Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Am I crazy, or is this location just a little bit downriver and on the opposite bank from the Wastewater treatment facility?

It begins at the foot of Pear Street at the Great Ship Lock on the north shore of the James and extends eastward along Dock and Water Streets to where there are two ugly, white silos. The property ends before you reach the old Anabell Lee dock.

Tree Hill Farm, with a commanding view of the Richmond skyline and more than 200 years of history, is about to be sold for development.

The 500-acre property -- fronting on Osborne Turnpike and state Route 5 east of the city in Henrico County -- is under contract to a development group that includes former state Sen. Elmon T. Gray, a Sussex County lumber magnate and scion of an old Virginia political family.

The sale has not been closed and the price is not yet public. The developer is promising to handle the property with care because of its history and its scenic landscape along the James River.

"The target is for this to be a legacy development for this side of Henrico County," said Daniel K. Slone, a lawyer for the Richmond-based buyers, Grayco Inc. and developer Steve Middleton.

Im not quite sure what to think.

Well I would have been on it had I not been at work.

I'll just repost what I did at RCW:

As a lover of this farm, I am deeply saddened. I can understand developing the cow pasture part of the farm which is closer to Rocketts, but there's already development across from the farm. There is a spectacular view even from Osborne and New Market Roads there... now it's about to be blocked. I would have loved for the county to have purchased the farm instead of some greedy developer to turn it into a historical park around the house.

They better have a damn good plan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mclawsdrive the plant normally doesn't stink (it did the last time I went to Ancarrow's Landing a couple weeks ago... but it was just a pocket along Brander St). The BIG problem with the stink comes from a plant that is directly across. One day I will identify it... but it is west of 95 and south of the wastewater plant.

Also Burt, Tree Hill Farm starts a little past Almond Creek to just after the Osborne/New Market split. They can link it with Rocketts, but it'll be some phases later.

The hillside has to be treated with respect. I still favor a park... but people will have a nice view of the city (see my signature). And they better not put up more condos... esssh we have enough of those unaffordable things... it's bad enough that regular people can't get a good view of the city. This is the last hill with a view of the skyline, don't make it unreachable or restricted to the public.

I drove 1.8 miles to Henrico's East Government Center to hear about "The Shops at White Oak Village."

They covered the basic information as reported in the paper and on the news. No shops have committed yet but there was the list of the same big box stores as mentioned. There would be more medium-sized stores like best Buy or Circuit City, Barnes & Nobl, Books-a-Million, or Borders, Pestsmart, Dicks etc. And the (ugh) "lifestyle center" of smaller stores along the main entrance street. Then the outter parcels for the typical restaurants, banks, convenience stores, etc. The Hotel could be a Hilton (and another IIt's the same set-up as before.

They mentioned how the areas would be connected with sidewalks and be pedestrian friendly. There'd be greenspace, traffic circles with greenery and/or fountains, a 50' buffer from Laburnam, entrances at Gay, Pam, and Audubon, a "loop" road with pullovers for buses, there'd be an additional lane for Laburnam, the exit ramps onto Laburnam from 64 would have extra lanes and new traffic lights to allow better access to Laburnam. The designs are typical surburban and imitation town. They'd like to create a gathering place for families and the community. There wouldn't be a movie theater however.

There were several questions about traffic issues in the area (and some roads as far as near RIR). There would be improvements to several roads in the area which were part of the county's plan, not this particular project. Forest City would take care of the roads around the shopping center. Those who showed up, numbered about 100, mainly black and over 50. One question came up if there were a target age group, to which the answer was no, the target crowd is diverse. A question asked about if this would harm small businesses. The answer was they'd make sure there would be room for small business and that small businesses should be protected. Another question asked for a comparison with Short Pump Town Center as in the size of the tract and cost. If I recall, WOV has 136 acres and SPTC had 145 and SP cost more, WOV's about $90 million. Three million could go toward demolition of the current buildings, I'm not sure if this is separate or included in the 90. It'll create about 2,300 construction jobs while the center will employ about 2,100 full time and part time positions and make about $80 million in 20 years (why does that sound like a low number?) Demoliton could begin this fall, construction should start about April, and completion by fall 2008. People really support this project and can't wait for it (one of them my mother). Frank Thornton of Henrico's Fairfield District said that eastern Henrico is "the future of Henrico" and "I think our time has come." He also encouraged people to be involved in planning in order to plan things better. We signed in beofre the meeting and an idea is to send us information and possibly a survey as to what we'd like to see.

In other news, a recreation center for the east should be finished by 2008 and Meadowview Park is becoming a reality. Creighton Rd. between the city line and Laburnam would be finally widened as well as Dabbs House Rd. Other issues brought up were problems with idle youths and possible gangs. Henrico means business when it comes to that...

It's a few miles away. For me to drive to Technology Blvd to me feels like forever. If you go south on Laburnam, turn left on Williamsburg, go past the airport, go past Sandston, go past Seven Pines, go past 295... and there you are! Seems like a lost city after all!

It's a few miles away. For me to drive to Technology Blvd to me feels like forever. If you go south on Laburnam, turn left on Williamsburg, go past the airport, go past Sandston, go past Seven Pines, go past 295... and there you are! Seems like a lost city after all!

Well, considering the distance, seems to me it's a stretch to name the new shopping center White Oak! :unsure:

Well, considering the distance, seems to me it's a stretch to name the new shopping center White Oak! :unsure:

I just hope that the White Oak development does not create new development which will infringe upon Civil War areas.

Edited by Shakman

I just hope that the White Oak development does create new development which will infringe upon Civil War areas.

WHAT?! :sick:

Now you've just gone too far! Let's build a Wal-Mart in the middle of the Gettysburg and Antietam battlefields while we want to destroy Civil War sites? Anyway Varina's a huge place and you best rest assured the already preserved Civil War battlefields and artifacts won't be directly affected for many years. And I think people will respect their being, unlike Mr. Teague from Poltergeist (that's you Shak, my new name for ya).

As for Tree Hill Farm, the defence line that used to be at the Obsorne and New Market split is completely gone. There are remnants of one of the star forts at Old and New Osborne's split. But again, Varina is very big, there's plenty of space for new development and Civil War sites coexisting.

WHAT?! :sick:

Now you've just gone too far! Let's build a Wal-Mart in the middle of the Gettysburg and Antietam battlefields while we want to destroy Civil War sites? Anyway Varina's a huge place and you best rest assured the already preserved Civil War battlefields and artifacts won't be directly affected for many years. And I think people will respect their being, unlike Mr. Teague from Poltergeist (that's you Shak, my new name for ya).

As for Tree Hill Farm, the defence line that used to be at the Obsorne and New Market split is completely gone. There are remnants of one of the star forts at Old and New Osborne's split. But again, Varina is very big, there's plenty of space for new development and Civil War sites coexisting.

My bad... I meant "does not"

I will edit my previous post.

I noticed that typo and wondered if someone would take it literally. :rofl: On my first read I did too, thinking maybe you wanted to eradicate all remnants of the civil war, perhaps because you loathed history class. :P

The chancellorville battlefield near fredericksburg has been threatened by major development for the last few years. Not sure if anything has been approved for development or not. A few proposals were nixed by the county BOS. Don't worry this isn't off topic, some people commute from Fredericksburg to Richmond, although I don't know why they would, considering housing is cheaper in RIC. That means development in Fredericksburg could be considered richmond suburban development, even though it's actually DC suburban development.

Edited by mclawsdrive

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently a development I've been kinda watching has ditched its single home format and is taking on a new shape as a condominium complex. However, I am worried about Maplewood Farm... well the Neale Street farmhouse and barn which sits directly behind my aunt's house. There's no mention of it in the plans! My aunt's subdivision has wanted the barn which is a few feet off one of the subdivision's streets as a playhouse of sorts.

The devlopment didn't sit well with Orchard Glen for fears of diminishing property values, although Maplewood Farms had the same concern about them. But the planned houses were welcomed eventually and then another idea came through that there would be apartments on the other side of the new houses and that wasn't so welcomed. Eventually they too were accepted by Orchard Glen, but now they've been upgraded to condos. Still accepted by the subdivision and apparently approved by Henrico, my aunt's going to have unwanted neighbors behind her. We'll miss looking at the forest and I'll miss the deer... however recently my aunt won't miss them or the groundhog, rabbits, etc that snack on her garden. Well as I told her they're only attracted to her yard with all those things they love she planted... and the welcome sign with the rabbit on it. I guess now, she wouldn't mind condos as they may chase the deer and friends closer to the Chickahominy Swamp.

So today on the way home, I see signs at Mechanicsville and Neale of "Shoppes at Grove Pointe" out parcels to be leased. However I read the commercial part would come later... maybe not. So Grove Pointe will rise at the top of the hill at Springdale east of Mechanicsville Tnpk. Maybe this could finally shoot some electricity into the barren and forgotten Henrico Plaza that looks like a giant ghost of the 70s.

http://www.co.henrico.va.us/planning/minut...od/feb06pod.pdf

starting from the bottom of page 32