Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

On 8/21/2023 at 3:43 PM, tozmervo said:

Someone suggested (maybe on UP, I can't remember where) that the Terrazzo is not allowed to fully cure because the airport has to put the spaces back into use in less than 24 hours. That might explain the concourses if they are doing overnight installs, but that would not explain brand new terminal areas. 

If only. Concourse A (the old one) flooring on one side was completely partitioned off during installation for six months. It still looks like merde. I'm just really curious as to how the new sections of flooring in the terminal expansion will look when all is complete. Also, the new restrooms adjacent to the parking garage tunnel already look as if they haven't seen a mop or maintenance in many years (they're a year old). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, videtur quam contuor said:

Booking to LGA today and Delta is usually the better deal for all classes of travel. After making booking I checked AA to see what I saved and...AA had a matching price! Is that true for other destinations?

If another airline flies the nonstop with a similar schedule then AA most likely matches or beats the fare. There are very few overlapping nonstops out of CLT relative to the total number of nonstops AA offers though. Also keep in mind AA typically flies many more seats and usually many more frequencies to any given nonstop destination than the OALs. So AA can match fares on competitors’ similar capacity and timing and still have capacity left over to charge higher fares to O/D passengers. Which also means other airlines have little reason to try to undercut AA in the first place. 

4 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Lufthansa's Frankfurt hub is also largely connections. 80% of passengers on Lufthansa between North America and Frankfurt are just connecting through to elsewhere as opposed to visiting Frankfurt. They will likely connect a good amount of RDU travelers to India, elsewhere in Germany, Eastern Europe, Greece, Italy, et.. The Frankfurt hub is sort of similar to CLT... all about connections as opposed to the heavy O&D that British enjoys at LHR and Air France enjoys in Paris. 

absolutely and the mention of India is important.  The Triangle has many Indian based companies and the largest concentration of Asian Indians in the Carolinas.   Infosys and HCL Technologies both have big operations and are Indian based companies.  Plus many smaller biopharma and tech companies have operations there. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 5:30 PM, videtur quam contuor said:

Booking to LGA today and Delta is usually the better deal for all classes of travel. After making booking I checked AA to see what I saved and...AA had a matching price! Is that true for other destinations?

The quality of the trip on Delta is worth it, especially at the same price lol. Going to be nice with that Sky Club next year...

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.472924aa068c2fd7178b4bd1ee805000.png

A survey I can get behind IMO - CLT's score seems about right.

I'm surprised to see Denver score so high. It isn't a bad airport and its terminals are much roomier than Charlotte, but the terminal needs a giant refresh. The whole terminal feels like (and looks like) a shopping mall that was designed in the 1990s, which is essentially what it is. 

Not sure how Miami scored so high...a literal dump. 

• Like 1

I agree Denver could use a refresh but it's got a lot going for it.

On the tangible side is good competition and, at least when we lived there, much more competitive fares than here. A train into the city fwiw. Very roomy and generally fast security. Great restaurant options catered by some local favorite restaurants in addition to all the crap chains you could ask for. Clean and large restrooms.

On the intangible side as a visitor to Denver you just kind of smile when you land and get on the terminal train and they play the goofy Western music and a message from the mayor. Then there are all the greeters asking clueless looking people if they need help. You just feel welcome. 

It's a totally different experience than here especially for arrivals. They really cater to the tourist trade to everyone's benefit - which we don't have. 

Orlando must be improved from the last time I was there! 

Edited by elrodvt

On 9/20/2023 at 11:19 AM, LKN704 said:

I'm surprised to see Denver score so high. It isn't a bad airport and its terminals are much roomier than Charlotte, but the terminal needs a giant refresh. The whole terminal feels like (and looks like) a shopping mall that was designed in the 1990s, which is essentially what it is. 

Denver is in the middle of a $1 billion renovation. 

• Like 1

The Triangle has a massive Indian community that regularly visits India, so the Frankfurt thing makes sense.

On 9/20/2023 at 11:19 AM, LKN704 said:

image.thumb.png.472924aa068c2fd7178b4bd1ee805000.png

A survey I can get behind IMO - CLT's score seems about right.

Not sure how Miami scored so high...a literal dump. 

I always see Detroit so high on rankings like this. My couple memories of it include sprinting along its massive length to a connection because the trains were down, and sprinting another time because my arrival gate was halfway between train stops and I had to connect in the other smaller terminal... which is a long walk that is only partially aided by very crowded moving walkways. Maybe I just got unlucky, but I have always felt that it's not a good design for an airport with lots of connections. Gates are just so far from each other in the gigantic terminal and it can be very difficult to reach them, not to mention the requirement of walking to the other terminal. I have had much better experiences in Atlanta where frequent trains just plop you directly in your terminal of choice and you never have to walk very far. 

Also, Detroit airport is SO far from the city. When I actually want to visit people in the Detroit area, it has always been an hour+ drive even with light traffic because the airport is just so far away to the south from most of the metropolitan area.

Edited by Reverie39