Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Sun Country previously announced that they would begin twice-weekly MSP-CLT service on April 13th.  But I was just checking their schedule  (looking to plan at least one trip to Minneapolis to catch some Twins games!) when I noticed that their first flight to Charlotte is this Friday, March 31st, with a return to MSP on Sunday April 2nd.   Looking through the summer,  it seems like this and a number of other flights have been added on days immediately before/after Charlotte FC away games -- sometimes, but not always, MSP-CLT the day before, CLT-MSP the day after -- in addition to their weekly Tuesday and Friday flights.  Apologies if this was already mentioned here.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

On a previous page isn't there a plan outlined for a enormous admirals club to be built?  Seems like an investment is coming.

Has an employee of AA I'm generally pretty disappointed with our product, but I do think albeit slowly, we are heading in the right direction.

Yes.  Nothing is stopping AA from opening another small one even now, though.

AA’s employees are great-nearly all friendly and helpful- and I take AA because of them.  The planes are nice and the new Admirals Clubs at other airports are also first-rate.  It’s just CLT’s facilities that are the issue.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Is an airport a "pleasant place to spend time"? Should it be? Is it necessary? Are there examples of such pleasantness ( or other descriptor of your choice)?

GSP Airport and Singapore. Both were ranked as two of the best airports in the world recently: 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/amp/best-airports-airport-service-quality-awards-aci/index.html

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Well I agree that another admirals club is necessary and should be opened.  I don't think there's actually any readily available space.  And I don't think it's as simple as you think?  What do you suggest? Should Charlotte's get rid of some gates close it off just to build an admirals club?  I thought there should be an admirals club down an e concourse for at least a decade.  But again there's no available real estate to build one.

I think the massive one they are going to build is going to be a huge help, however it is obviously going to take some time to get it together.

GSP is probably one of my favorite airports in the country.  

• Like 1

"Pleasant" is relative. 

By and large, I don't think most people (including those on this forum) are expecting U.S. airports to be grandiose spaces. Unfortunately, we place little value on that type of public infrastructure in this country. No one expects or necessarily wants Changi-style movie theatres or butterfly gardens, or Kuala Lumpur-style central gardens. 

Airports are extremely stressful places for a good deal (read: majority) of flyers. Some of us on this forum have the privilege of being frequent flyers, but we must remember that the average American only flies ~1.5 times yearly. The endless queuing, being barked at for no apparent reason at TSA, confusing terminal layouts with poor way-finding signage,  and the endless amount of rules, all really have the ability to take a toll on one's personal psyche. 

What U.S. airports should be are clean, bright, open, and efficient spaces with lots of natural light, accented by cool color tones that will never go out of style (blues, grays, wood tones, or just plain white) and backed by good way-finding signage that allows both frequent and infrequent flyers to move through the terminal space with ease. 

One terminal that I always think back to for some reason in terms of the characteristics I described is SFO Terminal 3.  The terminal is absolutely ancient... older than any part of CLT's terminal structure, but thanks to great design (which was probably quite forward-thinking in the 1970s when it was constructed) that features wide concourses with high ceilings and clean bright walls with lots of natural light, it feels a lot younger than it actually is. 

5396F5F9-4928-456D-86A1-292883B81212.thumb.jpeg.4d4417360df0533a31d6ba394e61b8dc.jpeg

Sadly, the terminal is planned to be completely rebuilt (in a style aligned with the other rebuilt SFO terminals, which is excellent)...I'll be sad to see the nostalgia of this terminal disappear. 

22 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Yes.  Nothing is stopping AA from opening another small one even now, though.

AA’s employees are great-nearly all friendly and helpful- and I take AA because of them.  The planes are nice and the new Admirals Clubs at other airports are also first-rate.  It’s just CLT’s facilities that are the issue.

There are a million things stopping AA from opening another small club at CLT, even if you put cost/money aside. There is literally no space at present. 

Regarding AA, I gave up on them earlier this year and haven’t looked back. UA’s service is like night and day compared to AA, the crews are better, they have a better network, and their frequent flyer program is superior.  Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would go out of their way at this point to fly them unless they lived in a hub-captive market (like CLT) where they had no choice. 

Another frequent flyer I sat next to the other week who also recently switched from AA to UA told me this:

DL is happy to have you fly with them. 

UA is indifferent toward you flying with them. 

AA is absolutely angry that you choose to fly with them. 

I have noticed a drastic decline in AA over the past couple of years (even before the pandemic), and I've often noticed a great deal of their staff acting downright hostile to passengers, for no apparent reason. From a customer service agent screaming at an elderly traveler for not knowing how to use the kiosk to a flight attendant telling a woman who gave herself a paper cut "You should have brought your own band-aids if you needed them…we don't have any first aid supplies on the aircraft." 

I boarded an AA flight in January and the lead flight attendant was standing at the forward door with a giant scowl on his face. I greeted him with "Good morning, how are you" and he rolled his eyes and sarcastically said, "Someone is a little too cheery today." I wish I could get away with treating my external customers like that at my job…

I totally get that customer service is a hard job and understand that crews were subjected to endless abuse during the pandemic when they were forced to play mask police. I sympathize with them 100%. I get that they feel that their employer doesn't always have their back in terms of sick time, contracts, pay, etc...I really do. None of that is an excuse however for treating your actual customers like garbage, however. 

AA's planes are frankly the worst of any major U.S. carrier. The cabins of the ancient A320s are literally falling apart, their domestic fleet (in both cabins) has noticeably less seat padding than UA/DL, and don’t even get me started on the whole IFE situation (which from my understanding, AA corporate now sees as a huge mistake). 

It's honestly quite sad because I know so many awesome AA employees who want what's best for both their customers and the operation.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

What Charlotte lacks is enough common area space. The atrium is simply too small and I've not seen any plans that show an expansion. The plaza addition and seating areas in concourse a and other places have added some dispersed areas but it really feels cramped for such a busy airport. Locals are seeing the vast improvements to the main terminal but for those connecting I can see why the reviews aren't always stellar. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CLT found room to open an AmEx lounge and another lounge within the past few months/years and it could certainly find space for a new Admirals Club.  

- The mezzanine in the main atrium area, which had a temporary Admirals Club recently 

- The former BA lounge space in terminal D

- Any space currently occupied by a store or restaurant, which could be replaced by a lounge (does anyone actually shop at the Brooks Brothers or at the La Brioche Doree)?

• Like 4

To read the comments on CLT airport I would have thought we were in last place in terms of customer satisfaction.  With any place I know there is room for improvement but this JD Powers survey from last fall as the #10 Best Mega large US airports.   We bested such airports as Phoenix, FLL, Seattle, Houston Intercontinental. Toronto, LAX, and others.

Here are the top 5 in this category same as CLT

1. Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport

2. San Francisco International Airport

3. (tie) Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport

3. (tie) John F. Kennedy International Airport (New York City)

5. Harry Reid International Airport (Paradise, Nevada)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2022/09/21/ranked-the-best-and-worst-airports-in-america/?sh=6c30e9537398

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

To read the comments on CLT airport I would have thought we were in last place in terms of customer satisfaction.  With any place I know there is room for improvement but this JD Powers survey from last fall as the #10 Best Mega large US airports.   We bested such airports as Phoenix, FLL, Seattle, Houston Intercontinental. Toronto, LAX, and others.

Here are the top 5 in this category same as CLT

1. Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport

2. San Francisco International Airport

3. (tie) Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport

3. (tie) John F. Kennedy International Airport (New York City)

5. Harry Reid International Airport (Paradise, Nevada)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2022/09/21/ranked-the-best-and-worst-airports-in-america/?sh=6c30e9537398

Not sure about some of the others but PHX is not that great.  The layout is horrible and food options are much worse than CLT

• Like 3

The amex lounge required a 3 story many million dollar addition.  Took years.  The old ba lounge is a food area, maybe it could be converted back, but you would be reducing food options down in d by like half.

I agree on the mezzanine area, but if they're going to build a huge addition upstairs with what is reported to be an enormous lounge, why waste the money on building a short term (temporary) lounge.

I would argue for dropping a few gates in e con and building a smaller lounge there.  Or something near A with the international departures down there and the soon to be additional AA gates in that area.

Who knows what the future holds here, but frankly if you were running an airline that's practically printing money in Charlotte would you disrupt that so you can offer a lounge to a very small contingent of passengers?(most pax are group 9 non business passengers)

I wouldn't.  I would just wait for the additions that are planned and keep improving slowly. 

Speaking of additions the new taxiways and runway construction seems to be full speed ahead recently.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Not sure about some of the others but PHX is not that great.  The layout is horrible and food options are much worse than CLT

I will never forget the time I landed at PHX at 10 am one summer day and they said "Welcome to Phoenix the temperature is 100 degrees!"  I do remember my luggage being delivered out very quickly much quicker than CLT.  

• Like 4

That’s the north end taxiway…don’t think the 4th runway has started construction yet as the airport has just recently got the Environmental Assessment approved. Construction of that runway is probably another 5 or so years away.
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

The amex lounge required a 3 story many million dollar addition.  Took years.  The old ba lounge is a food area, maybe it could be converted back, but you would be reducing food options down in d by like half.

I agree on the mezzanine area, but if they're going to build a huge addition upstairs with what is reported to be an enormous lounge, why waste the money on building a short term (temporary) lounge.

I would argue for dropping a few gates in e con and building a smaller lounge there.  Or something near A with the international departures down there and the soon to be additional AA gates in that area.

Who knows what the future holds here, but frankly if you were running an airline that's practically printing money in Charlotte would you disrupt that so you can offer a lounge to a very small contingent of passengers?(most pax are group 9 non business passengers)

I wouldn't.  I would just wait for the additions that are planned and keep improving slowly. 

Speaking of additions the new taxiways and runway construction seems to be full speed ahead recently.  

I wouldn’t view passengers with lounge access as a “small contingent”.

Basically anyone with an AA credit card can get lounge access.  That’s a lot of people.

And if AmEx views spending on lounges as worthwhile for its credit card business, surely Citibank and Barclays would at least be aware that lounge access is something that might be worth investing in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Basically anyone with an AA credit card can get lounge access.  That’s a lot of people.

And if AmEx views spending on lounges as worthwhile for its credit card business, surely Citibank and Barclays would at least be aware that lounge access is something that might be worth investing in.

Um no, not basically anyone with an AA credit card can get lounge access. 

There are currently 9 co-branded cards AA offers with Citi and Barclays, only one of which offers an Admirals Club membership, the Citi AAdvantage Executive Mastercard. The number of people (even amongst those who travel) who have an appetite to spend $450 on a credit card annual fee that has poor earning + redemption benefits (non-co-branded cards are usually far superior) is smaller than one would think.

Amex caters to an entirely different demographic than Citi/Barclays do. 

If AA felt that there was a need for another club in Charlotte, they would have built one long ago. 

Really grasping at straws here. 

• Like 3