Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

This seems like a great development, I just wonder where all these people are coming from to live in all of these new developments. I drive down Bethlehem everyday and the homes they knock down will not be missed. They all are identical except some have the design flipped. Access to I-64 is perfect for this location as well.

There's lots of suburban news this morning for Cam's edification and exasperation. :lol:

Chesterfield surpassed the 300,000 mark in January and has added 7000 new inhabitants since. Ray McAllister, a TD columnist, says "The 300,000-pound gorilla should become a 350,000-pounder by about 2014, a 400,000-pounder by 2022 and a 450,000-pounder by 2030."

In another story it's reported that Guminick properties is planning Staples Mill Center with 2000+ homes, condos and apartments on 80 acres between Libby Avenue and Staples Mill Road. Most of it, including two 15-story condominiums, will rise on the old Suburban Apartments tract.

The $434 million project in five phases is expected to be completed in 10 years.

See these stories in today's TD.

Burt I don't have a problem with suburbs or suburbanization. Roseland is a neat idea, I only wish it wasn't sprawling... plus anything south of the James I could care less... Chesterfield always seems to approve eveything.

And the Staples Mill Center is a perfect example of what Henrico needs to do with its inner and older ring of suburbs. I couldn't be more excited for that development because that land has been vacant for too long. Plus it's within my old stomping grounds.

I'm not that easy to guess. ;)

Edit: Ohh! I can't wait for Henrico to rediscover Henrico Plaza... they could do a mini-version of Staples Mill there.

Edited by Cadeho

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was an interesting article from today's RTD. Henrico is now going to allow taller buildings to be built in the county. At least now we know exactly what the height restrictions are in Henrico, whereas before, I had no clue. I personally think that this is a bit late for this type of allowance because now the whole county is all spread out, but I guess they didn't have the foresight years ago to do something like this. Anyway, it's a good read. Check it out here:

Henirco's Growth Looking Skyward

I thought this was an interesting article from today's RTD. Henrico is now going to allow taller buildings to be built in the county. At least now we know exactly what the height restrictions are in Henrico, whereas before, I had no clue. I personally think that this is a bit late for this type of allowance because now the whole county is all spread out, but I guess they didn't have the foresight years ago to do something like this. Anyway, it's a good read. Check it out here:

Henirco's Growth Looking Skyward

Reading between the lines, it seems from that story that Mead WestVaco's final decision to locate in the city may have been a direct result of height limitations in Henrico. If that's the case, maybe Richmond should hope the surrounding counties do NOT relax their building codes. :)

Did anyone but me notice that the story did not include mention of the new 12-story Hilton at Town Center West; The Westin at Reynolds Crossing nor the proposed residential towers at the old Suburban Apartments development by Gumminick?

Edited by burt

The Westin at Reynolds won't be very tall.. I think like 4 stories or so. What is interesting is that Henrico eludes that height was a factor for MWV when the county had no problems with much taller buildings out at West Broad Village. I doubt height was a factor because they could have just had a height allowance for MWV.

Perhaps that example was meant to show that companies coming to Richmond like MWV require substantial amounts of space and that with less open space available to build in Henrico, they must allow for taller heights to accomodate large businesses.

• 2 weeks later...

White Oak Village project may receive county assistance

an excerpt:

The Board of Supervisors will take public comment tonight on the proposed financing of public improvements for the $152.8 million retail and hotel project proposed at Laburnum Avenue and Interstate 64. The meeting starts at 7 p.m. at the county administration building at 4301 E. Parham Road.

The project is expected to include a Target and a Lowe's store, as well as one other major retailer. Ukrop's Super Markets Inc. also plans to move a store to the site, which is projected to include more than 917,000 square feet of retail space. A 150-room hotel also is planned near the I-64 interchange.

Local developer Thomas E. Pruitt and his partner, Cleveland-based Forest City Enterprises Inc., have asked Henrico to create a community development authority and a special tax district to pay for $25 million in bonds for the project's public facilities, such as roads, utilities and sewers.

The county created a community development authority for Short Pump. The authority issued about $25 million in bonds for about $22 million in public improvements.

Basically, the developer would be requesting a similar package that he received when building Short Pump Town Center.

• 2 weeks later...

A fence is up at White Oak's site all the way to 64.

I've seen a couple of teams surveying along Mechanicsville Tnpk, one at Montezuma Farm and the other at Maplewood Farm. I wonder what could be in store for Montezuma and Maplewood is where Grove Point is supposed to be.

Edited by Cadeho

A fence is up at White Oak's site all the way to 64.

I've seen a couple of teams surveying along Mechanicsville Tnpk, one at Montezuma Farm and the other at Maplewood Farm. I wonder what could be in store for Montezuma and Maplewood is where Grove Point is supposed to be.

Cam, I've never heard of Montezuma Farm, Maplewood Farm or Grove Point. Could you elaborate on these sites?

Not to go too off topic...but there's rumor that the Innsbrook Library will be shutting down permanently, and all its books will be used to stock the new Twin Hickory Library....does anyone know if this is true?

Never mind that.....it's true, i had no idea.

Innsbrook Branch Library library opened December 1, 1992. The library serves residents in the rapidly growing Three Chopt District. It is located in the Innsbrook Corporate and Residential Environment, serving a portion of the West End of Henrico County. It will be replaced by the Twin Hickory Area Library, at 5001 Twin Hickory Road, in Summer 2007.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I've seen ads for this as well and had no idea what it was about. I'm pretty sure work has started on it, but I don't know how much progress. It's across from Ivymont Square, where Kroger is putting in a store where K-mart used to be....backs up to Salisbury basically as well.

I'll try to look into it...

With 320,000sf of retail space planned, I wonder what kind of stores they have in mind? It's supposed to be complete in 2009.

You know, I really like the walkable small town layout of Sycamore Square, which isn't far from this place. It would be neat to have them connected with similar walkable "new urban" development though that's highly unlikely to happen.

Fairfield Common's parkinglot is being torn up along Laburnam, could this mean they actually have a plan to revitalize with out parcels? I found it hilarious, that Christmas commercial for them last month. I mean come on! If you saw that commercial you'd be saying that too...

So they've leveled the land where Target Golf once was along Pouncey Tract, across from the new elementary school, which has since been dubbed, Colonial Trails. I wonder if Pouncey place decided to relocate to the old Target Golf lot, instead of the corner lot on Twin Hickory Lake Drive and Pouncey Tract....

So they've leveled the land where Target Golf once was along Pouncey Tract, across from the new elementary school, which has since been dubbed, Colonial Trails. I wonder if Pouncey place decided to relocate to the old Target Golf lot, instead of the corner lot on Twin Hickory Lake Drive and Pouncey Tract....

What is Pouncey Place, Tommy? Have thery renamed Pouncey Tract Road Colonial Trail(s). Why not just continue the Pump Road name north of Broad, I wonder?

What is Pouncey Place, Tommy? Have thery renamed Pouncey Tract Road Colonial Trail(s). Why not just continue the Pump Road name north of Broad, I wonder?

:thumbsup:

Pouncey Place

Located at one of the primary entrances to the Twin Hickory neighborhood, this site is strategically situated to serve the residents of Twin Hickory as well as the traffic that continues to grow on Pouncey Tract Road. With very little commercial-zoned land left for development in this corridor, this site may be the only retail site located on Pouncey Tract between Interstate 64 and Nuckols Road. For additional information, please contact June Smith at 320-5275.

The elementary school that they are building across from the VDOT Short Pump HQ(along Pouncey Tract) has been named Colonial Trails Elementary.

• 3 weeks later...

Some suburban development updates:

Northrup Grumman's Meadowville facility is nearly complete.

Foundation and footing work is well underway for the Westin Hotel at Reynolds Crossings. From the appearance of the footings, the structure should a steel structure. (Sorry, no tower crane(s). Though I hope I am wrong.)

Meadowville is stepping up their marketing campaign and really focusing on getting the interchange started. That will help sell access to the park. They have been on the radar screen (and finalists) for lots of good deals. Maybe now with one in place the momentum will really get going.

Meadowville is stepping up their marketing campaign and really focusing on getting the interchange started. That will help sell access to the park. They have been on the radar screen (and finalists) for lots of good deals. Maybe now with one in place the momentum will really get going.

I think the Meadowville/Rivers Bend area is going to experience considerable residential growth because of N/G locating there as well as upcoming major expansion at nearby Ft. Lee.

Not to mention my Aunts Business Park called the Sustainability that I told Coupe and Tommy about... Is gonna attract lots of companies as well as my aunts which will be the main anchor... She has already attracted a Horse Bedding Company from Chicago Illinois... Is also working with many other Tenants for the Park and hopes to be running the Park this year.. not to mention my dad is expanding his Business down there as well.... So my Dad's and my Aunts Companies Expansions are really gonna help out that area... The Sustainability Park is gonna attract a Maximum of 150 Jobs.

Edited by Downtowner