Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Well, even if it isn't a mall, they can do more to it to make it resemble a town center type concept....instead of having a sea of parking lots surrounding some big boxes, they can design it in a way that makes walking favorable. Put a couple decks for the big stores, and have streets with parallel parking for the smaller retailers.

I'm pretty sure it won't be like that, but it would be cool if it was.

Opps, New big shopping center in the east end. It said Westin Village or something like that. But maybe they could change it to a mall.

White Oak Village. I'd do that coupe... I don't know why they don't. I remember when the snipers were hitting northern Va that the Home Depot had a deck.

Edited by Cadeho

I think it sounds like a pretty neat development. They won't have the high end shops and store that are in SPTC and SPFP, but it will cater to the tastes of the region. I guess the Fairfield Mall (or East End Mall or whatever it was called) at Nine Mile Road and Laburnam will just fade away more than it has in recent years.

Fairfield Commons formerly Eastgate Mall... is already a ghost. It needs development. There's a giant townhouse complex neaby about to be built. At Creighton and Laburnam more townhouses, a shopping center, and a self-storage place across from there. Also nearby are two tracts of farmland with boarded up houses with a big sign saying it's perfect for retail and/or office space. The Wilkes properties I shared elsewhere also have a sign saying for retail or office. Glenwood Lakes is opening a new section of mega huge houses and Claredon Woods builds a new megahouse every time I go there. There's a development of houses scheduled for Creighton Rd and another under construction now across from St. Paul's Church. Also on Cedar Fork another subdivision is planned. Another further up on Laburnam. There are others further out, there is no excuse for Henrico to treat its east like it has. Fairfield Commons shouldn't be allowed to fade away. It can be torn down and rebuilt or revitalized.

Edited by Cadeho

I think it sounds like a pretty neat development. They won't have the high end shops and store that are in SPTC and SPFP, but it will cater to the tastes of the region.

Agreed... it will be filling a void that has long needed to be filled. PLenty more development will follow after this project, I guarantee.

Wow! at the beginning of 2006, Chesterfield had 299,000 residents. Henrico had around 294,000 residents at the start of 2006. That's on growth of 2.7% and 2% respectively over a year ago. Chesterfield has definitely broken 300,000 residents, and Henrico should by year's end. I just hope we start seeing real population growth in the city as well. I'm tired of hovering around 200,000.

The Richmond area's 'growth monster': Chesterfield

The county quietly passed the 300,000-population mark in January, the first locality in the Richmond area to do it and only the fourth in the state, behind Fairfax County, Virginia Beach and Prince William County.

It did so without notice.

While growth has slowed since the boom of the 1970's, the county still adds in population the equivalent of about 2500 new homes a year.

And the problems the residents don't want will just keep coming.

I have never seen a group of people move to a place that was complained about by former residents and then complain about a newer subdivsion or development. Then those people will do the same thing. And they can't build schools fast enough... hey maybe we need a regional school system? Richmond's schools need people.

It happened in all big cities during that period of time, but I think it hit Richmond particularly hard because of the Confederate attitudes many people had. When major pushes for desegregation occurred, white people and the businesses they owned, flew from downtown so fast, it would make your head spin. Of course, that's a simplistic explanation, and one which everyone already knows.

The good news is, attitudes in race relations have finally evolved to the point that white people aren't afraid to live side by side with people of other races (at least most - there are still some diehards). Now that one whole segment of the population is not draining from the cities, the bleeding is beginning to subside, and the tide is beginning to turn. I think many of the bad things we have come to associate with downtowns, will slowly pass into history over the coming decades. It might be like watching the minute hand move around the clock dial, but it moves, nonetheless. Look at how different downtown Richmond is now than 10 or 15 years ago. Progress. Small steps, but progress.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

RSC are not as bad as it looks, they're doing very good now. maybe even better then the county, after the crazy things a heard on news that happen in Tuckahoe and other schools in Henrico and CF schools being mobil'schools that's crazy!

Richmond schools also have MORE then enough people.

• 4 weeks later...

A new $50million 254-room Hilton is going up on the Broad street property between SPTC and the Domionion property to the west. It will have the second largest ballroom/meeting space of any hotel in Metro Richmond after Richmond Marriott's 15,000 s/f ballroom downtown.

Tommyburban, are any hotels planned at West Broad Village? And is any construction activity taking place there?

Edited by burt

A new $50million 254-room Hilton is going up on the Broad street property between SPTC and the Domionion property to the west. It will have the second largest ballroom/meeting space of any hotel in Metro Richmond after Richmond Marriott's 15,000 s/f ballroom downtown.

Tommyburban, are any hotels planned at West Broad Village? And is any construction activity taking place there?

A new Hilton is going up in Short Pump?!?! I know where the mall is, but where is the Dominion property you speak of? I know theyre building town center west which is well, the lot west of the mall. Maybe this is where the Hilton is going? Ill have to look into that. :thumbsup:

West Broad Village has started demolishing! There are a few acres of trees that are down now, I think theyre planning on keeping some which would be nice. As far as I know, they have 3, 12 story towers planned and 1, 300 room hotel still in the plans, along with all the other things going up as planned. When I emailed them last, they were trying new master plans, moving some buildings here and there. Expect them to release a final soon. :thumbsup:

Edited by TBurban

Sorry, tommy, I meant Town Center West. But isn't Domionion Chevrolet out there near North Gayton Rd. and Broad?

Look at today's RTD business page story about details (and correct location) of the new Hilton and link it, if you know how. I don't know how to link.

Edited by burt

Sorry, tommy, I meant Town Center West. But isn't Domionion Chevrolet out there near North Gayton Rd. and Broad?

Look at today's RTD business page story about details (and correct location) of the new Hilton and link it, if you know how. I don't know how to link.

Hey no problem, Burt :thumbsup: It is Short Pump Town Center West where theyre building the hotel. You were right about the car dealership, I just didnt know it was called Dominion :lol: So I guess this means a total of 2 new hotels for Short Pump, and 3, 12 story office towers. Ill have to check out today. I know they too have cleared out a lot of trees, I never thought it was that big of a lot to build a hotel and shops on. It looks like Short Pump is turning into a Virginia Beach type downtown :blink: being its all suburban sprawl.

The company's most ambitious project is the planned Hilton that would be a part of the Towne Center West development off West Broad Street. The development is between Short Pump Town Center and the Dominion Short Pump car dealership.

The 254-room Hilton would be the area's seventh-largest hotel property based on the number of rooms, according to the convention bureau. It would be slightly smaller than The Jefferson's 264 rooms.

I like this design. It's pretty good for the Short Pump area. At least it has some height and will not spread all over the place in 5 or less floors like many of the rest in suburban Richmond. I like the way developers are looking to build up instead of out in the West End. Of course, I'd rather see the vertical buildings go up downtown, but at least as they are building in the West End they're beginning to build more responsibly.

Reminds me of the Hilton Garden Inn here in VB Town Center only yours is a little larger.

127250543ffskSN_ph.jpg

I think, Guy, there already is one of the Hampton Garden Inns that looks just like the one you pictured. It's at Innsbrook, a mile or so east of Short Pump off of Broad.

Am I making this up, Burban? You're our expert on the far west end. :)