Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

I don't always find it a good thing that houses, especially new ones have very little front yard and are about 5 feet from there neighbors house. In urban environments, sure. But in single family neighborhoods I feel its a way to cram more houses in a said space so the developer gets more money.

As a home owner...a recent first time home owner myself...I think it's a good thing to have a yard, some soil and grass to call your own and not just four walls and a roof. I think one of the best investments you can have (and developers would agree, as it is there livelyhood) is land. I love the fact that I have property around my home that I can walk around in, or work on my car on, hell, run around naked in if I want too, because the land around my house is mine too. I just hear so much about high and dense, and how many, and more, etc., and that has its place and I am whole-heartedly excited about that in TC, and the oceanfront, downtown, urban cores, CBD's, but when it comes to neighborhoods in suburban settings, I feel some people think that that word is a bad thing and even stand alone/single family houses must adhere to the same rules as urban homes and buildings. And I personally don't believe that to be the case. I think it's OK to switch gears for suburban design.

The houses in the above pics are absolutley gorgeous, but I immediatley think, damn, they have NO land. They are paying $500,000 for this house, but they can barely step outside before running into the neighbors house. Grass now seems to be used as a boarder or for exterior decoration more than for a 'historic' yard.

I'll be glad I have mine so when I have kids LATER, they'll able to run around our yard knowing they're safe or play catch in my backyard or put up a swing set or even hand one from the branch of one of my trees...things that I did as a kid in my own yard. Or, if I what more house, I can opt to add on to my home rather that selling it and leaving an area that I love.

So, this in my late night memo. I feel like Jerry McGuire right now. I saw post above and this just popped in my head so I had to get it off of my chest.

So, does anyone agree or am I all alone on this one.

Thanks for reading,

Metalman

Edited by metalman

I think you're right. In some ways, I love having the spread out suburbia around an extremely urban core and not the odd "in-between suburban-urban developments", like above. I will say, though, that the architecture of the homes is excellent and it appears like there is a lot of open space for such a development, but I get what you're saying, particularly if a person wants their children to have a backyard to play in.

I was lucky that my parents got a nice suburban home on 1/3 acre in York County. I think the closing price on the home was around $180K back in 1994, which was a fairly good buy back then. Now, for the same thing, same size, similar style and finishes, it would cost well over twice that amount. Homes in this neighborhood that are smaller are going for $415-430K easily.. it's nuts. And the new ones in a neighborhood about 5 min away are selling for over $500K, with half the lots. It's getting crazy, and this is York County---still relatively suburban-rural---not Virginia Beach.

I've passed by this development a bunch of times but never stopped to take photos or mention it on this site. Its ok but its suburbia so not much to comment on it. Thats why I never posted anything about it. There is also something going on at S. Independence and plaza.

:lol: I'm with you on this one Rus. I usually have my suburbia blinders on whenever I make an outing in Va. Beach.

:lol: I'm with you on this one Rus. I usually have my suburbia blinders on whenever I make an outing in Va. Beach.

Don't get me wrong, its a very nice development and alot of people love living in developments like this. I'm more of a city person and my wife is a suburbia/country person. Its a beautiful development but its just not urban but we have to crawl before we walk so we will continue to see more development like this until our urban cores spread.

eh...sorry, but i have to say that these houses make my stomach churn just a bit. they just look like typical "vinyl siding with brick for a splash of class" sort of deals. what i wouldn't give to have just one suburban development around here that has a bit more thought put into it.

How in the world did we not know about this till now? :huh:

I thought someone posted something about this. Wait, found the post. Vdogg, you'll be embarassed. The post is from you (link). All I know is that I've been on their info list for a month or so now, but haven't gotten any updates.

Edited by hoobo

I thought someone posted something about this. Wait, found the post. Vdogg, you'll be embarassed. The post is from you (link). All I know is that I've been on their info list for a month or so now, but haven't gotten any updates.

Nope. That post is related to 29 ocean. A completely different project that I already have a thread about. That project is in the predevelopment phase. The project that guy posted about just started construction.

Nope. That post is related to 29 ocean. A completely different project that I already have a thread about. That project is in the predevelopment phase. The project that guy posted about just started construction.

Oh. Anyhow, the quote from the article on 29Ocean talks about Old Beach Village, it's developers, and the pricing range. It was there all along. I suppose the real news is that it's nearing completion.

Those are new condos on the corner of 30th and Baltic avenue. It's near the Beach Hardware and ABC store down there. From the site they appear to be 4-5 floors depending upon the model.

This site is very basic at best but it's all that I have.

http://oldbeachvillage.com

Sorry Guys, it was buried in the VB Photo thread.

Anyways, it's a nice looking development. Plus it's been fun watching the logistics of this project as it has risen from piles to roof. They're about finished with the structure that was in the photo and the other styled building is about half way up. Plus they've still got a long way to go with the interiors and finishing touches on both of them.

• 1 month later...

This sounds interesting, though I can't put a finger on exactly where this is yet.

On the May 10th agenda

BEACH DEVELOPMENT GROUP, L.L.C.

An Ordinance upon Application of Beach Development Group, L.L. C. for a Change of Zoning District Classification from R-5D Residential Duplex District to Conditional B-2 Community Business District on property located on the north side of Euclid Road, approximately 600 feet east of Onondaga Road (GPIN 14772291790000). The Comprehensive Plan designates this site as being within Strategic Growth Area 4, Pembroke Area, suitable for a mix of mid to high-rise residential, office, retail, entertainment, educational, institutional and related urban scale uses. The purpose of this rezoning is to develop the site for an office building. DISTRICT 2 – KEMPSVILLE / STAFF PLANNER: Faith Christie