonds.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Do lots of cities have to deal with this much rock when excavating sites? It has to be costly since they can't just dig. Every time I see these pics I am just amazed as it appears Nashville is just one big rock.

The plus side is that you have a firm foundation for tall buildings, as long as there isn't a cave underneath.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the benefit is that skyscrapers in Nashville (as well as Manhattan) don't have to pour really deep caissons like they would in most places since the bedrock is so close to the surface. There may be some added cost of excavation, but there is also some cost savings related to the lack of deep caissons. 

• Like 3

Would that be peak number of cranes in the modern era. I know MCC had a lot going on, but it was pretty much the main thing going for a while. Now, there's already 5+B (4), Joseph (1), Eakin (2), Gulch Union (1), Endeavor (1), GHyatt (1), Kennect (1), Virgin (1), Vandy (2), Graduate (1), what else?   If the four go up in the next couple of months, there would be 19+ tower cranes in downtown/midtown, not including the booms for LC Sobro, TN Library,  and others like Stockyards. Anyone have any update on Stockyards? 

• Like 1