Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Okay, the word on flights at The Beer Growler is 4 pours of 4oz each for $7.  That's a dollar more than I wanted it to be, but I guess it's worth it to try some of those higher dollar beers without having to buy a 32oz or 64oz growler.

(For comparison, Duckworth's is 4 pours in 4.5oz glasses for $6, but they disallow some of the highest priced beers.)

Edit: As tozmervo points out below, The Beer Growler prices on growler fills are GREAT.  I didn't mean to have that fact get lost.

$7 for 4-4oz pours is fair in my opinion. I think NoDa and some of the others charge the same. As you said, it's good way to taste the high octane/higher priced ones before you buy a full growler.

Edited by wend28

Based on the season opener for the Checkers craft beer prices (and selection) remain the same (in the arena club level bars) this year. While $10 (plus tax) for a 16oz (I think) beer is still extortionate it does feel cheaper this year thanks to the Knights.

Solve this puzzle for me. The total price for a craft beer is $10.83 but the sales tax rate in Mecklenburg is 7.25% -- shouldn't the post-tax price of a $10 beer be $10.73?

EDIT: Thanks for solving the mystery SouthendCLT

Edited by kermit

Based on the season opener for the Checkers last night craft beer prices (and selection) remains the same in the arena club level bars this year. While $10 (plus tax) for a 16oz (I think) beer is still extortionate it does feel cheaper this year thanks to the Knights.

Solve this puzzle for me. The total price for a craft beer is $10.83 but the sales tax rate in Mecklenburg is 7.25% -- shouldn't the post-tax price of a $10 beer be $10.73?

We have a "Prepared Food & Beverage Tax" that adds 1% anytime you're served at a restaurant or this case arena vendor.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/10/21/opening-soon-craft-tasting-room-growler-shop-preps.html

Here are some pics of Craft Tasting Room & Growler Shop opening in South End

Looks amazing! I knew that building was destined for greatness :) Hopefully this and Unknown signal the beginning of more for the S Church and Mint area. So much potential for reuse around there and good modest sized gaps for new infill.

Any more news on a brewery moving into the old Brodt Music Factory?

Pre-submittal was scheduled today. Here's the description - 

Legion Brewing

• Detailed Scope of Work: This is a remodel & change of use of the existing Brodt Music Building. The proposed use of the building will be a brewpub, engaging in the follow services: 1. Onsite brewing of craft beers. 2. Taproom/bar area for onsite consumption of craft beer and food. The existing shell and footprint of the building will remain as-is, except for minor remodeling to add doorways, building signage, and screening for rooftop mechanical units. This project will also include building a patio in front of the building, between the existing public sidewalk, and the front of the building

Legion Brewing

• Detailed Scope of Work: This is a remodel & change of use of the existing Brodt Music Building. The proposed use of the building will be a brewpub, engaging in the follow services: 1. Onsite brewing of craft beers. 2. Taproom/bar area for onsite consumption of craft beer and food. The existing shell and footprint of the building will remain as-is, except for minor remodeling to add doorways, building signage, and screening for rooftop mechanical units. This project will also include building a patio in front of the building, between the existing public sidewalk, and the front of the building

Plaza Midwood will once again reclaim its status of coolest neighborhood, once it gets a brewery.

Legion Brewing

Wow!  I have added them to my quick-ref and map, links below.  

Legion Brewing Co-Op filed for trademark way back in July 2012 -- status is abandoned as of Oct 2013 (Trademark: http://www.trademarkia.com/legion-brewing-coop-85689900.html).  The "Co-Op" part is interesting.  Website is up as "Coming Soon" -- domain was registered in Dec 2011.  Twitter is up and has one tweet -- again way back in January 2012.  Didn't find anything on Facebook.  

Trademark filing was by Philip Buchy.  Googling that name doesn't turn up much, other than he's mentioned as a committee member and/or co-author of the MicroBrewery Text Amendment along with Daniel (charlotte beer), the NoDa owners, OMB owners, etc: http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/Microbrewery/2013_01_Jan_08_Minutes.pdf

Quick-ref: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDt3ts8a8dLdDVkUWxkOEtoZmJZNUN2ZEhiZ19CWHc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

I heard from a very reliable source that NoDa has it's new spot picked out, but is still in lease negotiations so the specific location was hush hush other than it's within a mile of the current location and it will have a great rooftop patio with awesome uptown views. I believe they're planning to keep the current location open in addition to the new spot. 

I am not sure if this should be in a new "Drinking Cider in Charlotte" thread or not so I will leave it here. Red Clay Ciderworks has signed a lease to open a cidery with a 1,300 sq ft taproom close to the Scaleybark Station early next year. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/10/24/red-clay-ciderworks-finalizes-plans-for-south-end.html

You're probably all aware of the happenings this weekend, but just in case, and as an excuse to think about beer for a bit:

Today -

Mexicali Stout release at Birdsong

Fat Boy Baltic Porter release at OMB

Saturday - 

Monstro (russian imperial stout aged in pappy van winkel bourbon barrels) release at NoDa

Triple C Harvest Fest and Oyster Roast

Sycamore opening

I'm hoping to hit NoDa and Birdsong tomorrow -- I haven't ever had Monstro, but it sounds delicious to me.  I hope there's some left -- I have no idea how limited it is.

• Like 1

Yeah the weather sounds horrific, so that's what we're planning.  

Oh also if y'all didn't see it, Sugar Creek has a Porter and also a Mocha Java Porter currently on tap to go with their main 4.  Add that to the releases above and also Triple C's "The Dude Imbibes" imperial milk stout recently released and that's a lot of dark goodness available.

Sugar Creek Pale Ale was on tap today at Timer Warner Arena for the Checkers game. I got a large taste and was unimpressed -- no flavor at all, no hopps, no malt, no nothin. Its possible I was wrong since I had been drinking all day but it was not a good start for me....

EDIT: the checkers suck so far this year

Edited by kermit