Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

RE: Bad service and lack of consistent delivery of the food at OMB. This is a prime example of why you shouldn't always expand beyond what you do well. In OMB's case, that's just brewing beer. I'm sure they will work out some of their kinks, but hopefully they didn't overextend themselves. 

You ever wonder about the health inspection rating of your favorite brewery?  No, me neither.  But that didn't stop me from looking them all up.

Most interesting to me is that dogs aren't allowed.  I figured there was an exemption for places that don't serve/prepare food.  Guess not.

I couldn't find Ass Clown, Lenny Boy, District 9, and Barking Duck.  I wonder if they are under a certain size and are therefore exempt?  Or something.

Olde Mecklenburg Brewery
12/27/2013
- Dishes must be properly washed, rinsed and sanitized. Observed employee washing dishes in 1 compartment prep sink in kitchen. Permit requires dishes be washed in 3 compartment sink in can wash room.  Food-contact surfaces must be clean to sight and touch. Observed can opener blade soiled. REPEAT. CDI moved to dish area for wash.
- Single use and single service items shall be stored at least 6 inches above the floor. Obsered single service articles stored on the floor in the stock area. REPEAT.
- Test strips must be provided to accurately measure concentration of sanitizing solutions. Facility could not provide test strips during inspection.
- Nonfood-contact surfaces shall be free of accumulation of soil residues. Observed bottom of the upright freezer collecting food debris. REPEAT.

NoDa Brewing 
6/17/2014
- Do not use hand washing sinks for any purpose other than hand washing; Observed hand washing sink full of keg collars soaking in soap water. Collars removed.
- Live animals may not be allowed on the PREMISES of a FOOD ESTABLISHMENT. Pf(3) In areas that are not used for FOOD preparation and that are usually open for customers, such as dining and salesareas; Observed two dogs inside establishment at bar area. Dogs removed from establishment.

Birdsong Brewing 
6/25/2014
- Certified Food Protection Manager; Provide PIC that is a certified food protection manager; Observed PIC on site not a CFPM.

Triple C Brewing
4/2/2014
- Containers with toxic substances shall be labeled with common name of chemical. Observed unlabeled bottle of window cleaner. CDI bottle labeled.

Heist Brewery
9/2/2014
- Properly wash, rinse and sanitize food contact surfaces; Observed numerous containers stored clean with food debris stuck to surfaces; VR needed to ensure complaince.
- Properly cold PHF (Potentially Hazardous Food) products; Observed walk-in cooler not functioning properly with many PHF products (cooked proteins, raw proteins, heat treated vegetables) all measuring 47-49 degrees F; CDI all items in walk-in cooler was moved to functioning walk-in beer cooler to cool rapidly to required holding temperature. VR needed to ensure walk-in is functioning.
- Keep facility free of pest; Observed numerous fruit flies and flies throughout establishment.
- Keep cutting boards in good repair; Observed heavily gouged/stained cutting boards in use in kitchen area in need of resurfacing.

Unknown Brewing 
12/4/2013
-- none --

Most interesting to me is that dogs aren't allowed.  I figured there was an exemption for places that don't serve/prepare food.  Guess not.

I find that kind of funny. Almost every brewery I have been to has a "brew dog" in the back and allows dogs in the tap room (if not serving food).

My guess is that is a 1pt deduction and that they don't care about. They just ask that the dog be on a leash.

Edited by InSouthPark

Three Spirits scheduled a pre-submittal meeting for their 12,000 SqFt brewery space at 5046 Old Pinevillle Road. Here is the description - 

Three Spirits Brewery
• Detailed Scope of Work: The scope of work is an existing 12,000 sf vacant space, partially sprinkled, in an existing 71,420 sf complex of mixed use buildings. The proposed project for the 12,000 sf space is a new Brewery with a Taproom. The previous use of the 12,000 sf space was a Lab/Warehouse for Auxiliary Chemicals used in Textile Dyes and Printing. This will require a change of use to F2 (Lower Hazard) for the Brew House and an A2 use for the Taproom. An existing concrete slab at the back of the building will accommodate outdoor seating. New accessible parking, an accessible entrance, and new accessible restrooms will be provided to meet Section 1.6J of the 2009 Rehab Code. An new facade will be applied around the entry door. The existing outdoor underground backflow device will have to be brought above ground and in compliance. The change of use also requires parking compliance be shown for the whole building.

Sugar Creek's dubbel is now on tap at The Beer Growler.  They also have tweeted being available at Blackfinn and Good Bottle, and say they're picking up new accounts every day.  They have posted pics of their taproom construction to facebook, including the use of 9,000 feet of 2-inch rope.  As of yesterday, they posted: "Grand Opening announcement coming soon.".

• Like 2

Another week, another new brewery announcement:  http://www.charlottebeer.com/2014/09/10/bayne-brewing-coming-to-cornelius-this-fall/

Bayne Brewing in Cornelius.  

That's 2 breweries plus 2 "coming soon" (allegedly by year's end) in the Cornelius/Huntersville area.

Updates:

Quick-ref: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDt3ts8a8dLdDVkUWxkOEtoZmJZNUN2ZEhiZ19CWHc&usp=sharing

Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

This is slightly OT but this bit of news convinced me that craft beer should no longer be considered a fad:

ABInBev is intalks to purchase SABMiller (according to this morning's WSJ). Your favorite macro (is there such a thing?) is about to become even more macro.

The lack of concern about anti-trust is suggestive of the new significance of the growing army of micro brewers.

The strange thing is I can't imagine that getting bigger will make it easier for 'big beer' to compete against the littleguys.

Edited by kermit

The best thing you can do to avoid this is BUY LOCAL.  You should always be scratching your head when you are standing in Teeter and you see a bunch of Goose Island for sale next Heineken, ect.  Why, you should ask, is a "craft brewery from Chicago" able to distribute to every damn grocery store in the south east?  They sure must have a lot of capital!  

Well, you already know the answer.

I was in The Beer Growler on Saturday, and since it was an owner helping me, I asked her about them getting a few tables and serving by the pint.  She confirmed that it's not in their business model, they're not permitted for it, they're not zoned for it, and the landlord wouldn't allow it.  HOWEVER, she said they might put in a few tables and do flights.  She explained that they can do a 3oz taste, so they could theoretically sell a flight of 3oz tastes -- and she has confirmed with ABC that there's no problem with that.  Didn't seem like anything was imminent, but maybe some day.

p.s. I got the Sugar Creek dubbel, which was pretty good.  They have a keg of Sugar Creek saison, but it wasn't tapped yet.

So now there's a festival for high gravity beers?  http://www.attackofthebigbeers.com/ 

(Am I the only one bothered by people writing "Belgiums", as in "Belgiums, Big Beers and Bodacious brews is what the festival is all about."?  (Never mind the lack of an Oxford comma and the inconsistent capitalization.)   Also hate the inconsistency of their poster that says "Fun. Deliciousness. Unique.".  Maybe I need to relax and have a beer!)

So now there's a festival for high gravity beers?  http://www.attackofthebigbeers.com/ 

(Am I the only one bothered by people writing "Belgiums", as in "Belgiums, Big Beers and Bodacious brews is what the festival is all about."?  (Never mind the lack of an Oxford comma and the inconsistent capitalization.)   Also hate the inconsistency of their poster that says "Fun. Deliciousness. Unique.".  Maybe I need to relax and have a beer!)

Nope, you are not the only one. That kind of stuff annoys the crap out of me and just makes me wonder about how legit it is. I'm sure it's legit, but their web designers probably just need an education. And I, for one, always use the Oxford Comma, no matter what Vampire Weekend has to say about it.

• Like 3

Sycamore looks good. They may not get open by the end of the month like they had hoped, but they won't be long after that (assuming the brewery is working well).

The exterior is nearly complete and the building looks good (dark paint and painted corrugated tin accents). I am disappointed that they decided to keep most of the back lot as gravel parking (there will be plenty of street parking) instead of a lawn / beer garden, its kinda an eyesore. Perhaps this is on their future to do list (along with doing something about the fence). Despite my minor whining they will certainly change that part of Southend dramatically for the better. 

has anybody had any Triple C in a while? I gave up on them because I could never find anything I liked, and (I thought) they were inconsistent in their production of mediocre beer. Does anyone like their beer enough to suggest I should take another look? I really want to like them because of their location and interior.

has anybody had any Triple C in a while? I gave up on them because I could never find anything I liked, and (I thought) they were inconsistent in their production of mediocre beer. Does anyone like their beer enough to suggest I should take another look? I really want to like them because of their location and interior.

They're actually tied with Birdsong for me as a runner up to NoDa as my favorite brewery, and its my favorite of any of the breweries to hang out at. I think their smoked amber is a great staple especially if you can find it on nitro. I like their Baby Maker imperial IPA a lot as well, but my favorite is the Up All Night Breakfast Porter. I think that one is easily one of the top beers in town and they occasionally do various barrel aged versions.

I agree with all... Triple C is my second favorite brewery. Love their space, love the Baby Maker and the 3C IPA. I do not however like the smoked amber. Overall cool place.

Was walking past Picasso's at Packard Place and their is banner above it stating NODA Brewing.  Did some one say Picasso's is closing, right?   Are we going to get NODA here?  I'd be thrilled!

Yes Picasso's is closing. That would be AMAZING if NoDa is opening a location here.

Edited by Jayvee