Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

In news that barely qualifies as news, Archive Brewing (coming "soon" (2016?) to Charlotte or Matthews) has changed their Twitter handle and their logo to "Avenge Brewing".  The "A" logo remains the same.  And at least for now, their Archive Brewing facebook and web pages are still up, though the avengebrewing.com domain was registered on Monday 12/1.

Weihnachtmarkt at Olde Meck was great tonight. Spiced wine, good beer, wonderful setting, and some decent vendors. We bought some prints of some Charlotte restaurant landmarks (not all still here) for a deal! The menu is limited during the event - pretty much german stuff only, but it was great. It was probably the first time in 4 or 5 months that my wife and I got out of the house without our one year old (aunt and uncle did some babysitting), so we thoroughly enjoyed it even more in that regard, though it is a kid-friendly event. I would encourage anyone looking to check out the ne Olde Meck Brewery to check it out tomorrow night, as it is the last night of the event.

Bayne Brewing in Cornelius has announced a Dec 27 opening.  Primal Brewery nearby in Huntersville is getting close, but hasn't announced a date.  That will make 4 breweries in Cornelius/Huntersville within 4 miles of each other.

Quick Ref: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDt3ts8a8dLdDVkUWxkOEtoZmJZNUN2ZEhiZ19CWHc&usp=sharing

Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Sugar Creek announced food service.  Menu here: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e246/grodney/sugarcreekmenu_zpsac7b1d78.jpg  Interesting that their plans for Doner Kebabs and fries turned into paninis and salads.

In other news, NoDa released "Hoppy Holidays" in their tap room yesterday, and to Charlotte metro today, in 16oz cans.  A holiday IPA without the holiday spices.

Ate at Sugar Creek on Friday.  It was their first night of food but they wanted to see how it was received and make last minute tweaks if needed.  

I ordered the Thermal Nuclear Kraken which was quite good.  Prices might be a little steep ($9-10) for sandwiches and a bag of chips.  Though some beers like the saison and dubbel are in the $4-4.50 range so I guess that offsets it somewhat.  I haven't been to every brewery in town recently but I feel most don't offer a pint for less than $5.  

I haven't been to every brewery in town recently but I feel most don't offer a pint for less than $5.  

It depends on the beer of course, but $5 is at the high end for normal stuff.  Sycamore was $5.08 (5.50 after tax) for everything when I was there a few weeks ago.  NoDa is $4 for Jam, CAVU, Ramble; $4.50 for Gose, Coco Loco, W&W, Cold Crash, and $5 for Hop Drop and Conroy's, all as seen this last weekend.  I think Birdsong is $4 for their standard stuff -- certainly not $5.  I haven't looked at Triple C's board lately, but their normal beers aren't $5.

Speaking of prices, 4-packs of CocoLoco and Hop Drop were 10.99 and 11.99, respectively at the brewery.  They sell for $1 less at Winestore in Blakeney -- which is cheaper than anywhere I've seen.  I don't get it, but I'm not complaining.

• Like 1

I've yet to attend, but I've been told it's a "less pretensions hipster version of Common Market".  He was meaning to state that he didn't feel the need to be "ultra hipster/cool guy" at Rhino like it kinda gets sometimes at Common Market.  Which is good to hear (granted I still love both Common Markets)

• Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/12/birdsong-brewing-buys-north-davidson-street.html

Speaking of Birdsong, here is the article on their move down the street. Love this location, moves them out of NoDa, but they will practically be an uptown Brewery.

Edited by Jayvee

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/12/birdsong-brewing-buys-north-davidson-street.html

Speaking of Birdsong, here is the article on their move down the street. Love this location, moves them out of NoDa, but they will practically be an uptown Brewery.

I can't figure out why this is only out today. They've been renovating that location for months now, the plan is to move in January. 

edit: twitter answered, there was a press release. 

Edited by tozmervo

Did anybody get any of that Hoppy Holidays from NoDa?  How was it?  My go-to store only got a case, and I don't think I got any of it (still waiting for a call).  Ballantyne HT didn't get any.

I got a 4 pack from Brawley's today. Look forward to trying it this weekend. I've tried Total Wine (off Park Rd) who didn't get their shipment when I dropped by. Goodbottle already sold their allotment. 

Was talking to a friend in the beer business last week and he told me that the Hoppy Holidays is the result of a screw up. Hop Drop was accidentally mix with a batch of something else, I believe coco loco or ramble (don't hold me to that for I was 3 pints deep). And so as not to waste product... Hoppy Holidays! Good thing is that if it does well, ^and seems to be from those lucky enough to get hands on it, I heard they know exactly how much of each were mixed so they can reproduce it and do it again next year. I might be able to get some next week from said friend. But if not, cheers.

Hoppy Holidays is pretty good, and I agree with the idea that it is a lighter version of the bold HDR. Also a little lower ABV, which I happen to appreciate on occasion. HDR has a way of hitting me a bit harder after a long day.

I hope they bring this back for the holidays next year. A little more piney wouldn't hurt.

Primal Brewery in Huntersville has announced a Dec 26 opening.  That's 2 breweries (Primal and Bayne) opening 4 miles apart 1 day apart (Dec 26 and Dec 27).

If they both actually open, that will be 5 new breweries in Mecklenburg in 2014 (Barking Duck, Sugar Creek, Sycamore, Primal, Bayne), with 14 total in the county.  That will also make 4 breweries in a 2-mile radius in the Cornelius/Huntersville area (Ass Clown, D9, Primal, Bayne).

Quick Reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDt3ts8a8dLdDVkUWxkOEtoZmJZNUN2ZEhiZ19CWHc&usp=sharing

Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Friday the 26th?

Yep, Trying to at least one new brewery every time I'm in town. 

Side Note: 

After egging them on for a little while, duckworths has started to post some progress shots of their uptown location. You can find them on the overall twitter and their new Duckworth Uptown Facebook page. Not much to be gained from the pictures, but its nice to see some progress. Hopefully they will put together a great bar.

Edited by Guest