Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

I think, Guy, there already is one of the Hampton Garden Inns that looks just like the one you pictured. It's at Innsbrook, a mile or so east of Short Pump off of Broad.

Am I making this up, Burban? You're our expert on the far west end. :)

Youre right Burt :thumbsup: Theres a Hilton Garden Inn in Innsbrook. I think its around 6 stories? I dont have a picture of it, but I found a rendering.

HiltonInnsbrookfront.jpg

So I drove past "Town Center West" and they had cleared out the lot since the last time I went there (sometime last month). They have already poured the foundation for the shops but I saw no big foundation for the Hilton yet. The shops are supposed to open Winter 2006 which I thought was way too quick of an opening date, but I guess theyll pull it off. They had signs on the fence around it that said "Opening Winter 2006" and they gave a website which was towncenterwest.com. It didnt work for me, it brought me to some other development website. Does it work for anyone else? Anyways, the rendering on the signs looked nice, they matched the mall style and the Hilton rendering style.

Edited by TBurban

Great Short Pump. One day I think they're going to brack from Henrico and become the City of Short Pump. I think, it's just a suggestion, I think we should make a differant forum for Short Pump because of its development boom. Soon by 2010-2012 we won't be calling it suburban anymore.

Edited by JWCJ

Echoes my fears. They don't even have a zip code of their own YET. But there is a law that prevents counties with a population over 200,000 I think from developing incorporated places within its borders. But I am not sure about Henrico going before the GA and requestion to turn the whole county into a city. That may be more of a possibility than the City of Short Pump... but Henrico is basically building the City of Short Pump AKA New Richmond AKA Richmond West.

Honestly, IMO the new hotel looks kind of like most other new suburban hotels, bland with a few more floors. I hope it isn't of sign of what else to expect in the project...

Agreed, Coupe. Bland is definitely the word. Do you suppose West Broad Village will be surburban bland as well?

Yep, I would Tommy. Just as I have expressed my enui with ROTJ and Vistas.

Where is BAM? Now, their designs have some pizazz! :lol:

Ok, it was worth a try :lol:

Ive seen some renderings of West Broad Village, the buildings looked like they had a more modern feel to it. Definitely something I wouldnt expect to ever see in the suburbs. I just wish Short Pump was closer to the city, so if I ever bought a condo in any of the buildings, Id have a great view. The sign from the miles to the city is exactly 13 miles from the West Broad Village site. I wonder if you could catch a glimpse of the city from way up there :D I know its visible from the airport tower, but that being only around 7 miles away.

Edited by TBurban

Is it 13 miles from Capitol Square to West Broad Village, or 13 miles from City limits? I'm sure it's from downtown, but remember that Short Pump is considerably higher in elevation than center city, so maybe you could get a view from the top of a tower out there. On a clear day, you can discern the faint trace of a skyline from the top of the tower at Kings Dominion.

By the way, Coupe says Chesterfield has quietly sneaked over the 300,000 population mark. Is Henrico far behind?

PS: I'll bet you could get a glimpse of the mountains near Charlottesville from a top perch at WBV - on a VERY clear day, that is.

Edited by burt

Is it 13 miles from Capitol Square to West Broad Village, or 13 miles from City limits? I'm sure it's from downtown, but remember that Short Pump is considerably higher in elevation than center city, so maybe you could get a view from the top of a tower out there. On a clear day, you can discern the faint trace of a skyline from the top of the tower at Kings Dominion.

By the way, Coupe says Chesterfield has quietly sneaked over the 300,000 population mark. Is Henrico far behind?

PS: I'll bet you could get a glimpse of the mountains near Charlottesville from a top perch at WBV - on a VERY clear day, that is.

I think the sign shows that from the edge of Short Pump before you hit the entrance to 64 where WBV is, to the Richmond city limits. Somebody catch me if Im wrong :lol:

Im pretty sure Henrico isnt far behind at all opulation wise. In fact, the differnce is what, less than 50 thousand, maybe even less. Most of the growth out here is in the Far West end. Why, I can name 10 neighborhoods off the top of my head that are going up on Nuckols Road and Shady Grove Road. Its crazy to see this kind of housing boom :wacko:

Id love to get that view from the top of one of those towers, to see the mountains and the city, what a dream :D

Yea the Far Westend is really Crazy right now with all the Neighborhoods being built and all the retail as well. There has been alot going on the far west end this whole decade so far since 2000. Me I don't live so much in the Far Westend I live more closer to the city in henrico then short pump. But sadly my parents go out to short pump more than I can think of. But I like going near the city on broad you know where Willow Lawn and Where the Target Barnes & Noble is. I don't know why but I like that better than short pump. But my dad was telling me a few days ago that he can remember when Short Pump had nothing but a small general store and that was it.

Yea the Far Westend is really Crazy right now with all the Neighborhoods being built and all the retail as well. There has been alot going on the far west end this whole decade so far since 2000. Me I don't live so much in the Far Westend I live more closer to the city in henrico then short pump. But sadly my parents go out to short pump more than I can think of. But I like going near the city on broad you know where Willow Lawn and Where the Target Barnes & Noble is. I don't know why but I like that better than short pump. But my dad was telling me a few days ago that he can remember when Short Pump had nothing but a small general store and that was it.

They still have that old general store and gas station, I could snag a picture of it when I get a chance to :thumbsup:

I'll bet you a quarter burban that the 13 mile figure is from Capitol Square to WBV.

I remember well the old filling station and general store. I think they were where Broad Street Road (as we used to call that stretch) and Three Chopt Road intersected.

Back then, there were a few nightclubs along Broad Street Road (or just off of it). First, going west, was Tantilla at the Beltline (I-195); then further west beyond Libby was the elegant Westwood Supper Club (I think it's a Raquet Club now). Further west on Broad, but I'm not sure where, was English Tavern (kinda seedy), and near Short Pump was Tilly's Club, a pretty racous place I have been told.

So that's your history lesson for today, boys! :lol:

Also, burban, I'm pretty sure Henrico's population is now in the 290,000 range. That's why I asked if it had crossed the 300,000 mark.

I'll bet you a quarter burban that the 13 mile figure is from Capitol Square to WBV.

Probably - it's almost 9 miles exactly from Broad & Lauderdale to the city line on Broad near Staples Mill.

Also, burban, I'm pretty sure Henrico's population is now in the 290,000 range. That's why I asked if it had crossed the 300,000 mark.

Census Bureau 2005 estimate is 280,581 for Henrico and 288,876 for Chesterfield.

I remember well the old filling station and general store. I think they were where Broad Street Road (as we used to call that stretch) and Three Chopt Road intersected.

Back then, there were a few nightclubs along Broad Street Road (or just off of it). First, going west, was Tantilla at the Beltline (I-195); then further west beyond Libby was the elegant Westwood Supper Club (I think it's a Raquet Club now). Further west on Broad, but I'm not sure where, was English Tavern (kinda seedy), and near Short Pump was Tilly's Club, a pretty racous place I have been told.

So that's your history lesson for today, boys! :lol:

Youre on for that quarter, Burt :D

A map in my office shows distances from capital square as circles in 2 mile increments. The 12 mile circle intersects Broad st. just east of its intersection with Three Chopt. The 10 mile circle intersects I64 Right at its intersection w/ Gaskins. I64 exit at Broad for Short pump is exit 178. 64 enters the city near Bryan Park at exit 186- the interchange with 195. That is 8 miles.

This leads me to believe that the 13 mile figure is for driving to Capitol Square to WBV.

But, if it were in the city, would you have the same reaction :P

I would have accepted M&R's demolition in favor of a suburban style hotel. except the oldest section.

Short Pump reminds me of Central Park in Fredericksburg... and I hate Central Park now. It was nice when I started going there in 1997, but it is now suburbia to the maxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. But most of it is within Fred's city limits.

So that's where Tantilla was... I have a picture of it. Thanks Burt. This is one reason we missed you!

Edited by Cadeho