Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

19 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Seriously, it's like someone is trying to compare today's Birmingham with 1980 Nashville.  And thanks to you guys for going in there and setting things straight.  You guys are awesome.

For what it's worth, I do wonder why Nashville doesn't have more upscale shopping, like at least another luxury department store.  Birmingham has Saks and Von Maur, but Nashville has just Nordstrom and a higher-end Belk.  Why there's no Von Maur in Nashville is a mystery.

All the upscale retail wanted to land in Green Hills and there was no place for them to go. The Mall at Green Hills was for years owned by entities that didn't have the resources to land the big tenants or expand the mall. There were no adjacent properties of the scale to attract them either. There were no great shopping areas outside of Green Hills that were close enough to the demographic they insisted they needed to be closest to.  Mall ownership finally changed to folks that were able to expand and attract upscale tenants about the time brick and mortar began to decline. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gnash_nelson said:

Per the St. Louis FED website, for 2018 the GDP for Atlanta, Charlotte, and Austin are as follows:

Atlanta:       397B

Charlotte:  169B

Austin:         147B

In 2017, here's how they stacked up per capita as found on wikipedia.  I'm too lazy to do the calculations for 2018.

• Atlanta:  $56,840
  • Austin:  $63,839
  • Birmingham:  $48,640
  • Charlotte:  $58,064
  • Nashville:  $60,806
Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

They have got to be kidding … Right? Just looked at the post and it looks as if the Nashville boosters have put The Ham in its rightful place. Not to take away from the Ham, but someone probably made a post about Nashville after visiting here 20 years ago and not even looking at what has happened since then.

So the Ham got slammed, huh?!

As far as the shopping goes, I remember going to the Galleria in Birmingham in 1987 with my brother and there was a Macy's there-this was 20 years before Nashville had one. Birmingham, like Memphis and here in Cincinnati is a city where the rich people tend to be richer and the poor poorer so the mentality was a little different and maybe that had something to do with the broader fashion sense. Remember 30 years ago Memphis had a Lord and Taylor at Oak Court Mall (not any more though). Also 30 years ago Nashville was smaller than Memphis or Birmingham and much smaller than Cincinnati. Now Nashville has blown past Memphis and Birmingham and it's Metro area is almost the same size as Cincy's.  With the influx of folks from California and New York the fashion gap is being closed rather rapidly.

• Like 4

Nashville strikes me as a city that's historically been a place populated with boutique shoppers. I remember buying shirts/pants several times at a little shop on West End and there was a men's store in Green Hills. I don't think I ever entered the Mall at Green Hills until after I graduated. As for women, I don't remember as well, but there was a women's store across West End and one in Belle Meade. I believe there was another well-known boutique very close to the mall.  I'm not saying other cities don't have locally owned boutiques, but even Atlanta in the 1970s/80s had the large high-end chain department stores that filled that need for many local shoppers. Likewise, they were already in malls which were a destination for out of towners. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Nashville strikes me as a city that's historically been a place populated with boutique shoppers. I remember buying shirts/pants several times at a little shop on West End and there was a men's store in Green Hills. I don't think I ever entered the Mall at Green Hills until after I graduated. As for women, I don't remember as well, but there was a women's store across West End and one in Belle Meade. I believe there was another well-known boutique very close to the mall.  I'm not saying other cities don't have locally owned boutiques, but even Atlanta in the 1970s/80s had the large high-end chain department stores that filled that need for many local shoppers. Likewise, they were already in malls which were a destination for out of towners. 

I think you are correct. I think a lot of that stems from the lack of an upscale mall and all the associated stores, to the scale of an Atlanta. I shopped in a lot of little converted houses growing up in Nashville.  Bandywood, in GH, was all little boutiques in little old houses to my early memories. My mom drug me thru them countless times.

• Like 1

Perhaps they should have kept Harding Mall open with the Dillard's there and closed the Green Hills Dillard's and put a Nieman Marcus in its place.

And maybe a Saks downtown-Cincinnati still has its downtown Saks (although the downtown Macy's has closed here).

Edited by bnacincy
content

7 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

Perhaps they should have kept Harding Mall open with the Dillard's there and closed the Green Hills Dillard's and put a Nieman Marcus in its place.

And maybe a Saks downtown-Cincinnati still has its downtown Saks (although the downtown Macy's has closed here).

Unfortunately, Dillard's owned the land on which their store sat in GH. There were many attempts to change that. Nieman Marcus wanted to be here - in GH.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Unfortunately, Dillard's owned the land on which their store sat in GH. There were many attempts to change that. Nieman Marcus wanted to be here - in GH.

Almost no chance of getting  one now as NM seems to be on the verge of bankruptcy. Saks may be in trouble too like a lot of brick and mortar.

As for the Nashville v Bham debate, I don't know that it's really necessary to stamp out any instance of someone from a smaller city wanting to compare their city favorably to Nashville.  Why not let them dream and take it as a compliment that people from Birmingham see Nashville as a benchmark that is worth being compared to!  That being said though you guys are obviously correct that the two cities are in different tiers entirely.  The one thing I will give Birmingham is that I think Five Points is a higher quality urban neighborhood than any in Nashville outside the core. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JoeyX said:

We'll see what the response is here the next time one of the beigelings post.

Oh we have seen it before as we use to be on the bombing end of comments. Oh the comparisons some on this forum made to Atlanta and Charlotte in the early days of UP or SSP and SSC 15  or so years ago.

16 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

They have got to be kidding … Right? Just looked at the post and it looks as if the Nashville boosters have put The Ham in its rightful place. Not to take away from the Ham, but someone probably made a post about Nashville after visiting here 20 years ago and not even looking at what has happened since then.

I visit Birmingham several times per year since my sister and her family are there. I know it pretty well, and like it a lot, for quite different reasons than my fondness for Nashville. Gonna go have a look and comment. My username on that site is groovamos.

• Like 1