Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

On the July 12th, planning agenda

VENTUREAST TWO CORP., A VIRGINIA CORPORATION

Application of Ventureast Two Corp., a Virginia Corporation for a Change of Zoning District Classification from O-2 Office District to H-1 Hotel District on property located on the south side of Cleveland Street, approximately 450 feet east of Newtown Road (GPIN 1467260472 - existing; 1467261339

On the July 12th, planning agenda

^^^Can't imagine anything big coming out of this one in that area. Probably on par with a hilton garden inn.

Yup, likely just another extended-stay business hotel (Sheraton Four Points perhaps) for the Newtown/Greenwich business district.

The old grocery site is not and will not be part of the City Walk project. I'm just dying to know what's going to happen with that grocery store!!

The Hannaford building was torn down today, about 2 hours ago. Well, actually they pulled the supports out from under the roof (fun to watch :P ), so now it's pretty much removing the materials from the site, i would believe, until something else goes up...

The Hannaford building was torn down today, about 2 hours ago. Well, actually they pulled the supports out from under the roof (fun to watch :P ), so now it's pretty much removing the materials from the site, i would believe, until something else goes up...

Welcome to the forum pip. I'm actually going to post some pics of this in the City Walk thread shortly.

Beach Plan Further Erases Rural Image-

Landstown Commons Project

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...8&ran=48048

I've actually known about this for a while :P, just not any specifics. My parents own a restaurant, and Bob Dyer eats there occasionally. He actually wants to get my parents in contact with someone about that area, as he says 'it's going to be the place to be.' Personally, I wish that they could move to the TC, but it's definitely way out of them realm of what we can afford right now...oh well...

Most of these types of developments are no different than strip malls. They just spin the buildings so that they face each other so that it doesn't look like a strip mall. The office component that these developers like to throw in there usually turns out to bank branches, State Farm, and Jackson Hewitt or something like that. The retail will be pretty much the same as you'll find in any other strip type shopping center in the metro. Sure, they will probably pull in a few new named stores, but in general it will be the same old song and dance.

Edited by willy

I don't think I like it.. Looks fairly suburban to me. I'll have to see more renderings.

Well, it is in suburbia. But I hear you. And like you, I'd like to see how it is oriented with the rest of the area. What I'd really like to see is this area develop into more of a village anchored by TCC, ODU/NSU, Sentara, VB municipal center, Sportsplex, and Amp. However, at least this proposal is pedestrian-friendly with parking surrounding the development rather than being the center of it. That always allows for expansion.

Also, doesn't the Pilot mean southeast corner not northeast? The Farmer's Market is on the northeast corner and the Planning Commission agenda shows the proposal on the southeast corner. Actually, after seeing it's location a little more and the initial rendering, I am starting to think that this is a first phase with subsequent additions coming in the future.

Edited by hoobo

They should rethink this thing.

Here the city is trying to build critical mass, and there go another developer throwing up another "center".

I'm not impressed. Why not stack the offices on top of the retail, and then some apartments on top of that!

Makes more sense to me! :blink:

Does this development impact the Green Line that divides the northern and southern halves of Va. Beach?

Princess Anne Road serves as part of the Green Line with land to the west and south being within the Green Line and land east and north being outside. From the Comp Plan, this development falls within Strategic Growth Area #11 which calls for light industrial, office, and retail uses along Dam Neck Blvd. The proposed site is adjacent to Strategic Growth Area #12, Princess Anne Commons, which encompasses TCC, ODU/NSU, PA Park, Farmer's Market, Sentara, the Amp, and Sportsplex and calls for more institutional and recreational uses in this area. Areas #11 and #12 are subject to Oceana's AICUZ, therefore no more residential developments will be built (in theory) in these areas. This proposed development appears to completely fulfill (and even go beyond) the objectives outlined in the Comp Plan for Area #11. I foresee the Planning Commission and City Council unanimously approving this. Although, they may ask them to include more office space but that's really nit-picking.

Edited by hoobo

I only wish the buildings were closer together and more tightly organized near the Dam Neck/PA intersection with parking pushed to the extreme corners of the property. That section in the lower left of the site plan looks good.

I noticed the article mentioned the developers were talking with Trader Joes and Whole Foods for a possible store there.

I don't think it will be Whole Foods because the customer base really isn't there even with all the luxury developments in the transition zone. Whole Foods is better suited for TC (with all the high-end developments and existing upscale areas within a couple miles) or Hilltop/Great Neck/North End area. TJ's is more value-oriented so it should do well in this middle-class area.

I don't think it will be Whole Foods because the customer base really isn't there even with all the luxury developments in the transition zone. Whole Foods is better suited for TC (with all the high-end developments and existing upscale areas within a couple miles) or Hilltop/Great Neck/North End area. TJ's is more value-oriented so it should do well in this middle-class area.

I agree. Whole foods is probably best suited for Hilltop/Great Neck. I even think it would struggle for quite some time at TC.

• 1 month later...

Beach council approves plan for mixed-use project

VIRGINIA BEACH - The gateway to the city's more rural heritage will be anchored by a 57-acre shopping and office center.

The Virginia Beach City Council voted 10-1 on Tuesday night to approve plans for mixed-use development on farmland at Princess Anne and Dam Neck roads. Councilwoman Rosemary Wilson was the dissenting vote on rezoning the property from agriculture to conditional community business.

story

Adding to our sprawl. -_-

Designs call for a fountain, pedestrian walkways and parking behind the shops. A Kohl's department store will be the largest tenant and the developers, Vistacor Partners LLC are in talks with Trader Joe's representatives, said R.J. Nutter, an attorney for the developers.

So if Trader Joes is going there would they still put another location up on the Sifen property? I'm getting really confused about who is actually going there. :wacko: