Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/brass-tap-announces-first-charlotte-location-southend/#.VL7Yfi7F_mY

New craft beer place moving into the Dharma Lounge space. Now, I would think this place would directly compete with, and almost be the exact same thing as, World of Beer. As we have discussed WoB hasn't done so well, so I am not sure what The Brass Tap (another Florida based beer place) thinks they will do differently that will make them a raging success with a worse location (which actually might be a great location in a few years) but okaaayyyy. I do not get business owners in this town....at all. 

How they will stand out I guess is:

"The Southend location will be more than just about  beer, they will also feature a full food menu, a variety of fine wines and craft cocktails.  This is going to be one fun place!"

Yawn, so they're no different than just another bar, all fine and dandy I guess, adding to South Ends repetoir. Hopefully they take the time to craft a really great cocktail menu.

Edited by Jayvee

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/brass-tap-announces-first-charlotte-location-southend/#.VL7Yfi7F_mY

New craft beer place moving into the Dharma Lounge space. Now, I would think this place would directly compete with, and almost be the exact same thing as, World of Beer. As we have discussed WoB hasn't done so well, so I am not sure what The Brass Tap thinks they will do differently that will make them a raging success with a worse location (which actually might be a great location in a few years) but okaaayyyy. I do not get business owners in this town....at all.

I have a suggestion for them... Hire people that know their beer. My biggest complaint about WOB is that half their staff couldn't tell you the difference between a porter and stout. I've been to The Beer Growler a half dozen times, which is right across from WOB, and they know their stuff. Their only downfall is that whole permitting issue with serving beers, though the flights are a huge improvement. Good Bottle isn't in the best location and that place flourishes because they have a great owner who knows how to run a business inspite of the somewhat challenging location.

Edited by wend28

New craft beer place moving into the Dharma Lounge space. Now, I would think this place would directly compete with, and almost be the exact same thing as, World of Beer. As we have discussed WoB hasn't done so well, so I am not sure what The Brass Tap (another Florida based beer place) thinks they will do differently that will make them a raging success with a worse location (which actually might be a great location in a few years) but okaaayyyy. I do not get business owners in this town....at all.

"The Southend location will be more than just about beer, they will also feature a full food menu, a variety of fine wines and craft cocktails. This is going to be one fun place!"

Yawn, so they're no different than just another bar, all fine and dandy I guess, adding to South Ends repetoir. Hopefully they take the time to craft a really great cocktail menu.

Sigh. I Just got back from Nashville. Honestly, East Nashville, Midtown and hell even suburban city centers are chock full of unique, authentic American bars. Great cocktails, amazing food and kickass atmospheres.

And in Charlotte, we get a franchise in one of our most promising locations on one of our most urban neighborhood streets

Edited by Guest

"The Southend location will be more than just about  beer, they will also feature a full food menu, a variety of fine wines and craft cocktails.  This is going to be one fun place!"

Honestly, there aren't ANY real bar/restaurants on Camden or Summit yet, and I think one is needed (CM is its own thing, and while I know you can get a beer at Phat Burrito or Pike's, they're very far from being bars). However I just looked at the menu for one of these and the food sounds about as generic as it gets, making All American Pub almost exciting by comparison. 

Sigh. I Just got back from Nashville. Honestly, East Nashville, Midtown and hell even suburban city centers are chock full of unique, authentic American bars. 

As great as CLT is, the bar scene here is one of the weakest of any major city in the country. You can just get back from almost any city and say that exact same thing. 

I have a suggestion for them... Hire people that know their beer. My biggest complaint about WOB is that half their staff couldn't tell you the difference between a porter and stout. I've been to The Beer Growler a half dozen times, which is right across from WOB, and they know their stuff. Their only downfall is that whole permitting issue with serving beers, though the flights are a huge improvement. Good Bottle isn't in the best location and that place flourishes because they have a great owner who knows how to run a business inspite of the somewhat challenging location.

and you could NOT be more correct. I've been to other WoB's and the staff has been great, thus making the location great. The staff in South End, is as you've said, absolute GARBAGE and it brings down that place. If this business owner is smart, they need to really take time in 'crafting' their staff....see what I did there!? :)

Edited by Jayvee

And in Charlotte, we get a franchise in one of our most promising locations on one of our most urban neighborhood streets

I agree, total bummer. And the thing is, right down the street around the corner from Unknown is a really great version of what World of Beer and (likely) The Brass Tap fail to be. I visited Craft Growler Shop this past weekend and really enjoyed it. Nice small plates (and wafer thin flatbreads) coupled with a dynamite collection of regional beers on draft. I'd much rather visit there than one of these chain joints.

• Like 2

I agree, total bummer. And the thing is, right down the street around the corner from Unknown is a really great version of what World of Beer and (likely) The Brass Tap fail to be. I visited Craft Growler Shop this past weekend and really enjoyed it. Nice small plates (and wafer thin flatbreads) coupled with a dynamite collection of regional beers on draft. I'd much rather visit there than one of these chain joints.

I am a HUGE fan of Craft as are many of my friends. They do everything right there.

• Like 1

Sigh. I Just got back from Nashville. Honestly, East Nashville, Midtown and hell even suburban city centers are chock full of unique, authentic American bars. Great cocktails, amazing food and kickass atmospheres.

Vanilla Charlotte keeping its form. Really frustrating stuff. Can't wait for a Hickory Tavern or Carolina Ale House to move in next to it...

half their staff couldn't tell you the difference between a porter and stout. 

And you can?  Ha ha, just kidding, but the overlap is enormous, and there really isn't much difference -- it all depends on who you are asking.  Here is one of MANY articles on the subject: http://www.craftbrewingbusiness.com/beer-of-the-month/what-is-the-difference-between-porter-and-stout/

But having said that, I agree with the intent of your post.

Edited by grodney

WOB is flat out piss poor in almost every sense.

Poor knowledge. Poor servers. Menu rarely updated. No food. We went a few weeks ago before the Panthers game to get out of the rain.  There was maybe 6 people inside (as opposed to a wait at All American Pub). The server tried to sell me 6 month old bottle of Sierra Nevada harvest IPA....ummm no dude.  Asked for no less than 4 beers before I found one that wasn't kicked.  They didn't start changing the empty taps until after 4pm. 

I also agree that Craft is great (although the flights are very expensive). Regular pours were priced good and the flat bread was really tasty. Good crowd the night we were in.  

I have no problem with the Brass Tap if it is a good concept. Not everything needs to be local if they do a good job. 

And you can?  Ha ha, just kidding, but the overlap is enormous, and there really isn't much difference -- it all depends on who you are asking.  Here is one of MANY articles on the subject: http://www.craftbrewingbusiness.com/beer-of-the-month/what-is-the-difference-between-porter-and-stout/

But having said that, I agree with the intent of your post.

Perhaps I should have chose a different analogy... But yes, today's craft beer scene doesn't provide much distinction. To me it was always that stouts were always more bold and had a fuller body. I always thought of them as sort of a beer milkshake where Guinness Stout was always the best example. Now, it seems many breweries just slap porter or stout on the label and they'll tell you it's a gray line. 

How about this... they can't tell you the difference between a lager and pale ale? :)

I underwrote a finance package for a Brass Tap deal down in Florida. Here's the website. I have a hard time believing this is going to succeed at that location. It seemed to me something that would be better suited to a suburban population with families. Maybe someone understands recent college grads better than I do though. Good luck to whoever the franchisee is!

Does anyone have any updates on Legion Brewing? Are they still looking at a Spring opening? Looking at the amount of work left to be done my guess is early summer...

I spoke with Phil last weekend. He's dealing with permits etc. Once permits are in, a sign will go up but that's it. He said that he's going to wait until he is very comfortable with an opening date and do and all out marketing blitz in the last month or so before they open. We won't hear much until it is time to get excited. 

I underwrote a finance package for a Brass Tap deal down in Florida. Here's the website. I have a hard time believing this is going to succeed at that location. It seemed to me something that would be better suited to a suburban population with families. Maybe someone understands recent college grads better than I do though. Good luck to whoever the franchisee is!

I don't see this succeeding.  I'm a big craft beer fan, but nothing turns me off more than a fabricated, plastic, craft beer scene.  It sounds like the kind of place you'd find attached to a Concord Mills, where suburbanites can feel like they are in a dive bar without actually having to leave their safe confines.  I imagine that's the case for most craft beer lovers.  We drink local, craft beer because we appreciate unique atmospheres.  I just hate that a location that seems so promising can devolve to this.

• Like 1

I don't see this succeeding.  I'm a big craft beer fan, but nothing turns me off more than a fabricated, plastic, craft beer scene.  It sounds like the kind of place you'd find attached to a Concord Mills, where suburbanites can feel like they are in a dive bar without actually having to leave their safe confines.  I imagine that's the case for most craft beer lovers.  We drink local, craft beer because we appreciate unique atmospheres.  I just hate that a location that seems so promising can devolve to this.

Couldn't agree more on all fronts, it's a shame and I have no idea how someone with money to franchise this can't see that. Such a waste, that being said, i have NO idea how WoB is still in business. Once this is open, they will hopefully cannibalize each other and something better will open in their spots.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 3

New article on Free Range -- still looking at "Spring", with the first batch(es) brewed in early February.  Plan is for approx 10 beers on tap.  Starting food options are charcuterie, local cheeses, and breads, with a kitchen available to expand that later.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/01/21/free-range-brewing-targets-spring-opening-in.html

New article on Free Range -- still looking at "Spring", with the first batch(es) brewed in early February.  Plan is for approx 10 beers on tap.  Starting food options are charcuterie, local cheeses, and breads, with a kitchen available to expand that later.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/01/21/free-range-brewing-targets-spring-opening-in.html

Can't wait, so excited. 

The great thing about living outside of Charlotte and only visiting a couple times a year is that theres always something new to me, so Charlotte seems less lame :-)