Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

1 hour ago, Child2021 said:

image.png.253ee7b6b50bf3f8365ebcc3e9a8d77e.png

Old County transportation plan.

Hmmm... interesting. This kind of reminds me of the kind of "double beltway" particularly north of Raleigh - where I-40 and I-440 form the "inner" beltway and I-540, ranging from approximately 4.5 to about 8.5 miles farther out is the "outer" semi-loop. This design here (in Chesterfield) looks like it would function in much the same way if it was ever built. And it's interesting that it would connect directly to the Powhite extension at Hull Street. 

Wow... 

59 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

I didn't realize that. It's in the county's May 2019 comprehensive plan, albeit referred to in rather abstract terms.

I've seen a document that basically said the expressway is off the table, I'll have to go back and try to dig it up.

Just a normal boulevard in that corridor would easily work, without the added $$$ for a full on expressway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

This kind of reminds me of the kind of "double beltway" particularly north of Raleigh - where I-40 and I-440 form the "inner" beltway and I-540, ranging from approximately 4.5 to about 8.5 miles farther out is the "outer" semi-loop.

Perhaps I can see that. I always envisioned it more like the SR equivalent of a three-digit-interstate spur route (i.e., on odd-numbered one).

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Hmmm... interesting. This kind of reminds me of the kind of "double beltway" particularly north of Raleigh - where I-40 and I-440 form the "inner" beltway and I-540, ranging from approximately 4.5 to about 8.5 miles farther out is the "outer" semi-loop. This design here (in Chesterfield) looks like it would function in much the same way if it was ever built. And it's interesting that it would connect directly to the Powhite extension at Hull Street. 

Wow... 

We already have a double beltway so to speak in that part of the metro lol (VA 150, VA 288). If that new expressway was built, it would be a triple. Houston, anyone?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, plain said:

We already have a double beltway so to speak in that part of the metro lol (VA 150, VA 288). If that new expressway was built, it would be a triple. Houston, anyone?

We do indeed! And yeah - wow - a triple beltway, a la Houston. I looked online - and on the west side of Houston into the western burbs - it's a QUADRUPLE semi-loop of highways. I don't know the history but I would suspect that the first beltway got built, the city expanded beyond the beltway, the next one got built farther out but the city expanded again... wash, rinse, repeat.

Either way - it would certainly be interesting having another "outer" loop in the Chesterfield suburbs.

• Like 2

Reston-based developer WestDulles Properties is planning to construct a pair of warehouses totaling 2.4 million sq ft of space near Chester on the site of what was originally to be a massive paper products manufacturing facility, according to Jack Jacobs' reporting in today's RBS. The developers have filed a POD with Chesterfield  County for the project that would include offices and warehouse space. The site is  currently zoned for heavy industry and was to be the location of the $2 billion Shandong Tranlin Paper Co. production facility proposed ten years ago. That plant was originally planned to be operational by 2020 and would have brought 2,000 jobs to metro RVA. This is the first I've heard of this - does anyone know what happened and why it never materialized? I can only imagine that it could very well have opened up a market for air travel to the Far East that could have had a HUGE impact on RIC's growth and development over the past decade. Who knows - had this facility come to pass, we might have gotten MUCH more robust West Coast air service a LOT sooner than we did (meaning, LAX, SFO) - and heck, perhaps we'd already have Alaska Air and RIC-SEA established by now. Man...

Anyway - I'm glad something's going to be built there - but this plant sounds like it was one of those home run balls that RVA would like to have back.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/02/08/code-named-project-gale-would-add-2-4m-square-foot-warehouse-development-near-chester/

Here -- from Reuters -- is the  2014 announcement of the paper production facility:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-shandongtranlin-paper/chinas-shandong-tranlin-to-invest-2-billion-in-u-s-plant-idUSKBN0ET1QO20140618/

project-gale-westdulles-site-plan.png

Screenshot (3944).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

From what I understand, the company was a Chinese company and, according to what I read, had a change of plans all of a sudden.  Therefore, it was never built.  I’m unable to confirm or prove it anywhere, but I can’t help but to think that it might have something to do with this being a Chinese company = not good for national security.  Anyway, not saying this WAS the reason, but I’m sure we can’t rule it out either.  IDK….

I’m also glad that there will be something built on that site.  And, hey, 2.4M sq ft…that’s HUGE!  I just wonder what company is behind it all?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

The site is  currently zoned for heavy industry and was to be the location of the $2 billion Shandong Tranlin Paper Co. production facility proposed ten years ago. That plant was originally planned to be operational by 2020 and would have brought 2,000 jobs to metro RVA. This is the first I've heard of this - does anyone know what happened and why it never materialized?

Per a May 2017 article in the Washington Post:

Since it was announced with great fanfare in June 2014, the project has faced repeated delays, some of them related to land acquisition. The company has yet to begin construction or apply for necessary permits. Two top executives left in recent months.

Now parent company Shandong Tranlin Paper Co. says it will "adjust business plans" for the prospective Chesterfield plant.

The reason for the latest delay sounds like good news for Tranlin: A new technology that the company has been testing in China is working so well that it wants to rethink how it approaches manufacturing elsewhere.

An RTD article from around the same time attributed much of the delay to changes in the parent company's executive leadership, as alluded to in the WaPo article.

And per an October 2017 report from WTVR, the company then missed its deadline to repay a $5 million grant it received from the Commonwealth.  The company instead granted the VEDP a first-position lien on the property, to be released only after the company full reimbursed the Commonwealth, with interest.

Beyond that .... 

Edited to add: Looks like the VEDP took title to the property sometime in 2018 (per the RTD), to be assessed toward the value of the outstanding obligation. In other words, it wasn't a home run ball that RVA gave up, but instead the other side never stepped foot inside the ballpark.

Edited by Flood Zone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

Per a May 2017 article in the Washington Post:

Since it was announced with great fanfare in June 2014, the project has faced repeated delays, some of them related to land acquisition. The company has yet to begin construction or apply for necessary permits. Two top executives left in recent months.

Now parent company Shandong Tranlin Paper Co. says it will "adjust business plans" for the prospective Chesterfield plant.

The reason for the latest delay sounds like good news for Tranlin: A new technology that the company has been testing in China is working so well that it wants to rethink how it approaches manufacturing elsewhere.

An RTD article from around the same time attributed much of the delay to changes in the parent company's executive leadership, as alluded to in the WaPo article.

And per an October 2017 report from WTVR, the company then missed its deadline to repay a $5 million grant it received from the Commonwealth.  The company instead granted the VEDP a first-position lien on the property, to be released only after the company full reimbursed the Commonwealth, with interest.

Beyond that .... 

Edited to add: Looks like the VEDP took title to the property sometime in 2018 (per the RTD), to be assessed toward the value of the outstanding obligation. In other words, it wasn't a home run ball that RVA gave up, but instead the other side never stepped foot inside the ballpark.

Wow - makes me wonder what the heck was going on? Did they even intend to build here in the first place? Did they hit an economic iceberg (using a Titanic reference)? Kinda odd that a company goes through all the machinations to search for and find a location for a one-of-a-kind manufacturing facility, only to then just walk away from it. Was that grant ever repaid in full?

It almost sounds like a smoke-and-mirrors project from the get-go. Very very weird...

On 2/8/2024 at 11:51 AM, I miss RVA said:

Reston-based developer WestDulles Properties is planning to construct a pair of warehouses totaling 2.4 million sq ft of space near Chester on the site of what was originally to be a massive paper products manufacturing facility, according to Jack Jacobs' reporting in today's RBS. The developers have filed a POD with Chesterfield  County for the project that would include offices and warehouse space. The site is  currently zoned for heavy industry and was to be the location of the $2 billion Shandong Tranlin Paper Co. production facility proposed ten years ago. That plant was originally planned to be operational by 2020 and would have brought 2,000 jobs to metro RVA. This is the first I've heard of this - does anyone know what happened and why it never materialized? I can only imagine that it could very well have opened up a market for air travel to the Far East that could have had a HUGE impact on RIC's growth and development over the past decade. Who knows - had this facility come to pass, we might have gotten MUCH more robust West Coast air service a LOT sooner than we did (meaning, LAX, SFO) - and heck, perhaps we'd already have Alaska Air and RIC-SEA established by now. Man...

Anyway - I'm glad something's going to be built there - but this plant sounds like it was one of those home run balls that RVA would like to have back.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/02/08/code-named-project-gale-would-add-2-4m-square-foot-warehouse-development-near-chester/

Here -- from Reuters -- is the  2014 announcement of the paper production facility:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-shandongtranlin-paper/chinas-shandong-tranlin-to-invest-2-billion-in-u-s-plant-idUSKBN0ET1QO20140618/

project-gale-westdulles-site-plan.png

Screenshot (3944).png

So take this with a grain of salt but my electrical company who does every skilled trade under the son has at least 1000 employees from what I remember is supposed to build a giant education training center for all skilled trades. I worked for Atlantic constructors. It’s become a behomth of a skilled trades services company. My electrical manager told me when he was interviewing me said that land was bought for them to build a giant. Training/education center as well as a fabrication and material plant as well. We also got into module projects meaning we would build certain materials paint them and all and sell them to other companies for there  projects. The giant ford plant being built in Memphis tn we had a project called project blue oval and we had the contract to build and fabricate material for that building to go up in Memphis tn. We had a massive tractor trailer ship the beams boxes and boxes of electrical fabricated materials. We definitely lead the way in innovation trying to help out the industry as much as we can to help get stuff built. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Child2021 said:

Chesterfield's "The Lake" development renderings: 

Genito Rd, Midlothian, VA for lease full- Image 1 of 5

Genito Rd, Midlothian, VA for lease full (1)- Image 2 of 5

Genito Rd, Midlothian, VA for lease full (2)- Image 3 of 5

WOW!! These are new renderings, no? What a GREAT find, @Child2021!!! Well done.

Wellllllllllllp - you know what THIS means, my friend. It's RVA/UP Silver Hardware time. Enjoy! Mazal Tov!

image.png.67410d3f31237b47626508da9a50bb58.png

Edited by I miss RVA

I believe we've had previous reporting (RBS?) Hourigan's proposed technology park that could bring up to 13 data centers in eastern Henrico near White Oak.  Today's RT-D brings a report of (rather unsurprising) pushback/opposition to the proposal. Hourigan is seeking rezoning and for the county to greenlight the development.

Oy vey... 

The one potential glimmer of hope: Henrico's Economic Development Authority is VERY bullish on bringing data centers to the county -- it's one of their "big fish" targets that's firmly on their radar screen. (See below) Hoping the pushback goes nowhere and we get this tech park built -- along with all the jobs it will create. We have to keep the metro RVA train rolling foward.

From today's Richmond Times-Dispach:

https://richmond.com/news/local/government-politics/henrico-data-center-opposed-environment-hourigan-eda/article_7c4d51c4-cabf-11ee-a52f-6377789dead4.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

From the Henrico EDA:

https://www.henrico.com/target-sectors/data-centers

65cbee63b0ad0.image.jpg

65cbee99e491f.image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Jacobs has reporting in today's RBS that Hourigan has been tapped to lead construction of LEGO's $1 billion factory in southern Chesterfield. Very cool that not only are LEGO investing in the metro by putting the factory here, they're pumping investment into the area straight-up by hiring a local firm to spearhead construction, which is scheduled to get underway later this year.

Production of LEGO products - originally anticipated to begin in 2025 - will begin in 2027.

Man - I can't wait for this bad boy to get up and running.

ONE NUGGEST WE MAY HAVE MISSED LAST FALL: Last October, LEGO opened a temporary packaging facility at 1600 Ruffin Mill Road - not all that far from the site of where the factory is being built. The 200 employees currently working at the facility will transition over to the factory once it is up and running.

Good stuff all the way around.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/02/15/lego-chooses-local-gc-to-build-its-massive-factory-in-chesterfield-delays-start-date/

RENDERING OF THE NEW FACTORY

lego-factory-rendering-ground-breaking-scaled.jpg

RUFFIN MILL ROAD TEMPORARY PACKAGING FACILITY

lego-ruffin-mill-packaging-facility-696x392.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

I was wondering why the construction seemed to have stopped. They have only cleared the land out there…at least that is as far as I can tell. Definitely no real construction has taken place and that had me worried.  We don’t need another Motorola debacle!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

Who was it in our community who coined the acronym "BANANAs"? (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything, if memory serves, yes?)

The proposed residential development for New Kent has been torpedoed by the county board of supervisors. Ironically one of the members was - last year - a member of the county planning commission that voted to APPROVE the project. His "justification" for RJ'ing the proposed development? He won his seat by 20 votes.

What I find interesting is that the planning commission voted to approve this project LAST SPRING - but apparently the previous BOS kicked the can down the road 'til after the November election.  Interestingly, the comments in RBS are largely in favor of the development and critical of the BOS sending the proposal hurtling into the sun.

Soooooo... I guess the owners of the property are basically SOL now (and as George Carlin would have added - "JWF'd") right?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/02/20/elections-have-consequences-new-kent-board-rejects-liberty-landing-mixed-use-development/

new-kent-liberty-landing-plan.png

It’s a shame that this was voted down.  

The people in the area may not like it but that’s where the elected officials fail for not educating them.   Instead of this nice, compact development there will be 290 individual lots cleared across that part of the county.  If you want to keep your country green/pastoral you should support areas of dense development.  It spares so much more wildness in the end.   That’s how every city in pretty much every country that isn’t the US of A does it. 

• Thanks 1