Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

Good to hear about the block 7 redevelopment and the ped bridge and welcome to the group Camberne. As far as redeveloping the old Hannaford, it would be a bit difficult to have this area cohesive with the rest since it is across the street and only a small plot. Well, it is difficult to see City Walk not having that massive parking lot that is there now but I guess if it is all redeveloped correctly it could turn out ok.

So, any idea when Block 7 will be redeveloped?

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear about the block 7 redevelopment and the ped bridge and welcome to the group Camberne. As far as redeveloping the old Hannaford, it would be a bit difficult to have this area cohesive with the rest since it is across the street and only a small plot. Well, it is difficult to see City Walk not having that massive parking lot that is there now but I guess if it is all redeveloped correctly it could turn out ok.

So, any idea when Block 7 will be redeveloped?

Summer of 2006, perhaps.

So, to redevelop the old Hannaford site plus the old Builders Square/HQ site, they would have to demolish it first, it could take about a week. CityWalk is going up on the old Builders Square/HQ/Hannaford site, so we will have to wait and see about the restaurants that are on the lot facing VB Blvd (Fuddruckers, etc.). Pizza Hut is in the process of renovating to look like TC as people have stated.

The only problems with putting up a ped. bridge from Pembroke Mall to TC is that there are:

- Intersection that is in the middle of Pembroke Mall and VB Blvd. I think to connect the bridge, they perhaps would have to renovate the food court, yet again. I can see it going up to perhaps the second/third floor of the office tower. The only other option might be to remove the intersection so the traffic can move around smoother.

- Restaurants in the mall area facing VB Blvd (new ones like Smokey Bones and Macaroni Grill). How to put up the bridge w/o conflicting with the restaurants. It could perhaps be on the site of the old gas station that's left there. We will have to wait and see.

I believe it was in Forbes, there was an article discussing Sears Holdings and what Lampert plans to do with it. The stock has been languishing and the company is losing sales. Rumors are circulating that instead of trying to improve product mix to boost sales, Lampert wants push the stock price lower so that his hedge fund can take Sears private. Then he will start selling Sears' $10 billion worth of property holdings to lease the buildings instead of owning them. This is important when it comes to Pembroke Mall. The mall owners say they have no intention of tearing it down. But the primary reason is that Sears owns the 15 acres on which it sits. You can't redevelop a property when a large chunk of it will remain in the 1960's. If Sears goes private and the mall owners acquire the Sears land, I would expect a redevelopment plan to come out shortly thereafter. The recent renovation and restaurant construction is to eek out as much profit from the land as they can in its present state.

I've been trying to get a timeline for Block 7, but my contact over at TC that I've been dealing with isn't handling that one block of the project. The chap that he's referred me to hasn't quite been as cooperative with returning calls. But, like I said, my contact stated that the Pedestrian Bridge IS included in the plans for Block 7. I'll certainly come back to report once I talk to the right person.

Question for you guys... does anyone know with any degree of certainty if the architect who designed Granby Towers is also doing the Cornerstone Development project (where the Wedgewood Trailer Park was off of 264)? I thought that I saw their name somewhere in the mix, but also with a local (VA) architect, maybe to be the architect of record to get it through all the permitting.

Also, does anyone know what the heck is being built at the intersection of Princess Anne Rd & Salem Rd? They've started utility work and grading for SOMEthing out there, but I haven't seen anything on it.

I am glad the ped bridge is going forward but still hope they can also build one to cross the Blvd. Crossing there is not the most fun thing I have ever done lol.

I was not aware the architect for Granby may be the same one for Cornerstone.. speaking of Cornerstone what is going on? I haven't heard anything in a good while about that project.

Was not aware of something being built at PA and Salem. Will have to check that out soon.

The old grocery site is not and will not be part of the City Walk project. I'm just dying to know what's going to happen with that grocery store!!

Hmm... I'm starting to believe that there will be no redevelopment of that particular piece of land beyond a change in tenants. I'd be willing to bet that this will be the future whole foods location. Happy that whole foods is coming because I love that store, disappointed that it appears there will be a giant wedge between development at TC and the City Walk project. In order for DT Virginia Beach to take off we need contiuous urban development, not just a spot here and a spot there.

Hmm... I'm starting to believe that there will be no redevelopment of that particular piece of land beyond a change in tenants. I'd be willing to bet that this will be the future whole foods location. Happy that whole foods is coming because I love that store, disappointed that it appears there will be a giant wedge between development at TC and the City Walk project. In order for DT Virginia Beach to take off we need contiuous urban development, not just a spot here and a spot there.

Its also possible that they is another project in the works to join the two and its in the very early stages. I have faith that the city is pushing for the two to be joined. I wouldn't give up hope just yet! :good:

I heard a major grocery chain is looking at that site.

I was still put off a bit on the City Walk project... they're still not ready to commit publicly to the design team on this and give specific scope details. They stated that the company doing the preliminary masterplanning and sketches is not necessarily who they are going to use for the construction documents. I was told that they are still working with Office Max to determine whether they are going to be incorporated into the new project or if they will relocate. The old grocery site is not and will not be part of the City Walk project. I'm just dying to know what's going to happen with that grocery store!!

From all I gather everything is still in the early stages of development and so very little has probably been solidified. I do hope Office Max will rebuild in that area as they are the only office supply store in Pembroke - and only 3rd in the whole city. I would hope they would want to stay in the area due to new residents and businesses that are slated to come to that immediate area.

Drove by the 9th and 10th Streets today while going to work. They have recently demolished the old Dunes hotel @ Atlantic Avenue.

Is it a sign that the new Marriott will be going up there or will it be a park? There's a pile driver at the site. :unsure:

afraid it's not for Marriott...it was announced in the paper awhile back that they'll be building a SpringHill hotel/condo on that site. i had taken some pics of the rubble a couple weeks ago, it's in the photos thread. i think i'm thinking of the same place anyway.

afraid it's not for Marriott...it was announced in the paper awhile back that they'll be building a SpringHill hotel/condo on that site. i had taken some pics of the rubble a couple weeks ago, it's in the photos thread. i think i'm thinking of the same place anyway.

Yes, that is for springhill suites, a horribly underwhelming project.

• 3 weeks later...

I received an email today about Cornerstone, the development which will be built where Wedgewood mobile home park was located.

Cornerstone/Wedgewood is moving ahead. They just filed their site plan. Site plans take three to six months to get approved. They will probably start clearing the land sometime this week.

Rus- Near Regent Univ.? I see that two times a week driving down I-64. Looks like the whole steel frame is up. There is a long crane truck on site. Sorry, I don't know any technical names for these construction vehicles.

Metalman

Yes, that is the second Amerigroup building. It would have been nice for them to be at the TC but maybe that new exit on the interstate will help them out then.

• 3 weeks later...

Investors pitch condos for Virginia beach Oceanfront

A team of investors wants to replace the Cherry Motel and the Seashore Cottages on 29th Street with 89 high-end condominiums. The proposal goes before the commission for approval on March 8 and would need to be approved by City Council at a later date.
The proposed 29 Ocean is bordered in part by Arctic Avenue and the area is already teeming with construction activity. The Hampton Roads Housing Co. and Ainslie-Widener of Virginia Beach are building the Old Beach Village complex between Arctic Avenue, 30th Street and Baltic Avenue. It is comprised of two sections, flats and lofts, and the prices range from $250,000 to $850,000.

The Cherry Motel has been closed down for awhile now and the Ocean Palms Motel is up for sale...Ocean Palms sits right next to the Cherry on 30th & Arctic. Hopefully they'll merge w/ or mirror what's been going on across the street with the new condos. With the 30th St improvements that area will become a gem rather than the eyesore that it was with vacant lots and trashy no-tell motels.

On Wesleyan Drive Dragas builders are building a new community so I decided to take a few pics. Yeah, it is pretty suburban in nature but at least the houses are close to the street and the streets are somewhat narrow. Looking at the map almost dead center you will see the words Haywood Road and that large parcel just above the name is the land being developed. There are quite a few communities being developed but unfortunately I got the different style houses from the different communites mixed up. :wacko:

DSC02829.jpg

DSC02830.jpg

DSC02831.jpg

DSC02832.jpg

DSC02833.jpg

DSC02834.jpg

DSC02835.jpg

DSC02836.jpg

DSC02837.jpg

DSC02838.jpg

DSC02839.jpg

DSC02840.jpg

DSC02841.jpg

DSC02843.jpg

DSC02844.jpg

DSC02845.jpg

DSC02846.jpg

DSC02847.jpg

DSC02848.jpg

There are some custom HUGE houses in the back that I didn't get pics of but they are gargantuan in size. :shok: