Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

The City already got the ball rolling with TC. It doesn't need to spend more public money in helping a mall. The TIF created for Lynnhaven is enough. Market forces should drive the Pembroke Mall redevelopment as they are with Pembroke Office Park and the HQ Center (I can't keep track of all these developments with City in their name). Redeveloping Pembroke is complicated by Sears owning its lot. Which brings up another question, why is K-mart still open? Shouldn't it close with Sears across the street. Hopefully Target will force its closure. Then Michael's can move to the K-mart space leaving half of that shopping center open for redevelopment.

Agreed. TC was truly the catalyst. City center?, city walk, and city view are all privately funded projects that were brought about because of the existence of TC. The city does not need to invest money to bring pembroke mall into the fold but on that same token Pembroke mall should step up to the plate to tie themselves in a little better with TC. The renovation was good but more can be done. When I see those aerial photos of sprawling parking lots it makes me cringe. As much as I complain however I am at a loss for what exactly should be done with that property at this time.

The City already got the ball rolling with TC. It doesn't need to spend more public money in helping a mall. The TIF created for Lynnhaven is enough. Market forces should drive the Pembroke Mall redevelopment as they are with Pembroke Office Park and the HQ Center (I can't keep track of all these developments with City in their name). Redeveloping Pembroke is complicated by Sears owning its lot. Which brings up another question, why is K-mart still open? Shouldn't it close with Sears across the street. Hopefully Target will force its closure. Then Michael's can move to the K-mart space leaving half of that shopping center open for redevelopment.

Pembroke Mall is a privately owned mall and should stay that way. I must agree that citizens should not be be pouring more money into redevelopment then we already have. TC is robust and NUMEROUS developments will be coming online in the next few years bc of it. As far as Kmart, it is there bc it serves a population in the area. It is the only large big(ger) box type general merchandise store for the area. If I were a betting man I would say its days are numbered though especially when Target comes to the area. It will only be a matter of time until they are gone. And what would be great would be if they could just tear down that whole shopping center (it is pretty old) and rebuild a nice center and rebuild Michaels if they so desire. Better yet, build a nice mixed use building over there.. or another tower!

Agreed. TC was truly the catalyst. City center?, city walk, and city view are all privately funded projects that were brought about because of the existence of TC. The city does not need to invest money to bring pembroke mall into the fold but on that same token Pembroke mall should step up to the plate to tie themselves in a little better with TC. The renovation was good but more can be done. When I see those aerial photos of sprawling parking lots it makes me cringe. As much as I complain however I am at a loss for what exactly should be done with that property at this time.

I too think Pembroke needs to go further but this mall was in pretty sad shape and perhaps in phases it can continually be upgraded. Right now the mall is just trying to get new stores and really when Target comes in I think a lot of changes may start to result. I thought I read at one point a parking garage may be built as well.

Oceana looms over 19th street developments

A highlight:

"On Tuesday, city planners will present the City Council with a sweeping overhaul plan for the resort. It calls for 3,000 to 5,000 more homes, an entertainment district and a high-end district of shops and condominiums on 19th Street. These are considered crucial to the success of the city’s new $203 million convention center."

I mean if it's not the GSA it's gotta be some form of federal government throwing a wrench in the works. :angry: Some type of compromise has to be found.

Edited by vdogg

Oceana looms over 19th street developments

A highlight:

"On Tuesday, city planners will present the City Council with a sweeping overhaul plan for the resort. It calls for 3,000 to 5,000 more homes, an entertainment district and a high-end district of shops and condominiums on 19th Street. These are considered crucial to the success of the city

I am all for this sweeping overhaul but I can't see the military even approving of this.

This is what gets me the most. The military has to appove. I did not vote for the military to run this city, I didn't vote for BRAC to run this city either. I voted for city council members (as did we all). The good neighbor policy works both ways and as I see it they are guests in our home. I have no problem with them being here but the argument to date has been decidedly one sided. BRAC dictates terms and says we must do something or lose them, yet no consideration of the adverse economic impact they make on the city by these demands is taken into account. It is a credit to some of the local military leaders that at least they are willing to take a second look. I really don't think this attitude is going to trickle far enough up the chain of command to make a difference however.

This is what gets me the most. The military has to appove. I did not vote for the military to run this city, I didn't vote for BRAC to run this city either. I voted for city council members (as did we all). The good neighbor policy works both ways and as I see it they are guests in our home. I have no problem with them being here but the argument to date has been decidedly one sided. BRAC dictates terms and says we must do something or lose them, yet no consideration of the adverse economic impact they make on the city by these demands is taken into account. It is a credit to some of the local military leaders that at least they are willing to take a second look. I really don't think this attitude is going to trickle far enough up the chain of command to make a difference however.

The feds don't care about the cities in which they are in. They care about what their objective is and not what is best for where they are. I think those city councilman need to step up or get voted out next round. They need to worry more about the future and what these types of developments will do for the city and not sit stale like Oceana but grow beyond the economics of Oceana, especially since its not guanteed to stay anyways. This is like odds of winning the mega millions in my opinion. Lose great tax base for something that is 99.9 percent likely to leave anyways.

Edited by rusthebuss

Pembroke Mall is a privately owned mall and should stay that way. I must agree that citizens should not be be pouring more money into redevelopment then we already have. TC is robust and NUMEROUS developments will be coming online in the next few years bc of it. As far as Kmart, it is there bc it serves a population in the area. It is the only large big(ger) box type general merchandise store for the area. If I were a betting man I would say its days are numbered though especially when Target comes to the area. It will only be a matter of time until they are gone. And what would be great would be if they could just tear down that whole shopping center (it is pretty old) and rebuild a nice center and rebuild Michaels if they so desire. Better yet, build a nice mixed use building over there.. or another tower!

I agree. They should continually renovate Pembroke Mall. There was an article in the Pilot about 3-4 years ago that explained how Pembroke Mall would be renovated in such a way that it would connect to the Armada Hoffler tower. So far it's been slow on renovations except that they added some restaurants on Virginia Beach Blvd. I know that the shopping center east of Pembroke is really old, and it should be renovated or torn down. Perhaps build another one with Target and Michaels as two key stores, and fill in the rest with more stores. I know it's far from the TC by walking distance, but it should work. ;)

I know, but you never can tell.

We may have some outsider visit that may not understand our humor. This could be touchy subject for someone who's father was a fighter pilot that was killed in battle.

You are right, but we shouldn't have too be too sanctimonious about the armed forces. They have sacrificed a lot for us but in many countries they turn on their own citizens. Well, as a matter of fact, it's even happened here once or twice (re arbitrary AICUZ change and BRAC demands).

Edited by Padman

• 2 weeks later...

did anyone else read in this morning's paper that the Dunes down at the oceanfront is being torn down to make way for a SpringHill hotel/condominium? I'm going to head down that way later today and get some pictures of the demolition. they said this project won't be as big as the Marriott was going to be, but it's still sorta exciting.

Here's the article....from the Virginian Pilot...

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...97269&ran=48097

No doubt the Dunes was a dump, but I'm sorry to see a limited service hotel replacing it instead of a larger one. The Marriott would have been a better project than a SpringHill Suites. R.I.P. Pinewood. I'll try to find a picture of the old hotel.

Edited by tombarnes