Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

• 1 month later...

A friend of ours who runs a shop in Pembroke mall said that the "Freight Liquidators" wing will be torn down this month! As was mentioned before they they will be redoing it as an outdoor pedestrian village-y kind of thing. I'm assuming a la Penninsula Town Center (Colisium Mall)

This month eh. And hopefully a rendering will be released shortly too. Thanks for the tip, metalman!

Courtyard by Marriott Oceanfont north This is the one that's already down there, also designed by CMSS, go figure.

:rofl: Well all of there designs are suburban and very bland. I think if we actually pushed for ODU to start a architectual program we could get a some better renderings from these people! Well that might not change it either.

:rofl: Well all of there designs are suburban and very bland. I think if we actually pushed for ODU to start a architectual program we could get a some better renderings from these people! Well that might not change it either.

But lately i've been fairly impressed with their designs and had hope that they were actually getting better, then something like this comes along and I start to question whether that hope is misplaced. :unsure:

I probably would of stayed in Hampton Roads if ODU had a program......when I talked to them about it back in the late 90's I was told there was some rumors that they were putting together an architecture program, but it wouldn't be up and running till after 2010. I don't know if they are still pursuing that, but they really should. Hell that college should of gotten an architecture department 50 years ago.

I think one of my goals in life would be to open a private architecture school in Hampton Roads, it would be sweet to have a SCI-Arch of the east over there or something. If that area had a good architecture college, it would begin to effect the architecture in that area on a small and large level.

Hampton University has had a great school of architecture since the 1930s. I really wish that the alumni from the school of architecture would stay in the Hampton Roads area. Many alumni such as myself, head off to other areas where the opportunities are much greater than Hampton Roads. A lot of great work comes from Hampton Unviersity but it seems like the HR area really doses not reach out to HU, and HU really dose not seem to embrace the Hampton Roads. Washington DC, Atlanta, New York Metro and California gets all the Hampton University school of Architecture alumni.

• 3 weeks later...

For Beach, property's a steal at $900,000

land440x294.jpg

The City Council voted to purchase this property at 17th Street and Pacific Avenue at the Oceanfront.

VIRGINIA BEACH - The shell of the brick building at 17th Street and Pacific Avenue doesn't look like it's worth $900,000.

But city leaders say they see the site - they call it Pepper's Restaurant, although the name McKinney's still hangs from the building - as more than a faded marquee, an old menu board and a vacant interior.

They see premier Oceanfront real estate at the eastern end of Virginia Beach Boulevard, one of the city's main thoroughfares.

story

I just saw news story about this online on Channel 3. They basically said that the city council bought the bar in order to keep another bar from going there. There are no plans for the building, but because Meyera doesn't want those roudy kids hanging at the oceanfront she and 7 other councilmen bought the bar instead of enforcing laws and codes for proper bar and restaurant activities.

For my/our tax dollars to go towards paying for an establishment to avoid one going there sounds assanine. So, that property will sit vancant for years to come and be the very blight that the city is trying to get rid of.

That doesn't sound smart to me.