Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

I really want to see the Pembroke office park and land around it to get a more urban street grid and become more of an urban section of the city.

So has anyone actually seen any images of what the building could look like or who they might be picking for an architect?

I don't think too much info has been released on it yet. Probably will find something in another 6 months

So has anyone actually seen any images of what the building could look like or who they might be picking for an architect?

Yes, I have seen what the building looks like. If the design has not changed over the past 8 months it will be structure of some modern, architectural value. :thumbsup:

I don't think too much info has been released on it yet. Probably will find something in another 6 months

You will know more, including possible renderings, by Jan 5th.

Edited by vdogg

Yes, I have seen what the building looks like. If the design has not changed over the past 8 months it will be structure of some modern, architectural value. You will know more, including possible renderings, by Jan 5th.

Sounds exciting!! We have so much construction waiting to happen everywhere and I can't wait to see the end result.

you know if they do a street grid for the old HQ site and surrounding areas as well as doing a street grid to the Pembroke Office Park, and doing a bit of urban renovations to the Pembroke Mall and parking lot, VB would have a serious downtown going on. Something I use to dream about and figured would never happen could actually happen.

I know this will upset Norfolk fans, but with VB moving in this direction they could easily end up with a larger and stronger downtown than Norfolk could ever imagine. Norfolk's character and class will always be better, but VB will probably take over as the city center for the region with Norfolk playing the strong second.

you know if they do a street grid for the old HQ site and surrounding areas as well as doing a street grid to the Pembroke Office Park, and doing a bit of urban renovations to the Pembroke Mall and parking lot, VB would have a serious downtown going on. Something I use to dream about and figured would never happen could actually happen.

I know this will upset Norfolk fans, but with VB moving in this direction they could easily end up with a larger and stronger downtown than Norfolk could ever imagine. Norfolk's character and class will always be better, but VB will probably take over as the city center for the region with Norfolk playing the strong second.

I think at some point Pembroke Mall will have a parking garage in the back for the new Target. They had discussed doing this some time ago. As for the rest of Pembroke well, I am just not sure. The problem I see is that while a lot of good things are going on the layout is mostly still suburban. In addition, we have gargantuan boulevards that cut through the immediate area (Indy and VB Blvd). Unless some serious consideration were to come about to build ped bridges across in several directions it still leaves the areas somewhat disconnected. Having said that I really do hope to see more grids come to fruition as well. We have talked about this before but I could easily see the Kmart torn down and more towers being built there or at least something more urban. I could also see the B&N property, Planet Music and adjoing parcels going way of the wrecking ball at some point. All of this will take some time but I could see it happening. As for VB overtaking Norfolk. I cannot imagine that happening but I can see a very dense urban area that competes well with Norfolk.

Edited by guynvb

Are u trying to start a war? :lol: I can't wait til Rus comes back. :rofl: I can see what you are saying as far as total amount of highrises downtown cause Va. Beach is already on a faster pace in that regard, but I do think Norfolk will always be the center.

Edited by vdogg

no wars and no offenses to anyone. that region is my hometown and I still love it dearly. By overtaking Norfolk, I mean that in a 50 year span. I think Norfolk will still be seen as more of the downtown for the metro, but I think VB has a better chance of becoming the city center of the region.

Some definitions so you can understand what is in my head.

Downtown: The original center of the region and site of historical importance and location of commerce and entertainment. ie downtown richmond. Better example is Seattle.

City Center: a new establishing downtown that is growing at a faster pace and site for more modern day amentities. ie uptown Charlotte. Better example is Bellevue.

While both cities are the downtown and city center of their region. Downtown Charlotte is more of a modern day idea that has little hold on its original roots.

I think both downtowns will become the focus of the region itself, but I think in size VB will become bigger.

Guynvb, working with an avenue is much easier than working with two interstates running through the area. If VB wants those avenues to work they need to make a trip to Europe and I think there they will find their answers.

Has anyone mention the retail project at the Kmart site (I'm assuming where the old Merchant's Tire was)? They have a rendering of the retail project on the corner of Columbus and VB Blvd. (Ruby Tuesday's) facing the blvd.

Does anyone have any info.

I've seen the rendering but always thought it was some generic advertisement. If it is an actual project it looks like it may be nothing more than just a strip mall. God knows we have enough of those. :rolleyes:

Has anyone mention the retail project at the Kmart site (I'm assuming where the old Merchant's Tire was)? They have a rendering of the retail project on the corner of Columbus and VB Blvd. (Ruby Tuesday's) facing the blvd.

Does anyone have any info.

I have been wondering the same thing. I hope it will be more than just another strip center. :( In this scheme (#8) it shows a possible Longhorn Steakhouse but since this scheme is quite dated it probably did not work out.

getimage1.jpg

Are u trying to start a war? :lol: I can't wait til Rus comes back. :rofl: I can see what you are saying as far as total amount of highrises downtown cause Va. Beach is already on a faster pace in that regard, but I do think Norfolk will always be the center.

How is Va Beach "on a faster pace" when it comes to total highrises? Norfolk has far more planned/in development, and I explained that in detail here:

As for the tower development, Norfolk has at least 7 towers planned/under construction that are more than 15 stories.

Trader

Harbor Heights

Harbor's Edge

Hilton Hotel

Granby Tower

Church Street Tower

Kotarides Tower

and plus, we have all of Downtown Plaza to develop, a new office tower, and a second Harbor's Edge that are in consideration, as well as other plans for Fort Norfolk. We are talking at least 10 new 15+ story buildings in the next 10 years.

Town Center has 5 towers under construction/planned that will be more than 15 stories.

Westin

City Walk (2 towers)

Tower 2

City View (15 stories, hardly a tower says vdogg)

Plus the Pembroke area, but time will tell whether there will be true high-rises there or not.

I don't really see the comparison, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't say on a faster pace with high rises yet, but in size of each project they are much bigger in Virginia Beach. When it comes to land VB has a better chance to continue growing.

Keep in mind, I honestly think VB Pembroke and Norfolk Downtown is going to be the strength of the region like St Paul and Minneapolis.

I wouldn't say on a faster pace with high rises yet, but in size of each project they are much bigger in Virginia Beach. When it comes to land VB has a better chance to continue growing.

Actually, yeah. That would be a more accurate description. As i pointed out, I think Norfolk will always be the center so guys please don't take offense.

Actually, yeah. That would be a more accurate description. As i pointed out, I think Norfolk will always be the center so guys please don't take offense.

I don't take offense. The only time I got upset is when someone said that TC was more upscale than DT Norfolk. Most of you guys want Vabeach to blow up cause you live there, just like I'm for DT Norfolk. The only way I see TC getting close to Norfolk is if they get on with the Light Rail. This would help TC more than we could imagine. I think it would help with bringing taller buildings and such. Just IMO ;)

I believe a better analogy is towncenter will be to downtown norfolk as tysons corner is to downtown DC. The office development for Tyson's is outstripping Downtown, but Downtown DC will always be referred to as the regions Downtown whereas Tysons most likely will be the regions second Downtown or maybe uptown.

Certainly towncenter and Downtown Norfolk are both good for HR.

I think at some point Pembroke Mall will have a parking garage in the back for the new Target. They had discussed doing this some time ago. As for the rest of Pembroke well, I am just not sure. The problem I see is that while a lot of good things are going on the layout is mostly still suburban. In addition, we have gargantuan boulevards that cut through the immediate area (Indy and VB Blvd). Unless some serious consideration were to come about to build ped bridges across in several directions it still leaves the areas somewhat disconnected. Having said that I really do hope to see more grids come to fruition as well. We have talked about this before but I could easily see the Kmart torn down and more towers being built there or at least something more urban. I could also see the B&N property, Planet Music and adjoing parcels going way of the wrecking ball at some point. All of this will take some time but I could see it happening. As for VB overtaking Norfolk. I cannot imagine that happening but I can see a very dense urban area that competes well with Norfolk.

Hi guys! I've been lurking a bit over the last few weeks, and it's nice to see some intelligent conversation regarding the local development scene! My source at Town Center stated a couple weeks ago that the pedestrian bridge connecting TC to the Pembroke Mall site was going to be part of the Block 7 development to go up next. He also stated that they've been trying to work out a deal incorporating the old Hannaford's site and the HQ site into being a part of TC, but that is still very up in the air. (The City Walk folks, the last time I spoke with them a couple months ago stated that they still weren't sure where they were going with it.) When I inquired about the B&N/Planet Music site, he stated that they would very much like to see this become a part of TC, but that would be at least 8-10 years down the road, if then.

Hi guys! I've been lurking a bit over the last few weeks, and it's nice to see some intelligent conversation regarding the local development scene! My source at Town Center stated a couple weeks ago that the pedestrian bridge connecting TC to the Pembroke Mall site was going to be part of the Block 7 development to go up next. He also stated that they've been trying to work out a deal incorporating the old Hannaford's site and the HQ site into being a part of TC, but that is still very up in the air. (The City Walk folks, the last time I spoke with them a couple months ago stated that they still weren't sure where they were going with it.) When I inquired about the B&N/Planet Music site, he stated that they would very much like to see this become a part of TC, but that would be at least 8-10 years down the road, if then.

Thanks for the update. As far as City Walk goes it seems as though they have moved quite a bit further along since you last spoke to them, at least according to recent updates. I think it's excellent news that the ped. bridge will be going up next, I think activity in TC will explode after this happens. As far as incorporating the old Hannafords into anything developmentally progressive, it seems as though that's is gonna be a tough fight. It seems as though the property owner is intent on preserving that property for some other use, it would be interesting to find out exactly what their plans are. I also hope they don't just sit on the property for years and do nothing with it, which at this point this seems like a possibility.

Edited by vdogg