Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

25 minutes ago, Midwoodian said:

Monday night I saw 2 homeless people sheltering at CLT.  One in the new ticketing area, and 1 in the car rental atrium.  I feel badly for these people, but I'm shocked that CLT and CMPD are allowing them to shelter at the airport.  

Charlotte is a tough airport for homeless people to get to so that's surprising, but this is pretty common at airports with a direct transit station such as Atlanta, Cleveland, and Chicago O'Hare. Atlanta has had waves of 100 - 300 homeless people and O'Hare has had around 650 sleep in the ticketing and baggage area. O'Hare recently did a mass clearing and they now check for your boarding pass before you are able to exit the Blue Line train station or employee ID. Those without are turned away. 

To my understanding, to avoid potential litigation issues, the police would need to fairly ask everybody if they have legitimate business at the airport versus just targeting certain people based on appearances. Lots of people set up shop at the airport to sleep overnight when their flight is delayed and don't get a hotel... so you'd have to ask all the people camping out and not just those that look homeless. O'Hare implemented that by randomly asking people sitting in the non-secure areas of the airport for a boarding pass or reason for being at the airport. Denver has taken a pretty strict approach and is immediately arresting. They have a core group of about 30 repeat visitors that spend a night in jail, get released, board the train back the airport, get arrested, et.. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

JetBlue has declined to appeal the decision invalidating their partnership with AA and will begin the process to terminate the partnership. AA, for its part, has decided to move forward with their appeal. Not sure what, if any, effect this might have on service at CLT. I imagine JetBlue would at the very least restart CLT-JFK.

JetBlue Airways Corporation - JetBlue Issues Statement on Its Northeast Alliance with American Airlines

American Airlines statement on the Northeast Alliance - American Airlines Newsroom (aa.com)

• Like 2

Only tangentially relevant here but it caught my eye:

The RDU-Paris flight currently operated by Delta will be upgauged to a 787-9 and  flip to Air France service in October. This route has always puzzled me, I imagine its much lower yielding than the RDU London route so I would have thought AF would have better options for using a new plane (but I have also been confused about the nature of Delta’s pseudo-mini-focus-hub at RDU). While AF and Delta are partner airlines the article does not explain the rationale for the shift — can anyone here offer some expertise on this change? I am curious.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/07/12/rdu-nonstop-to-paris-air-france-delta.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, videtur quam contuor said:

Did this renovation enlarge the baggage and counter areas? 

It isn't complete yet and tenants like American and Spirit are still in the old counter area. United, Southwest, et. have moved to new counters though with a good amount more depth for forming lines and allowing people to move about. Baggage areas have had some increased square footage on the west end, but carousels still need to be replaced. Baggage claim for American is still in old format. You can hear construction happening all around it though behind construction walls.

The total square footage increase in the lobby will be 175,000.

Security Checkpoint B is currently closed for the renovation so lines are rather long for standard security at peak hours. Only Checkpoint A and E are taking standard security. Checkpoint D is special assistance and employees. Checkpoint C is TSA Precheck and is still usually walk thru - 10 minutes max.

Edited by CLT2014

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

^ Local O&D traffic definitely feels up compared to prior years.  Increasingly on flights I find myself sitting next to passengers who are actually beginning and ending their journey in Charlotte versus connecting. The baggage claim area feels busier and the American check in counters feel busier than historically. 

the article stated 70% are transfer passengers but that means 30% are local which does seem higher percentage than in years past.  People drive from all over the Carolinas to fly out out of CLT plus our region has really grown.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I hope so! It feels so congested.  I wish they’d put high ceilings also but don’t think so :(

No high ceilings but if I remember from looking at the drawings, there will be 8-9 baggage belts vs the 4 they have now.  They will go perpendicular to the direction they go now and it should cut down on the congestion.  I can honestly say, we have THE worst baggage claim area of any large airport that I have been to.  Feels like it was designed in the 70's for an airport that was 1/8 its current size...

• Like 4

Work near the airport and have noticed a couple Alligiant planes flying in and out the last couple of days. Digging around on FlightAware and found arrivals from AVL and SBF yesterday and a departure to SBF today. I'm not aware of anything going on in town that would require charter flights going in/out, might they be test runs for a possible switch from Concord? 

• 2 weeks later...

Lol...efficient how? CLT's layout is easily the most inefficient among U.S. airports today. I've never heard of ATRS and I wouldn't say they come across as an industry leader...they use a Gmail address on their website. 

Anyways, I flew in Thursday on United. I noticed that the digital art screens on A North were both turned off (the screens were black) and I recall they were turned off in December as well. Are they broken/no longer being used? 

I also noticed that a set of moving walkways on the connector to A North appear to have been out of service for an extended period of time as there are moveable floor to ceiling wall dividers essentially dividing the connector. 

CLT is sadly using the same crappy terrazzo vendor for the Terminal Lobby project. Besides scuff marks and giant stains everywhere, there are a few large indentations near the new ticket counters that the wheels of my suitcase got caught in. I cannot believe someone would sign off on that project...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Lol...efficient how? CLT's layout is easily the most inefficient among U.S. airports today. I've never heard of ATRS and I wouldn't say they come across as an industry leader...they use a Gmail address on their website. 

Most likely cost efficiency + one time ratings. CLT is operating a major hub on a shoe string budget that greatly benefits American Airlines, who is happy to keep sending more and more passengers through the airport without regards to the passenger experience or wanting to agree to a more expensive master lease agreement (they are basically operating at CLT for free compared to other airports). In addition, despite the airport layout and crowding, CLT is operating the majority of flights on time in a region with volatile summer weather with 80%+ on time ratings. Cirium's annual ranking of most on time global airports put CLT #10 (SLC was #1). 

Airports w/ similar passenger volume to CLT: Operating revenue

CLT: $350 million 

Orlando: $683 million

SEA: $800 million

SFO: $820 million

Miami: $900 million

CLT's revenues are more similar to Salt Lake City ($290 million budget), which is moving half the amount of passengers as CLT each year and half the amount of scheduled departures. 

I'd guess other airports look at CLT and are like "How the heck do they even keep the lights on with that budget?" I don't think American is going to abandon the hub at this point and the airport needs to play hardball next time to get them to pay significantly more for their lease agreement. I'm frustrated American is benefiting so much from their operations in CLT while barely wanting to budge on funding more improvements, but I understand they view their ops here all about extracting the most profit margin possible per connecting passenger. 

While CLT's layout is not ideal (would be preferable if there were two runways on each side of the terminal complex with a layout more like ATL or DTW), there are definitely worse layouts. EWR is in an unenviable position with just two parallel runways, with one handling arrivals and the other handling departures. Blame the FAA, blame United, et. but the airport is complicated for operating a major hub. Many airports also still have separate terminals not connected behind security, which can require exiting your terminal to connect airlines and re-clearing security or you can't access lounges in other terminals (the complicated connecting set up at LAX and notorious traffic in the roadway loop or the Chase lounge not being accessible to Delta passengers at Boston, et.). Depending on the metric for airport layout, I'd say it thus depends. For crowding at the gates.... yeah CLT is probably the worst major airport right now. Renovating B and C versus just starting over was a mistake IMO if American wants to keep growing and adding more A321's to each gate. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Most likely cost efficiency + one time ratings. CLT is operating a major hub on a shoe string budget that greatly benefits American Airlines, who is happy to keep sending more and more passengers through the airport without regards to the passenger experience or wanting to agree to a more expensive master lease agreement (they are basically operating at CLT for free compared to other airports). In addition, despite the airport layout and crowding, CLT is operating the majority of flights on time in a region with volatile summer weather with 80%+ on time ratings. Cirium's annual ranking of most on time global airports put CLT #10 (SLC was #1). 

Airports w/ similar passenger volume to CLT: Operating revenue

CLT: $350 million 

Orlando: $683 million

SEA: $800 million

SFO: $820 million

Miami: $900 million

CLT's revenues are more similar to Salt Lake City ($290 million budget), which is moving half the amount of passengers as CLT each year and half the amount of scheduled departures. 

I'd guess other airports look at CLT and are like "How the heck do they even keep the lights on with that budget?" I don't think American is going to abandon the hub at this point and the airport needs to play hardball next time to get them to pay significantly more for their lease agreement. I'm frustrated American is benefiting so much from their operations in CLT while barely wanting to budge on funding more improvements, but I understand they view their ops here all about extracting the most profit margin possible per connecting passenger. 

While CLT's layout is not ideal (would be preferable if there were two runways on each side of the terminal complex with a layout more like ATL or DTW), there are definitely worse layouts. EWR is in an unenviable position with just two parallel runways, with one handling arrivals and the other handling departures. Blame the FAA, blame United, et. but the airport is complicated for operating a major hub. Many airports also still have separate terminals not connected behind security, which can require exiting your terminal to connect airlines and re-clearing security or you can't access lounges in other terminals (the complicated connecting set up at LAX and notorious traffic in the roadway loop or the Chase lounge not being accessible to Delta passengers at Boston, et.). Depending on the metric for airport layout, I'd say it thus depends. For crowding at the gates.... yeah CLT is probably the worst major airport right now. Renovating B and C versus just starting over was a mistake IMO if American wants to keep growing and adding more A321's to each gate. 

To be fair, I don't know of any connecting complex in the U.S. today that requires you to exit the terminal and re-clear security when transferring to the same airline on a domestic flight. The southern terminals at LAX are all connected airside via a series of walkways, and most of the northern terminals are connected via shuttle bus...I think the only terminal that doesn't feature a direct connection to the rest of the complex is the Southwest terminal (T1). It's almost moot because LAX isn't really a connecting complex for any carrier. 

The only facility I can think of where you need to physically leave the terminal and transit in a non-sterile area to another terminal is the FIS/international arrivals process for AA/UA passengers at ORD as both of their terminals (for now) lack FIS. 

In terms of efficiency, I was speaking more in terms of taxiway/airside congestion in terms of aircraft movements rather than the overall PaxEx at the gate. 

CLT is appearing more and more like DTW pre-WorldGateway to me by the day. 

Edited by LKN704