Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

I hope this helps better describe the I-295 and I-64 Flyover Project...

http://virginiadot.org/projects/const-project.asp?ID=239

What's Being Done

* A lane will be added to the outside of I-64 in both directions between Route 288 and Route 250 (Broad St. exit 178).

* The current one-lane ramp from I-295 north to westbound I-64 (towards Charlottesville) will be increased to two lanes.

* A new, two-lane flyover ramp will carry eastbound I-64 traffic to I-295 south. The ramp will be 1,765 feet long and 35 feet above I-64.

Pouncey Tract Road widening:

* Road work will take place between Twin Hickory Lake Drive and the first signal north of Broad Street.

* The existing two lane bridge over I-64 will be replaced with a new, four-lane bridge. The new bridge will be 338 feet long with a raised median, sidewalks and aluminum railing on each side.

* Modifications will be made to the first traffic signal north of Broad Street.

Why is this road being built?

The flyover bridge and additional lanes will improve the flow of traffic on I-64 between I-295 and Route 288.

Features

The project calls for two sound walls. One along I-64 east, west of Pouncey Tract Road between I-64 and the Reflections at West Creek complex. The second sound wall will be between I-295 north towards I-64 and the Twin Hickory neighborhoods of Waters Edge, Cobblestone Landing and Parsons Walk. This sound wall does not extend westbound past the Pouncey Tract bridge.

Impact on Traffic

Motorists can expect nighttime lane closures starting in April 2006 along Pouncey Tract Road, I-295 and I-64. Major lane closures will be in effect along I-295 from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. and along Pouncey Tract Road and I-64 between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

In addition, there will be periodic overnight detours of I-64 traffic onto Broad Street to allow contractors to place structural steel for the new bridge and demolish two existing bridges (Pouncey Tract Road bridge and I-295 bridge over I-64). These detours will take place between 10:30 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. and will be announced prior to implementation.

It's confusing that they refer to I-295 in the direction away from I-64 near Short Pump as running "southbound". It's consistent with the majority of the signage on the route, but it's inaccurate based on compass directions, as the section from I-95 west to I-64 runs in the exact opposite direction to how VDOT describes it.

In fact, the signage on this section of I-295 doesn't even use compass markers -- it exclusively uses control cities and expressways for directioning.

I think, for this reason, this section of I-295 should instead be renamed as part of Va-288 (along with the intermediate section of I-64). By extension, the entire half-loop from I-95 in the north to I-95 in the south along the western edge of the region could be renumbered as an Interstate (following an application, of course) to something like I-695. The only disadvantage to this is that the east-west bypass movement would be on discontinuous numbers, but I think it's a far less popular movement and wouldn't even be impacted terribly much by using two numbers.

I know we discussed this development somewhere -- is it called Monumental Gardens? I've forgotten, but believe it is a Gumrnick project. Anyway, I can't find the thread in which it is discussed.

A friend told me the other day that he and his wife had pretty well decided to sell their Cary Street Road house and try condo living.

They looked at and liked a 4000 s/f fourth floor unit at the project that is going up at Willow Lawn Drive and Monument Avenue. They were ready to put down a $50K deposit, but were told that not even an approximate move-in date could be given. So, my friends thanked them and left.

He did tell me though, that an incredible amount of work is being done below ground -- hugh culverts being laid, etc.

Edited by burt

Yeah, they are digging and moving a lot of earth. Here's the website:

Monument Square

Thanks, JSI. Monument Square is the name I was grasping for. I didn't mean to imply that my friends looked at an actual unit, because nothing is above ground yet. They based their decision to buy on floor plans, I guess. Pity the sales manager couldn't give them an approximate move-in date; they'll remain in their house but, I gathered that they are open to suggestions for something semi-urban like Monument Square.

Edited by burt

Staples Mill Square

- 200,000 sf.

- Target is the anchor, opening planned for October

- Henrico

Northcross Center

- 170,000 sf.

- Home Depot already there

- Gander Mountain sporting goods store is set to open 2008

- 20,000 sf of smaller shops

- Hanover

White Oak Village

- 914,000 sf

- Tenants are Target, Lowe's, and Ukrops

- 150 hotel

- Construction starting this fall

- Henrico

Chippenham Place

- Cloverleaf Mall will be razed by 2008

- Plans call for 200,000 sf of commercial space with over 500 residences

- Kroger will be anchor tenant

- Chesterfield

Edited by TBurban

Midlothian Towne Center

- 320,000 sf of retail space

- 10,000 sf of office space

- 251 condos

- Chesterfield

Westchester Commons

- 1 million sf of retail

- 1 million sf of office space

- 1,600 residential units

- All on part of Watkins tract

- Chesterfield

Shops at Westchester

- 275,000 sf mostly for banks, restaurants, and small retailers

- Chesterfield

Roseland

- 1.5 million+ sf of retail, office, and commercial space

- 5,140 residential units

- nearby, 600 acres tract for 740 residential units

- Chesterfield

Millennium Town Center

- 250,00 sf

- Scheduled for spring 2008

- Chesterfield

Hancock Village

- 540,000 sf of retail space

- Tenants are Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney, Bed Bath and Beyond, La-Z-Boy, Books-a-Million, and Starbucks.

- Opening set for Spring 2008

- Chesterfield

Stonehenge Village

- 180,000 sf

- No tenants announced

- Phase 1 progressing

- Chesterfield

Woodlands Costco

- 360,000 sf

- includes 160,000 sf Costco

- 453 apartments

- Chesterfield

Edited by TBurban

White Oak Village project may receive county assistance

an excerpt:

Basically, the developer would be requesting a similar package that he received when building Short Pump Town Center.

CommRe. this report by Coupe from the RTD is the latest thing I can find on White Oak. But it seems to me I have seen a partial rendering or schematic somewhere.

Can anyone else provide a site plan for the Eastern Henrico life style center to be known as White Oak?

Edited by burt

I think the Meadowville/Rivers Bend area is going to experience considerable residential growth because of N/G locating there as well as upcoming major expansion at nearby Ft. Lee.

I'll be moving to the new N/G building in July. So what the heck is out there? Are there any restaurants or retail within a short hop, or is it a virtual desert? I was very happy to be back in downtown Richmond after 2.5 years in Reston but, alas, it seems as though my reacquaintance with downtown will be short lived. :(

Edited by Culpeper Hokie

Staples Mill Centre

News reports say this project has been approved by Henrico County

Site Plan:

smc-siteplan.jpg

From Gumenick Properties website

Details

Gumenick Properties will develop Staples Mill Centre, a new $434 million mixed-use community on a 79.5-acre site along Staples Mill Road in Henrico County. Upon completion, the Staples Mill Centre site will have 571 condominiums, 391 townhomes, 32 single-family homes and 1,096 apartments. The community also will have +/- 50,000 square feet of office space and 100,000 square feet of retail space.

2 15-story towers will be at the center of the project.

For more info, check out their website.

****Also, this is a pretty big project that seems to do a decent job of embracing new urbanism. It is also redevelopment of an older area, not Short Pumpesque development of greenfield space further and further and further out. Anyone see any value in dedicating a thread to it?

Edited by wrldcoupe4

I agree Coupe and BP. Since it has been approved, I think it should have its own thread.

Do you think the thread should include Gumenick's other project at Monument Avenue and Willow Lawn Drive? Apparently they will be under construction at the same time, though utility work is already ongoing at Monument Square.

Edited by burt

I cant remember where I had mentioned it, but Cam and I were talking about an old church in Short Pump by Tom Leonard's that is now abandoned and the land for sale.

Here's the site....

untitled2jk7.png

This site has been purchased by a company known as Atlantic Development, their plans are to turn it into a shopping center.

It's so weird not seeing forest across from Laburnam Park Shopping Center... and seeing the inside of Viasystems looks like something from a sci-fi movie.

I have found that the demolition of several properties near Montezuma Farm is for St. Claire Ridge condominums... as long as they don't touch Montezuma I'm fine.

On Cedar Fork road, the neat old farm is gone (the northern property line was site of part of the Richmond & Rappahannock River Railroad) and Cedar Run is being built. Not far away there are two developments off Creighton, one of which has paved streets and nothing else! It also has a paved road that leads to a very steep valley for no reason! I can't remember the name of that subdivision. I came across a list from Henrico's schools anticipating a list of new developments for both Fairfield and Varina districts.

Maybe we'll finally get a Red Lobster... a Quizno's, a Sheetz, a Wawa, and some other stuff... but I did see they were thinking about building a LJS/A&W near Williamsburg and Laburnam.

Now if only they can plan something for Henrico Plaza. I have to look at it everyday now since I'm near it. I also see something going on in the vast vacant parkinglot of the old Sears building at the Ghettofabulouslandizzle Mall AKA Fairfield Commons.

The Innsbrook Library will officially close its doors on May 8th, of this year. The transfer of its books will follow into the latter weeks of May, continuing into June. The Twin Hickory Library will host its grand opening on July 8th, with a public opening on July 9th.

The Twin Hickory Library

thloy1.png

Features:

• Computer Lab

• Approximately 100 public computers throughout the building

• Drive-thru book return and pick-up window

• Large Public Meeting Room

• Conference Room

• Group Study Rooms

• Dedicated Children's Program Room

• Teen reading area -- area exclusively for teens

[*]Caf