Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

On 3/18/2023 at 12:16 PM, LKN704 said:

Delta has confirmed to the Charlotte Ledger that they will be opening a Sky Club in Charlotte:

“Separately, Delta Air Lines confirmed to The Ledger this week that it is looking into the possibility of a lounge at Charlotte: “Delta Sky Club is currently exploring expansion to Charlotte Douglas International Airport,” a Delta spokeswoman told us.“

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/p/67dd2aa3-a351-4846-9a1e-56bae7aa761b

It says “possibility” but airlines usually don’t make public statements like that unless it was pretty much a done deal. 

A request for building permit for a Delta Sky Lounge was filed this week....so looks like this is moving forward.

• Like 4

The US Dept of Transportation awarded subsidies to smaller airports throughout the country to support airline flights in their respective cities.  Charlotte-Douglas's flights to Monroe LA and Fargo ND is mentioned.  Not sure if these are new flights or current flights that will continue due federal support.  Lynchburg VA flights will continue apparently.

https://simpleflying.com/us-dot-small-community-air-service-development-2023/

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, rancenc said:

The US Dept of Transportation awarded subsidies to smaller airports throughout the country to support airline flights in their respective cities.  Charlotte-Douglas's flights to Monroe LA and Fargo ND is mentioned.  Not sure if these are new flights or current flights that will continue due federal support.  Lynchburg VA flights will continue apparently.

https://simpleflying.com/us-dot-small-community-air-service-development-2023/

Monroe LA I can understand but Fargo to Charlotte?  Maybe they already have service to Chicago I assume they would and they are looking for eastern connections and southeast and Caribbbean?  

• Like 2

I have a question for those in the know: how many gates are currently being added with expansion at CLT?

CLT has 115 gates right now which ranks it 15th in the US for number of gates by my research via Wikipedia. PHX has 117 and SFO is tied with CLT at 115. It seems like CLT needs at least another 10 gates imo. Is that happening? 

20 US airports ranked by number of gates:

ORD 213

ATL 192

DEN 179

DFW 174

LAX 150

MSP 131

IAH 131

MIA 131

JFK 130

DTW 129

PHL 126

EWR 125

IAD 123

PHX 117

CLT 115

SFO 115

LAS 108

BOS 106

SEA 103

MCO 93

• Like 4

On 10/6/2023 at 7:16 PM, Crucial_Infra said:

I have a question for those in the know: how many gates are currently being added with expansion at CLT?

CLT has 115 gates right now which ranks it 15th in the US for number of gates by my research via Wikipedia. PHX has 117 and SFO is tied with CLT at 115. It seems like CLT needs at least another 10 gates imo. Is that happening? 

20 US airports ranked by number of gates:

ORD 213

ATL 192

DEN 179

DFW 174

LAX 150

MSP 131

IAH 131

MIA 131

JFK 130

DTW 129

PHL 126

EWR 125

IAD 123

PHX 117

CLT 115

SFO 115

LAS 108

BOS 106

SEA 103

MCO 93

Wow, I would never have guessed that MSP had that many gates. 

• Like 2

I'm very interested to see how CLT-YVR performs. US attempted PHL-YVR several years ago but it only lasted one season. There's an insane amount of Alaskan cruise traffic into/out of YVR in the summer months that tends to be high-yielding, so it should theoretically work.

Vancouver is one of the strangest cities in North America - and I mean that in a good way. I can't think of another city in North America where you can relax on a palm tree-lined beach and see hints of snow-capped mountains in the background. With its excellent transit system and airport with far-flung flights to exotic destinations, it feels like a big city but in reality, Metro Vancouver is smaller than the Charlotte CSA, and outside of the great nature - it is actually a very boring city. Still, it's definitely well worth a visit. 

Weird how it is hidden so deep in the PR - which is largely LGA adjacent. Most of those *new* LGA routes are old AA routes that were ended as part of the failed jetBlue alliance. Nice to see Hyannisport regain commercial service by a U.S. network carrier - US used to fly there back in the day. 

• Like 3

Cruised to Hawaii from Vancouver last year and flew non stop to Seattle and had a hire car waiting at baggage in Seatac to go straight to the Vancouver hotel.*  Was less time and cost than for an air transfer+cab to hotel. Previously went United to Chicago and then to VanCity.

*travel agent made arrangements.

edit: It is indeed an unusual and interesting place to visit. We made time to enjoy the city each time.

Los Angeles on a clear day offers beach and view of Mt San Antonio with snow.

Edited by videtur quam contuor

2 hours ago, videtur quam contuor said:

Cruised to Hawaii from Vancouver last year and flew non stop to Seattle and had a hire car waiting at baggage in Seatac to go straight to the Vancouver hotel.*  Was less time and cost than for an air transfer+cab to hotel. Previously went United to Chicago and then to VanCity.

*travel agent made arrangements.

edit: It is indeed an unusual and interesting place to visit. We made time to enjoy the city each time.

Los Angeles on a clear day offers beach and view of Mt San Antonio with snow.

I meant to say in the summer - I don’t think we will see Mount Baldy or Mount San Antonio with snow in the summer time anytime soon :tw_wink:

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Southern California might be the only other area where you have the palm trees + snow juxtaposition in winter. Mountains are definitely closer in Vancouver though!Huntington Beach Winter Photograph by Kelley King - Fine Art America

American is going to have the only hub in the Southeast with nonstop service to Vancouver. Delta doesn't have a flight from Atlanta. United would be the closest competitor being able to connect passengers via Dulles on Air Canada, but United is weak in many cities in the South for frequency, ease of connecting, et.

Delta’s partner WestJet flies ATL-YVR. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Haha 1

A little bit more info on the flight.

It will operate June 5th through September 3rd.  A very typical "season" for Vancouver flights.

The flight will leave CLT at 6:25pm arriving into YVR at 9:15pm.  The return flight will leave YVR at 10:10pm arriving back into CLT the following morning at 6:27am.  A very typical schedule for "secondary" west coast flights from CLT.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/10/12/american-airlines-aa-clt-airport-vancouver-canada.html

• Like 2

Some things I noticed last night when flying out last night:

• They installed extra, new LED lighting in the atrium. The atrium might have been a little dim before, but it is extremely bright now. They also installed new overhead way-finding pendant signs in the atrium. It kind of makes the space look busy, but it was needed. 
  • I wonder what the plan is for the A connector that takes you from the atrium to A/A North. It's just a series of moving walkways surrounded by what looks like temporary walls. I'm not sure if they planned to install some sort of public art or put in windows but it feels very claustrophobic. 
  • The first series of moving walkways on the A North connector is still surrounded by temporary walls - and has been for the entire summer. I can't imagine it is a simply moving walkway repair (because they would just block off the walkways if so) so I can't figure out what is going on.

image.thumb.png.2ca15e8863424187ab8ea27d3ce51c1d.png

• United's growth at CLT as part of the United Next program is pretty incredible - it's impressive how much they have grown. There were three United 737s boarding at once when I landed from IAD the other day. The agent at the Amex Centurion Lounge said that United was looking into building a club on A - but I can't see it. United doesn't have its own employees in Charlotte (other than a station manager - it's a contract station) and I believe clubs are operated by internal United employees. Charlotte wasn't one of the stations that United announced it would insource (but Raleigh was - which does now have a United Club) last month, so I can't see it. 

55 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Some things I noticed last night when flying out last night:

• They installed extra, new LED lighting in the atrium. The atrium might have been a little dim before, but it is extremely bright now. They also installed new overhead way-finding pendant signs in the atrium. It kind of makes the space look busy, but it was needed. 
  • I wonder what the plan is for the A connector that takes you from the atrium to A/A North. It's just a series of moving walkways surrounded by what looks like temporary walls. I'm not sure if they planned to install some sort of public art or put in windows but it feels very claustrophobic. 
  • The first series of moving walkways on the A North connector is still surrounded by temporary walls - and has been for the entire summer. I can't imagine it is a simply moving walkway repair (because they would just block off the walkways if so) so I can't figure out what is going on.

image.thumb.png.2ca15e8863424187ab8ea27d3ce51c1d.png

• United's growth at CLT as part of the United Next program is pretty incredible - it's impressive how much they have grown. There were three United 737s boarding at once when I landed from IAD the other day. The agent at the Amex Centurion Lounge said that United was looking into building a club on A - but I can't see it. United doesn't have its own employees in Charlotte (other than a station manager - it's a contract station) and I believe clubs are operated by internal United employees. Charlotte wasn't one of the stations that United announced it would insource (but Raleigh was - which does now have a United Club) last month, so I can't see it. 

The beginning of the A North concourse did not have moving sidewalks.  That will be an addition that wasn't there when it opened.  A welcomed one.

• Like 4

The moving sidewalks are not wide enough for somebody to stand on the left and walk on the right comfortably anyhow OR people don't follow etiquette and they block the whole thing. There's a 50/50 chance as you enter a moving walkway that it will end up being way slower than not being on the walkway while somebody just stands there like it is a ride or they walk super slow. I do understand for some of the elderly or out of shape people that are just standing there, it gives them a break from moving their legs, and with the state of health in this country being at an airport is sometimes the furthest somebody walks in one day all year and they are out of breath. 

See this video as an example from ATL.... so typical at airports across this country. Look at the people on the moving walkway on the left side going towards the camera... they are just standing there completely unaware they are blocking everybody behind them like the walkway is a ride. In addition, whoever filmed this is just standing there blocking people on their side. 

Unless I can see everybody on the sidewalk is already walking, I often avoid them in fear of getting trapped by the people that just stand there. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 4

On 10/13/2023 at 3:10 PM, CLT2014 said:

The moving sidewalks are not wide enough for somebody to stand on the left and walk on the right comfortably anyhow OR people don't follow etiquette and they block the whole thing. There's a 50/50 chance as you enter a moving walkway that it will end up being way slower than not being on the walkway while somebody just stands there like it is a ride or they walk super slow. I do understand for some of the elderly or out of shape people that are just standing there, it gives them a break from moving their legs, and with the state of health in this country being at an airport is sometimes the furthest somebody walks in one day all year and they are out of breath. 

See this video as an example from ATL.... so typical at airports across this country. Look at the people on the moving walkway on the left side going towards the camera... they are just standing there completely unaware they are blocking everybody behind them like the walkway is a ride. In addition, whoever filmed this is just standing there blocking people on their side. 

Unless I can see everybody on the sidewalk is already walking, I often avoid them in fear of getting trapped by the people that just stand there. 

Yep, many treat them like horizontal escalators.

• Like 1