Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

16 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Ah.   Yeah, those two tent or whatever houses have seen some good HHN action over the years...  What a great event that is...

Universal's got land.  They built that employee parking deck  (along Turkey Lake Rd.) several years back and expanded it but left all that surface parking still...

Which makes turning the land along Vineland into apartments completely baffling.

In 2010 a part of the employee lot was turned into the Regatta at Universal apartments, and at the same time they put a general office building fronting Turkey Lake.  By 2014, they're building a garage in the employee lot to make up for the spaces they lost (approx when Diagone Alley got built)

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

In 2010 a part of the employee lot was turned into the Regatta at Universal apartments, and at the same time they put a general office building fronting Turkey Lake.  By 2014, they're building a garage in the employee lot to make up for the spaces they lost (approx when Diagone Alley got built)

Forgot about that...never understood that...

Universal giving away the land for those apartments was always a headscratcher. I would not want to live in those, at least not during the Fall, as they're directly behind the open-air theater that's used for shows during HHN.  The residents are just lucky it goes unused the rest of the year. 

Edited by F-L-A

3 hours ago, F-L-A said:

Universal giving away the land for those apartments was always a headscratcher. I would not want to live in those, at least not during the Fall, as they're directly behind the open-air theater that's used for shows during HHN.  The residents are just lucky it goes unused the rest of the year. 

Actually, it makes sense.  I think it was done when it was Vivendi Universal, before Comcast saw the moneymaker that the theme parks were and could become...

23 minutes ago, codypet said:

Was that around the time they sold the land for Epic Universe?  

my memory was two things: 1)  OIA had that new south terminal proposal that was nixed because of 9-11, and 2)  Universal had that land where they were going to build two theme parks and after 9-11, they "sold" land to OCCC or Orange Co with restrictions where they could build convention space but not hotels (directly).  Hence, the N/S Bldg was built on part of that land and if I recall it was built around 2002-03 around the same time as Millennia Mall, who just had their 20th anniversary.  Around that time or shortly after that, between 2003 and 2008 I think, because Harry Potter opened in 2009 and that was the Comcast project.  

Take it with a grain of salt, folks, but you heard it here first: by December, when Conrad Evermore opens, Orlando will be the only city in Florida with a Conrad and a Waldorf.  The Conrad at Espirito Santo in Miami was bought and made into an AKA brand...and the new Waldorf tower development won't open for two years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Damn.  I would have done this.  I'm a passholder and I love me some Iron Gwazi.

Not a whole lot of news on the new Tobaggin Coaster at SeaWorld.

I haven't even heard of that ride yet...wow...

SeaWorld just tried purchasing Cedar Fair.  Busch need to keep building coasters and some indoor air conditioned areas...  they have to keep it up and build upon their event schedule.

23 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I haven't even heard of that ride yet...wow...

SeaWorld just tried purchasing Cedar Fair.  Busch need to keep building coasters and some indoor air conditioned areas...  they have to keep it up and build upon their event schedule.

Busch just demoed Sand Serpent and a good chunk of the kiddie land for a new coaster.  Which was sad for many fans because Sand Serpent still had life in it, and Scorpion has been having issues for years.  Anticipation was that it would be moved along with Desert Runners (which was toddler codypet's favorite ride) , but they were indeed demoed.   Along with the already gone pirate ship,  and the Busch Flyers (which has 2 clones in the park already).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ragerunner said:

2 weeks to go, let the count down begin. Dueling Dragon anyone?

I saw the vid.  so, what's the concept of dueling dragons?  they say it may split into two paths, but what's the subject matter IP?  is it a movie or conceptual?  Do we know?

On 8/18/2023 at 4:03 PM, jrs2 said:

I saw the vid.  so, what's the concept of dueling dragons?  they say it may split into two paths, but what's the subject matter IP?  is it a movie or conceptual?  Do we know?

It's not an IP, it's Islands of Adventure's former roller coasters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Challenge

The house may split into two paths because that's what the coasters' queue did when you had to choose which one you wanted to ride. 

Edited by F-L-A
  • Like 1

Not sure where to put this, but hilarious that the Demings came out and is supporting only two things to use the TDT on. Surprise surprise...... convention center.....what a freaking money pit. I fail to see the return on investment at this point with never ended expansions. Second, citrus bowl renovation without a roof. Without the roof, what the hell is the point? It's not like you are gonna attract the CFP, Superbowl, or an NFL team. 

Funny thing is, these are the two entities that have the most money to spend on lobbyists. Florida citrus sports and the I drive hotel lobby. 

On 8/19/2023 at 7:43 PM, F-L-A said:

It's not an IP, it's Islands of Adventure's former roller coasters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Challenge

The house may split into two paths because that's what the coasters' queue did when you had to choose which one you wanted to ride. 

I'm still not gettin' it.  I knew about the Dueling Dragons and all...but is it just a house with dragon theme with two paths?  thx.