Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

On 4/28/2023 at 12:18 PM, xapostrophe said:

All of this was in the destination CLT website but it seems it's all gone  sadly.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:07 PM, Reverie39 said:

Last I heard there were long term plans for an island terminal to be built south of the current concourses. I imagine that is decades in the future though.

Destination CLT site still exists. It shows the concourse B and C extensions, but they no longer have any timeline associated with them. The last published document I remember seeing actually showing the satellite concourse is the Airport Commercial Development Strategy which is several years old now and which oddly doesn't show the concourse B and C extensions. The Environmental Assessment (EA) from 2021 for the fourth parallel runway and associated capacity expansion plans does show the concourse B and C extensions and shows ramp and APM work that would support a future satellite concourse. So it appears the concourse is still planned but is at minimum beyond the 2028 timeline covered by this EA.

Edited by TCLT
updated EA appendix link

This was the master plan a couple years back:

image.thumb.png.477eb7fe6b962ef39354f6f59e16150b.png

If one does a search on this forum using the keywords "hammerhead" (for the hammerhead satellite terminal) or "stinger" (for the extensions onto the B/C concourses) you can find a cornucopia of posts about the extensions.   

On 4/26/2023 at 1:07 AM, CltFlyer said:

Perhaps this will be the next route to go year round?  It is the most logical given the One World presence in Dublin with Aer Lingus.

FWIW, I would wager that the extension is more about bringing Americans to Ireland than connections in Dublin. 

Aer Lingus' (which isn't a One World member) hub in Dublin is tiny and mostly built around flights to/from the UK.  Their flights from Dublin to continental Europe aren't timed for transatlantic connections (outside of a few exceptions)...their first bank of European departures leaves just as flights from the US arrive and the second bank of departures doesn't leave until 3 PM local time...so someone connecting from the US would have a nice eight-hour layover.  The same principle applies in the inverse, flights from continental Europe to Dublin often arrive after flights to the US have already departed. 

Some cities, even somewhat major ones, like Prague, aren't even served daily. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From Ledger:

“So far, the city council has approved about $165 million in spending for the runway. It’s expected to open in 2027. Gentry said the fourth runway would help reduce delays, allowing planes to get more quickly to airport gates and reduce the use of fuel and airline crew time.”

Well, now it’s started.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2023 at 10:59 AM, LKN704 said:

This was the master plan a couple years back:

image.thumb.png.477eb7fe6b962ef39354f6f59e16150b.png

Of the gates shown in this map, which ones now exist or will soon exist? Obviously the island terminal is not a thing yet, but not sure what else is in the immediate plans for the future? The main terminal has several more gates in this diagram than I currently see on Google Earth, though I'm not sure how old that imagery is. And while I have been through the airport several times I don't have a great mental picture of it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, videtur quam contuor said:

I will need the push chair and attendant to reach those gates. Not ashamed.

If my calculations are correct using the My Maps feature on Google, the walk from Phase II to the Landside Terminal will be approximately 2,420 feet or around .45 miles. Definitely a bit of a stroll. 

8 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

If my calculations are correct using the My Maps feature on Google, the walk from Phase II to the Landside Terminal will be approximately 2,420 feet or around .45 miles. Definitely a bit of a stroll. 

there are several sets of moving sidewalks in between though to make it easier.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

I couldn't believe how far of a walk I had to make through CLT to catch my flight to San Juan.  The airline I was flying had their name at Zone A so I entered there, only to find that the sole open security checkpoint was past Zone E.  Made the walk and got through security, then had to turn and walk all the way back and around and up to gate A29.  Just under 3/4 of a mile by my rough estimate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1