Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

That is sad imo. Va Beach is a young city but the few old houses we have are being torn down to make way for more new ones but I guess this is what happens when land is scarce and highly valued. It would be interesting to see a picture of this plantation house.

Edited by guynvb

I doubt this is or will become a "major" development in vabeach, but I figured I would pass on the news anyway...I just received an email from home letting me know that the Tugwell house (an old plantation home, who's grounds was developed for my neighborhood, Wesleyan Chase) has just been sold to make way for a gated, high-end condominium development. I mention this, because currently there's another gated community under construction just down the road from there, next to Bayside Highschool. I'm hoping these new neighborhoods will help clean up that area, such as places like "Mattress Discounters Plaza" which is little more than an eyesore.

i'm a little sad to see this great house be torn down, but you know...progress.

I went by there last Sunday and seen the construction. I was wondering what they were going to build there.

Dense, highrise developments in waiting for the Oceanfront. That is unless BRAC has its way.

In some ways, Taylor and his team reflect the changing nature of Beach development. About 30 developers, some new faces for the Beach, have approached the city during the past nine months with plans for development at the Oceanfront that would require zoning changes, said Stephen White, planning coordinator for the city.

Some of these developers have plans to leverage the resort

Dense, highrise developments in waiting for the Oceanfront. That is unless BRAC has its way.

In some ways, Taylor and his team reflect the changing nature of Beach development. About 30 developers, some new faces for the Beach, have approached the city during the past nine months with plans for development at the Oceanfront that would require zoning changes, said Stephen White, planning coordinator for the city.

Some of these developers have plans to leverage the resort ’s appeal as a place to live, work and have fun. They plan multistory complexes, with a mixture of commercial, residential and office space.

I honestly think that VA Beach's future lies with its BEACH and not with the Navy. Hopefully they can redevelop the Oceanfront much to the extent that DT Norfolk has been done and after we get the official word that Oceana is closing, add a few high rise apartments down there as well.

Edited by JPN0731

I honestly think that VA Beach's future lies with its BEACH and not with the Navy. Hopefully they can redevelop the Oceanfront much to the extent that DT Norfolk has been done and after we get the official word that Oceana is closing, add a few high rise apartments down there as well.

I agree completely. A large part of VB's decision-making process on Oceana will likely center around proposed developments stifled by complying with BRAC "recommendations" which require future compliance with AICUZ. Complying with AICUZ will basically end major developments along most of the resort strip. If I remember the city stats correctly, tourism has over taken Oceana as VB's largest industry. To be fair, the militarty and not Oceana should be used for industry comparison. However, the focus is which is more important to VB: the Oceanfront or Oceana? Oceana is stagnant while tourism has much growth potential with new markets for upscale hotels/shopping and condos. Tourism also generates business and property taxes which Oceana does not. I feel a growth in tourism can fill the void left by closing Oceana and then some. The net tax revenue growth could be used to lower business taxes thereby making VB more attractive to businesses. This is in turn would bring in higher-paying jobs lost by Oceana's closing (since tourism is a low-wage industry while Oceana's payroll and number of personnel produce an average income of $50,000). Luckily, VB is no Ocean City, Myrtle Beach, or Daytona as it is more than just a resort town. Still, its future lies with tourism.

Edited by hoobo

I may be a little off but I believe last I heard tourism brings in $785 million a year while Oceana brings in $1.2 billion.

To be pretty blunt here, the Oceanfront is tacky and dated. If they can rake in that much money from tourism now, a major facelift woud bring in more tourism and even better: more residents who stay year-round. If East Ocean View is a prime destination now, imagine something like Port Warwick going up in place of all those parking lots down there. Live, shop, work and all less than 6 blocks to the Atlantic Ocean? That is a no-brainer.

I think the city realizes the Oceanfront does have its areas that look tacky and such but they are hard at work trying to improve that area. For instance the 31st street Hilton and the Ocean Club which is just west of that. Also, there are some very nice time resorts built just a few years ago. And the plan the city has to redevelop the areas near the convention center is just awesome but are now on hold b/c of the whole Oceana fiasco.

Some of these developers have plans to leverage the resort

You may have been priced out of new construction, but the average home price in HR is about $200,000, which means there are plenty of homes below that. And not all are in the ghetto, as I'm sure you'd claim.

Granted, I'm not a fan of overpriced condos that most likely will be used as investment properties and rented out to tourists, but that's the market. As for the bubble, I'm not convinced that it exists in HR. HR home prices have finally caught up with prices in Richmond, Charlotte, and Raleigh. Per capita income in HR is not that much below those cities, maybe 5% less. There was no justification for home prices being 30% lower. Price appreciation in the three other metro areas has been modest. Don't forget that HR is a coastal area meaning it should be in higher demand. I think HR prices will surpass the other three metro areas and then stablize. They may deflate a little, but not burst unless Oceana closes. Substantial drops in home prices are usually associated with major economic downturn or collapse like military downsizing or industry collapse (like aerospace in LA and tech in Silicon Valley).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that mystery hotel that was under construction next to Ocean Beach Club is now complete. I must say that this building is bland even by oceanfront standards. I am quite disappointed. By contrast, the completely finished and open OBC is one of the most stunning buildings i've seen on the oceanfront yet. They did a very good job with it and that bluish-green glass really makes the structure stand out.

INSIDER NEWS

Amerigroup to proceed with support center

Inside Business - Hampton Roads

Monday October 10, 2005

Despite a depressed earnings forecast and pending lawsuits, Amerigroup Corp. is proceeding with its $56 million national operations center near Regent University on Indian River Road.

Kent Jenkins Jr., spokesperson for Amerigroup, said late last week that his company has signed a lease for a second 106,000-square-foot office building to be delivered by late 2006. Details of the lease were not available. Amerigroup leases all of its facilities, including those in other states.

article

INSIDER NEWS

Amerigroup to proceed with support center

Inside Business - Hampton Roads

Monday October 10, 2005

Despite a depressed earnings forecast and pending lawsuits, Amerigroup Corp. is proceeding with its $56 million national operations center near Regent University on Indian River Road.

Kent Jenkins Jr., spokesperson for Amerigroup, said late last week that his company has signed a lease for a second 106,000-square-foot office building to be delivered by late 2006. Details of the lease were not available. Amerigroup leases all of its facilities, including those in other states.

article

It sure would be nice if they moved to towncenter.

Exactly. It really makes me wonder who divaris has lined up for the 2nd tower.

It could even be prospective b/c he stated by the time that tower is built the area would be ripe for another one. All that would mean though is more relocations from other areas in the region rather than new businesses to the area.

Gone in nothing flat

Oceanfront plus spectacular views equal unparalleled sales

Within two hours, 95 condominiums were sold, reinforcing the adage that location is everything, especially with moonrises and sunsets over the water and a wildlife preserve a few steps from your front door.

And five days after that Sunday, Oct. 2, sales event, which included a barbecue and tours attended by 150 interested buyers, another six units of the 149 units available for sale were under contract.

Story

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Planning Commission to hold workshop on Resort area zoning.

Pay close attention to this one guys. This will pertain to the future of all the development at the oceanfront, including plans to urbanize the 19th street corridor. Bottom line, this will determine whether the oceanfront remains a collection of rather subpar hotels orwhether we can experience something truly great and extend the North end revitalization efforts (read OBC, Hilton) to include the entire area. The future of height limits in that region may also be determined (though not specifically mentioned, you can't discuss zoning without discussing that).

Edited by vdogg