Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

This may be in this thread somewhere.  Do any of you remember Johnson Brewery?  This was a Charlotte brewery last located on Central and I'm thinking Hawthorne.  The building has condo's on the second floor and retail on the first now. Or at least it did when I lived in Charlotte. I believe it was a dairy at some point before Johnson's.   They went out of buisiness over a decade ago.  I was one of there investors.  $500.00 and free beer at any of the events that they particapated in.  Attended a few meetings an had more free beer afterward. I kept the certificate and booklet. I really like the idea of being an investor and the beer was pretty good. There was not much other brewery business around Charotte.  South End and Rock Bottom are 2 that I remember.  Johnson's had no pub, so depended on restaurants, bars and grocery stores.  I think H-T or Food Lion quit selling it and began it's downfall.  Just reminising (sp) after reading a comment a page or 2 back about how great it would be to have a Brewery in Plaza Midwood.  I considered that place close enough.  

So now there's a festival for high gravity beers?  http://www.attackofthebigbeers.com/ 

(Am I the only one bothered by people writing "Belgiums", as in "Belgiums, Big Beers and Bodacious brews is what the festival is all about."?  (Never mind the lack of an Oxford comma and the inconsistent capitalization.)   Also hate the inconsistency of their poster that says "Fun. Deliciousness. Unique.".  Maybe I need to relax and have a beer!)

Being on the topic of "Oxford,"  shouldn't beers from Belgium be referred to as Belgian Beers? Not meaning to be nitpicky, just curious.

Archive Brewing Company. Anyone have any info? Is this the new Plaza Middwood brewery??

According to this article, Archive will be in "Charlotte or Matthews" in 2016:

http://cheerscharlotte.com/tapline-dozen-breweries-charlotte-area/

Nothing on their Twitter feed or website, and almost nothing on Facebook. I don't know how the author of that article even knew about them.

My quick-reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDt3ts8a8dLdDVkUWxkOEtoZmJZNUN2ZEhiZ19CWHc&usp=sharing

Why isn't there any german beer served at the german beer hall @ music factory? Why can't one easily walk there from uptown (illegally cross rails @ 9th or cut through cemetery that is sketchy at night)? There must have been a better place to locate, what is basically a place to go drinking,  than in the middle of a non car black hole? Crossed that place off my list. Can't wait for Duckworths to open on N. Tryon....

Edited by elrodvt

Why isn't there any german beer served at the german beer hall @ music factory? Why can't one easily walk there from uptown (illegally cross rails @ 9th or cut through cemetery that is sketchy at night)? There must have been a better place to locate, what is basically a place to go drinking, than in the middle of a non car black hole? Crossed that place off my list. Can't wait for Duckworths to open on N. Tryon....

Well, it follows the style of a German beer garden in that it has an open seating style. But I think, obviously, the similarities end there.

As far as "why the music factory?". I think it's fairly obvious. Economics. A lot that size, including the outdoor activities would have astronomical costs in Uptown. They were one of the first bars in the Music Factory, they are always busy and also get the added boost of serving the concert and comedy zone crowds, which are almost nightly.

Also, it's not a bad walk, I've done it before from 7th street station.

Duckworth's might win eventually, but what's the best beer selection in uptown (and/or best place to drink a large selection)?  Last time I was at Queen City Q, they had 15 Charlotte beers and lots of other state/regional beers on tap -- I was really impressed.  Brixx also had a good, though more limited, selection.  Tank's Tap at 7th St Market?  Mellow Mushroom has lots of taps and bottles, but I thought the selection was so-so and it doesn't feel like a hang out and drink place to me.  What else?  Light rail to World of Beer?

Well, it follows the style of a German beer garden in that it has an open seating style. But I think, obviously, the similarities end there.

As far as "why the music factory?". I think it's fairly obvious. Economics. A lot that size, including the outdoor activities would have astronomical costs in Uptown. They were one of the first bars in the Music Factory, they are always busy and also get the added boost of serving the concert and comedy zone crowds, which are almost nightly.

Hi, How did you walk there? I saw no good routes but have a lot to learn.

Duckworth's might win eventually, but what's the best beer selection in uptown (and/or best place to drink a large selection)?  Last time I was at Queen City Q, they had 15 Charlotte beers and lots of other state/regional beers on tap -- I was really impressed.  Brixx also had a good, though more limited, selection.  Tank's Tap at 7th St Market?  Mellow Mushroom has lots of taps and bottles, but I thought the selection was so-so and it doesn't feel like a hang out and drink place to me.  What else?  Light rail to World of Beer?

Thanks for the Queen City tip. Will have to try that. 

Not to mention a super cheap uber or cab ride, or very quick bike ride. Love VBGB. 

I don't know about the the potential for serving german beer, but the upcoming beer hall on S. Church in Southend will be another good option and a little easier a walk. Its called something generic though that I keep forgetting or mixing up. Craft something? Coming soon signage was up last time I drove by.

Dandelion Market might still be the best bet overall, though I have a more favorable opinion of hanging out at Mellow Mushroom than you do. Dillinger's had an ok selection, not sure if something new has already opened there. I've actually heard of local tap takeovers at Prohibition, and have been told that its a pretty decent place when its not a Thurs-Sat night, but I've never been. But yeah Duckworth's will definitely be the reigning champ when they open. 

• Like 2

Hooligans has a pretty solid selection now.  Carolina Ale House, though fairly vanilla, has a good selection.  Mortimers isn't bad.  Agree with Queen City Q suggestion.  WOB too.  Duckworths, by all accounts, will likely be the best though.

For walking to the Music Factory, I walk down Graham under 277 then take a left on Seaboard (I think it's called NC Music Factory Blvd).  Takes me about 20 minutes from 7th street.  Or just hail a cab for $4.  It also runs a free shuttle that picks people up at the Holiday Inn on college.

• Like 1

Queen City can be great when they have a decent special (e.g. $3 NC drafts), and it remains the best compromise (for me) of places uptown where you can sit, eat, drink, talk and not feel rushed without snootiness or clubrats or faux-hipsters. Unfortunately the atmosphere can be awful when they have indoor music or big pre-game crowds. I was also really irritated when the owner told the bartenders to stop giving tastes of the new drafts. 

IMO their service has really taken a turn for the worse over the past year, however the food and draft selection is good enough that I still go regularly when I am in that part of town.

I really miss their brunch.

Edited by kermit

There aren't really any good "people watching" bars in Uptown.  SIP is really the only place that comes to mind as far as being able to sit, facing out open doors to Tryon and actually watch the city go by.  And SIP pretty much sucks.  I'd love for there to be a bar that has a more relaxed atmosphere with a good beer selection, but adds almost a coffeehouse style "sit and drink a beer" while I look out the window at the scourge of humanity as it vapidly wanders by.  That sounds depressing, but actually excites me in my mind.

• Like 3

There aren't really any good "people watching" bars in Uptown.  SIP is really the only place that comes to mind as far as being able to sit, facing out open doors to Tryon and actually watch the city go by.  And SIP pretty much sucks.  I'd love for there to be a bar that has a more relaxed atmosphere with a good beer selection, but adds almost a coffeehouse style "sit and drink a beer" while I look out the window at the scourge of humanity as it vapidly wanders by.  That sounds depressing, but actually excites me in my mind.

Yeah that's true. I'd argue that Valhalla at Brevard Court is starting to fit the bill with the increase in foot traffic over there. The best bar like you describe is easily Growlers in NoDa imo. I love those window seats. 

Why isn't there any german beer served at the german beer hall @ music factory? Why can't one easily walk there from uptown (illegally cross rails @ 9th or cut through cemetery that is sketchy at night)? There must have been a better place to locate, what is basically a place to go drinking,  than in the middle of a non car black hole? Crossed that place off my list. Can't wait for Duckworths to open on N. Tryon....

The Music Factory was/is eventually supposed to be its own sub-district filled with offices, apartments, and hotels all around the complex.

That might be 20+ years away for all I know, but that was the original plan. The development crash in the mid-2000s pushed everything back indefinitely. I think it is safe to say it won't be isolated forever though.

People often mention the possibility of us having too many breweries... But has anyone looked at Asheville and the Triangle. Both of these areas are smaller, but I was highly surprised to see the Triangle has 20+ breweries. I knew Asheville was "Beer City USA" along with Grand Rapids, but it makes me wonder why people are concerned with Charlottes brewing scene. Seems that we could handle 3x as many breweries.

The Music Factory was/is eventually supposed to be its own sub-district filled with offices, apartments, and hotels all around the complex.

That might be 20+ years away for all I know, but that was the original plan. The development crash in the mid-2000s pushed everything back indefinitely. I think it is safe to say it won't be isolated forever though.

Avid Exchange is building its new HQ at Music Factory 1200 jobs (600 net new)