Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

My brother-in-law and I did a Charlotte IPA Blind Tasting on xmas.  We had Triple C 3C (bomber), Unknown (can), Hop Drop (can), and Birdsong Higher Ground (growler).  The *intent* was to pick which we liked best, but we couldn't resist the temptation to try to identify which was which.  It was really hard to pick which was "best" to start with, but it was impossible once we started trying to identify them.

Anyway, I correctly identified Hop Drop and 3C (which are the 2 that I drink way more than the other 2).  For the "best", I picked Hop Drop 1st and 3C 2nd.  My bro-in-law didn't identify any of them correctly, and he chose Unknown as his favorite, although part of the reason he picked that one is that he *didn't* want Unknown to win but he had mis-identified which was which.

Cool story bro.  Thanks for listening.  I encourage you to give it a try.  Oh, for logistics, my wife/daughters poured them into red plastic cups that were lettered A/B/C/D.  We didn't look at the color of the beer, but we did smell it of course.

• Like 1

My brother-in-law and I did a Charlotte IPA Blind Tasting on xmas.  We had Triple C 3C (bomber), Unknown (can), Hop Drop (can), and Birdsong Higher Ground (growler).  The *intent* was to pick which we liked best, but we couldn't resist the temptation to try to identify which was which.  It was really hard to pick which was "best" to start with, but it was impossible once we started trying to identify them.

Anyway, I correctly identified Hop Drop and 3C (which are the 2 that I drink way more than the other 2).  For the "best", I picked Hop Drop 1st and 3C 2nd.  My bro-in-law didn't identify any of them correctly, and he chose Unknown as his favorite, although part of the reason he picked that one is that he *didn't* want Unknown to win but he had mis-identified which was which.

Cool story bro.  Thanks for listening.  I encourage you to give it a try.  Oh, for logistics, my wife/daughters poured them into red plastic cups that were lettered A/B/C/D.  We didn't look at the color of the beer, but we did smell it of course.

My wife and I did the same at Craft this weekend. We did flights and tried everything on their list, LOL. We ordered them in batches. 5 IPAs and Pale Ales, 5 Porters and Stouts, you get the idea. It was pretty fun, and we got most of it wrong, because we live 500 miles away, but it was fun anyways :-) I will also take this time to show my devotion to Uber, I would probably not be alive if it wasn't for them :-)

Went to heist this weekend, as well, and I must say their beers have gotten MUCH better.

Edited by Guest

Went to heist this weekend, as well, and I must say their beers have gotten MUCH better.

I agree with this. Really highlights how important it is to come out of the gate with high-quality beers. Took me more than a year to return, and I had to hear about their improvement from a bunch of people before I'd go give it another go. Their styles are a bit cloying for my taste, but the Muscles from Brussels is quite good.

But that negative buzz is death for a lot of places. Compare that to what Sugar Creek has done, producing really high quality beer from day one.

I had Unknown's stout in a can.  I had it on tap 1 time before and really liked it, and I'm happy to say it translated well to the can.  It's really good.  Another great option to pick up at the store.  We are rapidly approaching the point where I drink nothing but Charlotte beer.  Especially with Triple C and Birdsong set to start canning their own, and NoDa certain to expand their offerings.

I don't go out to bars at all, and we make just a few trips to the breweries -- so these grocery store options are key for me.  With those I mentioned above, plus The Beer Growler filling in with one-offs when needed, plus OMB's standards always available, it's truly amazing to think of where we're at.

I agree with this. Really highlights how important it is to come out of the gate with high-quality beers. Took me more than a year to return, and I had to hear about their improvement from a bunch of people before I'd go give it another go. Their styles are a bit cloying for my taste, but the Muscles from Brussels is quite good.

But that negative buzz is death for a lot of places. Compare that to what Sugar Creek has done, producing really high quality beer from day one.

I was there on the Friday after christmas at lunch time and they did quite a successful lunch service. The place was pretty packed. I think thats pretty good for Noda on a Friday Afternoon after a holiday.

On a side note: 

I've been tweeting with NoDa Brewing Company for a few months, begging them to put a place for people passing through CLT airport to buy their beers and help create exposure for their Gold Medal winning HD&R. To me Hop Drop and Roll is like Bojangles, a taste of home, and when I'm passing through, I HAVE to experience both. 

I tweeted them again as I was passing through the airport this weekend and they responded that they are in advanced talks to open just such an establishment in 2015! I fly through Charlotte pretty often, and I will be picking up Coco Loco and HD&R whenever I am around. Can't wait to buy 4 cases and fly it back to NYC!

Edited by Guest

I had Unknown's stout in a can.  I had it on tap 1 time before and really liked it, and I'm happy to say it translated well to the can.  It's really good.  Another great option to pick up at the store.  We are rapidly approaching the point where I drink nothing but Charlotte beer.  Especially with Triple C and Birdsong set to start canning their own, and NoDa certain to expand their offerings.

I don't go out to bars at all, and we make just a few trips to the breweries -- so these grocery store options are key for me.  With those I mentioned above, plus The Beer Growler filling in with one-offs when needed, plus OMB's standards always available, it's truly amazing to think of where we're at.

It took me a few times to fine a beer I really liked at Unknown. Silverback was definitely it. Very tasty stout and look forward to buying their cans... Their IPA was alright but doesn't stand out to me. Like you, I mostly drink CLT beers now. Though, I have a hard time passing up Wicked Weed or Fullsteam when I see them on tap. 

It took me a few times to fine a beer I really liked at Unknown. Silverback was definitely it. Very tasty stout and look forward to buying their cans... Their IPA was alright but doesn't stand out to me. Like you, I mostly drink CLT beers now. Though, I have a hard time passing up Wicked Weed or Fullsteam when I see them on tap. 

I really like D9 Hakuna Matata, I'm loving lots of Charlotte Beers when I passthrough. I even had a Lenny boy that I Liked the other day. 

Lenny Boy's sour is pretty great, one of the best I have had. However, you gotta like sour -- many people hate it.

I have an insane love of sours. My friends have introduced me to them when gathering at their homes, via growlers or large bottles. I loved every one I have tasted, but I have been searching for them to buy and damming they are hard to find. There is one available now at Craft in South End by D9 from Cornelius which I am looking forward to drinking and bringing a growler back on Saturday afternoon when I hit this spot up for the first time.

We hit Sycamore (and Triple C) as a warm-up before the football game on Saturday.  The experience at Sycamore was WAY better than my first visit (quoted below).  The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming.  The flight option was really needed and is nice.  The 4 beers I had were good -- nothing standout -- but nothing bad -- just great drinking options.  As a bonus, whoever picked the music for the day had an awesome 80s jam going.

Went to Sycamore Saturday shortly after they opened at Noon.  Here is my take:

Good:

- The place is nice -- I like it a lot.  Outdoor area is nice but will need shade.  Big garage doors to open when it's nice out.  Parking is a plus.

Problems:

- Their workers were clueless about beer.  With about 8 beers listed and no descriptions and no flights, it's natural for us to ask about the "Amber" and the "Brown", for instance.  All we got is dumb looks.  They also couldn't give us any indication or comparison of the hop profiles on the OPA, IPA, and Black IPA.  One of us asked for a sample, and the workers seemed really put off by it.

- No flights.  My bro-in-law asked and I guess they said they'll start them next week.  I have no idea why they wouldn't have had this from Day 1.  They had flight glasses behind the bar.

- $5.08 per pint.  $5.50 after tax.  That's pretty proud for average ABV beers, compared to the other breweries.

- No wifi.

Beer:

- Black IPA - above average -- pretty good.

- Oat Pale Ale - average.

- IPA - average.

- Blonde - pretty good for what it is. Above average in the blonde spectrum.

- Stout - Average I guess. Good aroma and pretty good flavor, but the feel and overall impression was a little weak.  I don't know, maybe that's the style they are going for.

- Brown - Really strange.  Super dark brown, almost the same color as the stout and the black IPA.  But no aroma and very little taste.  Of course I was in the middle of the OPA when I tasted it, so maybe it was just too subtle.

- ESB - I guess the flavor/malt/hops were about right for an ESB, but I felt mine was under-carbonated -- or something.  It just seemed flat.

- Amber -- did not taste it.

Overall, I think they'll be fine.  They shouldn't have any problem attracting the South End crowd with their setup, their apparent dedication to live music, and their serviceable beer.  I'm interested to see if they end up with a standard lineup of 4 or 5 beers, and whether they can break out with a signature specialty.  We're going to a Hornet's game in a couple weeks, and are planning to take the light rail and stop for a beer on the way --- and at this point our stop will be at The Beer Growler for a flight, instead of at Sycamore (first choice would be Triple C, but they're not open Mondays).

With a new legislative session about to start, I have written letters to my Rep. and Sen. asking them to introduce legislation to repeal the prohibition of Sunday morning alcohol sales.  I used their conservatism against them, saying that I'm sure they agree that an appropriately small government has no place enforcing such restrictions on our state's proud business owners.

Still, I won't hold my breath. 

If these people would respond to e-mail or social media, I'd save a lot of money on stamps -- and save a lot of writer's cramps!

18B-1004. Hours for sale and consumption.

( c ) Sunday Hours. - It shall be unlawful to sell or consume alcoholic beverages on any licensed premises from the time at which sale or consumption must cease on Sunday morning until 12:00 Noon on that day.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 3

Does anyone have any updates on Legion Brewing? Are they still looking at a Spring opening? Looking at the amount of work left to be done my guess is early summer...

Their website says "Spring": http://legionbrewing.com/

That's the only update I've seen since the Oct article that said "Buchy, who has been brewing beer for 17 years, says he'll have more details to share about Legion in the future but hopes to open in the spring.".  Their website wasn't up at the time of the article.  Haven't found a facebook page yet, and no tweets since 2012.

Edited by grodney

Their website says "Spring": http://legionbrewing.com/

That's the only update I've seen since the Oct article that said "Buchy, who has been brewing beer for 17 years, says he'll have more details to share about Legion in the future but hopes to open in the spring.".  Their website wasn't up at the time of the article.  Haven't found a facebook page yet, and no tweets since 2012.

LOVE the look of their site already, have very high hopes for these guys.

With a new legislative session about to start, I have written letters to my Rep. and Sen. asking them to introduce legislation to repeal the prohibition of Sunday morning alcohol sales.  I used their conservatism against them, saying that I'm sure they agree that an appropriately small government has no place enforcing such restrictions on our state's proud business owners.

Still, I won't hold my breath. 

If these people would respond to e-mail or social media, I'd save a lot of money on stamps -- and save a lot of writer's cramps!

18B-1004. Hours for sale and consumption.

( c ) Sunday Hours. - It shall be unlawful to sell or consume alcoholic beverages on any licensed premises from the time at which sale or consumption must cease on Sunday morning until 12:00 Noon on that day.

God speed my good man.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I love beer, but spirits are my passion. Im so excited to say Charlotte is getting a distillery! Finally! Doc Porter's will be opening at 324 Peterson soon! So exciting!

Are we sure about that address?  That's a house on a street I drive down a fair bit.  I couldn't imagine it'd be zoned to just be plopped next to a bunch of other houses. 

Additionally, I found this while searching Doc Porter's:

http://www.piedmontproperties.com/news-and-press/latest-news/distillery-becomes-part-of-scaleybark-development.shtml

I'd be more excited about it being in the new Scaleybark development anyways.  Too bad we had such archaic alcohol laws that they won't be able to actually sell drinks inside of the distillery.

I made it back to the Sycamore Brewing last night since they first opened a few months back. I have to say big improvement on the service and the variance of beers. There Cabin Fever Stout was excellent and I tried several of their IPAs on a flight. The Castle Harbor IPA and the Belgian White IPA (don't recall the name) are the ones I recall and both were good. One of them I had was so-so. They also had the Hot Box Next Level Street Food food truck on site. Definitely look forward to going back.